The Student Room Group

question on student finance, dad doesnt live with me but he has worked abroad....

my parents have been separated for years and i live with my mum, however my dad has worked for a charity in Canada since 2008, and according to direct gov student finance, a parent working abroad since 08 could mean i am not entitled to fincance. Is this right? He worked for a charity and doesn't even live with us so can this affect my finance? Coz i wont be going to uni without it.... =/ tyyy :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by tezpants
There's a place in the form (the online one anyway) where they ask you to fill the marital status of the parent you normally live with. Tick the 'separated' option in your case. When you finish the application form, they will give your mother the option to submit either (a) 'decree nisi' or (b) 'a letter from a solicitor', and to choose (c) if you can get neither of those evidence items. I'm not exactly sure what choosing the third option entails, but my understanding is that they will ask you to provide an alternative evidence item, such as a council tax bill with 25% discount (which single parents get automatically), and that should be sufficient if you can manage to get it. If you can get that, I don't think the absent father would have any effect on whether you will get a loan/grant, or the amount you'll get for that matter. Give them a call to make sure, of course.
Reply 2
I'm not sure about this myself - if your parents reside abroad are you ineligible for all student finance?
what a stupid post!
The OP lives with mum - here.
Reply 4
Original post by batdad
I'm not sure about this myself - if your parents reside abroad are you ineligible for all student finance?
I'm not sure about, but in the OP's case I think it doesn't matter where the father leaves because him and the OP's matter have separated.
Original post by hypocriticaljap
what a stupid post!
The OP lives with mum - here.
:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending