The Student Room Group

Has anyone volunteered through workaway.info?

Long shot, but here goes: Has anyone used www.workaway.info?

I've found some interesting volunteer placements - guest houses, farms, eco-projects etc - and since I'm thinking about doing a month or so of volunteering in the summer before uni, I though they looked quite good. Especially since lodging and food are provided free (in exchange for volunteering, of course).

Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hello,
i am a host for workaway.info and have found it very rewarding. I have had the same people come back again too so i must be doing something right.lol basically i provide a home and food in return for 5 hours work a day for 5 days a week but if people want to change the hours we are very flexible, we expect people to help muck in with general chores around the house as well. we ask for help with animals, building, general repair and gardening, hope thos helps a little. i find that there are too little hosts around for the people wanting to take the places. good luck with your search and i really hope you take it up, both you and the host family will gain from it. xx:smile:
Reply 2
no, but i plan on headning out myself asap through the site. The site itself seems very reliable, but its the host on the other side you want to check out.
Reply 3
Original post by Lintu93
Long shot, but here goes: Has anyone used www.workaway.info?

I've found some interesting volunteer placements - guest houses, farms, eco-projects etc - and since I'm thinking about doing a month or so of volunteering in the summer before uni, I though they looked quite good. Especially since lodging and food are provided free (in exchange for volunteering, of course).

Anyone?

i am thinking bout it cus its so hard to find anywhere to go other wise.
Reply 4
Hiya!

I want to do some volunteering this summer too and the whole idea of workaway looked brilliant but i was a little worried about paying to become a member and then not getting any replies back to my emails and wasting my money!
In the end i decided to just go for it and became a member at the end of last week. I sent out a load of emails and although i've had a couple get back to me saying they're full for the summer (not surprising really as their opportunities were advertised in the Guardian!) i've also had 3 people already get back to me saying that they're very interested in taking me!

So yeah it all seems pretty legit and looks like it's going to be an awesome summer, I say go for it!
I did, was a big mistake.

The farm was nothing like advertised, there was nothing for us to do apart from impossible tasks, maggots in the kitchen, bed bugs in the beds and they failed to mention they were canadian, so we couldn't even practise our german. after 29 hours we just walked off down the road in the middle of nowhere in Germany with no plan and little money: best week ever afterwards :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm not saying avoid workaway, but make sure you thoroughly research where you're going. Our experience really was very unpleasant, and we wished we'd checked some stuff before we'd gone.
Reply 6
eeeek thats sounds gross!! totally opposite to my experience! I went to Costa rica with workaway and stayed on a eco project on the beach.. 2 months of rent free living :smile: I helped out at a school teaching a bit of English. It was an amazing time and met so many wonderful people ..even managed to practise my español That was last year.. Now I´m packing again .. off to France for 3 weeks to help build a tree house in the pyrenees.. So yep its definetly legit but you dooo have to make sure you know where your going before you go..
Reply 7
Hey, bringing up this old thread as I have a query! Has anyone used Helpx or workaway in the past? Thinking of using in early 2014.
Reply 8
Original post by Deutsch_Beth
I did, was a big mistake.

The farm was nothing like advertised, there was nothing for us to do apart from impossible tasks, maggots in the kitchen, bed bugs in the beds and they failed to mention they were canadian, so we couldn't even practise our german. after 29 hours we just walked off down the road in the middle of nowhere in Germany with no plan and little money: best week ever afterwards :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm not saying avoid workaway, but make sure you thoroughly research where you're going. Our experience really was very unpleasant, and we wished we'd checked some stuff before we'd gone.

Tell us about that week!
Reply 9
sometimes you get your membership just to find out the hosts you contacted can't take you during the time of your trip :frown:
this is a free alternative to paid volunteering networks - a small not-for-profit project made by volunteers for volunteers completely free for everyone. www.volunteersbase.com :smile:
Reply 10
Be very very careful my daughter just used them, got to a remote ranch in Canada and got sick within two days of being there. They complained about her not working said if she was not going to the hospital she should be working. She arrived on the Sat got sick Monday worked Tuesday/Wed until too sick to work. Following Sat said they would take her to hospital instead drove her to town where she could pick u bus and dumped her there sick!!!!! Would suggest only go to hosts with quite a few 100% reviews, she picked a host that was new that was her mistake.
Reply 11
hello please i want to know if the host family sometimes gives some money (little) for helping them ?
Reply 12
is it possible to be paid for working extra hour?
Reply 13
Would like to know if more people have had experiences with workaway.

Obviously every host will be different but would be cool to hear some advice?
Reply 14
BEWARE. tried to use them, but after signing up for an account for 1 week I discovered the hosts do not reply, not even to say they're not interested. Contacted Workaway directly about this and they replied using profanity before closing my account without refunding my money. They seem to be fraudulent, as I spent $30 and got nothing out of it. Currently filing complaints/willing to take legal action if I have to. I would not use them.
Signed up some days ago. Sent out at least ten applications. Only three hosts got back to me so far, two of them saying they weren't taking anyone on atm and one offering to arrange something for me for two weeks, but hasn't responded to my second message yet.

Some of the offers are not up to date. You can have a look at a calender, to see which months the hosts are taking on workers, but mostly they don't keep it updated.
Your trip to Costa Rica sounds amazing. I know it's now like 4 years on, but I don't suppose they're still looking for volunteers??
Take your time thinking about what you want to get out of the placement. When you think you've found something which fits then iron out the small details with the host before you commit.
My partner and I were looking for an enriching and learning experience but ended up feeling like skivvies. We also made assumptions about our 'duties' when the hosts were away, they expected much, much more. Who was to blame?
I also heard a bad report from someone else's friend who landed in Sth America at a yoga retreat in the middle of nowhere. The hosts immediately demanded a lot of money (complete surprise) and then proceeded to work her 10 hours a day on a computer.
However there are lots of happy workawayers out there I think just spend plenty of time considering the above and ask for clarity from the hosts. Good luck!
Workaway is definitely not a scam outfit. I've been a member for 3 years now without difficulty. For those who say the hosts do not respond, well, as a host myself, I'd like to say that 60% or more of the volunteers who I may contact do not even have the manners to reply - not even with a 'Thanks but no thanks' response so it it isn't all one-sided although perhaps it may appear that way to anyone who is just enrolling!
In Europe it is highly unlikely that accommodation and food money is expected of you but in poor countries, they do tend to think that these 'wealthy foreigners' who can afford to travel can afford to contibute towards their keep.
I'd just like to add that communication beforehand is the way to a pleasant exchange - ask questions of what exactly would be expected of you and what the host expects in return. Check it out well beforehand to avoid unpleasant surprises.
That's life, as in anything some you win, some you lose!
Original post by patric
hello please i want to know if the host family sometimes gives some money (little) for helping them ?

No, never. And why should they? Your host pays for your work by providing you with bed, lodging, food, clothes washing, use of electricity, hot water in showers, and suchlike! Why expect to be paid too?

Quick Reply

Latest