Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by FDR)
    By recognising a limitation of a policy, you are still offering a balanced discussion, because you are looking at not only why a policy will be effective, but also why it may not be effective.
    Balanced suggests giving pros and cons in equal proportions when considering something, evaluating is a more accurate way of putting it as this is looking at specific problems/advantages with something and still critiquing it without being 'balanced'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FDR)
    By recognising a limitation of a policy, you are still offering a balanced discussion, because you are looking at not only why a policy will be effective, but also why it may not be effective.

The questions, as you rightly point out, do differ - in F581, the 18 markers are usually whether a policy should be introduced, so in terms of offering a balanced argument, you have to argue why it should and should not be introduced. In f582, the questions are usually discuss the extent to which a policy will be effective, so in terms of offering a balanced argument, you have to write about how it will be effective, but also how it won't be effective - but in the end, whether it be Micro or Macro economics, you can't get away without a balanced answer.
    You're describing evaluation, not "balanced" essay writing. Balanced is bland - if you know the theory well enough you can come down forcefully in favour of a policy or whatever it is being discussed without foregoing evaluation.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Everyone deep into revision now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FDR)
    I do OCR - I think it's an alright exam board for economics - at AS, you have a load of data response questions (so 1-4 markers) e.g "Looking at figure 1 (which will likely be a table) what trends do you notice, and what likely reasons are there for this" - really obvious. You get a few knowledge questions as well "What is meant by a public good?" (no more than 2 or possibly 3 if you have to give an example) then you'll have about three longer questions (5, 6, 8 marks) which are usually, comment, discuss and explain questions, in which you need to give a two sided argument (OCR emphasise this a lot - you can't gain many marks in the longer mark questions otherwise) and you can usually gain about 3 -4 marks for a diagram. Then there is an 18 marker at the end, which is basically show your knowledge (so if the question is about subsidies, define a subsidy, give examples), then analysis - what will be the likely effects of the subsidy, and the extent to which it will be effective, has to be two sided, should probably cover 3 very good analysis points, and throw in a couple of other ones as well, then evaluate (come to a conclusion).
    Apart from the possible confusion highlighted by Groat, very helpful answer- thanks! This does seem more appealing to me tbh. The exam seems alright

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomatochuckers)
    Apart from the possible confusion in the end, very helpful answer- thanks! This does seem more appealing to me tbh. The exam seems alright
    which part is confusing?

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the possible confusion in the end, very helpful answer- thanks! This does seem more appealing to me tbh. The exam seems alright
    Watch out Tomato the A2 has some tough essay questions! 35/60 marks are Part B essays.

ReputationRep:
    How's the further maths coming along? Are you still self-teaching?

I still deeply despise mechanics, but it's getting there
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jamiepango)
    How's the further maths coming along? Are you still self-teaching?

I still deeply despise mechanics, but it's getting there
    Oh god, don't Teaching is done now but haven't revised it yet! Core 3 content is done, just need to perfect papers but getting 85%+ raw in most already, I'm going to do FP1 solid from new years to going back to school, so hopefully it should be okay by then, how is it going for you?

I hate mechanics too, but haven't got the exam until June so it's just been forgotten about

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, don't Teaching is done now but haven't revised it yet! Core 3 content is done, just need to perfect papers but getting 85%+ raw in most already, I'm going to do FP1 solid from new years to going back to school, so hopefully it should be okay by then, how is it going for you?

I hate mechanics too, but haven't got the exam until June so it's just been forgotten about
    Are you on Edexcel? Don't you think the C3 papers are exactly the same everytime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 94george94)
    Are you on Edexcel? Don't you think the C3 papers are exactly the same everytime?
    Question wasnt directed at me, but yes: the same damn iteration questions, exponentials}+logs, transformations ,differentiation, ALGEBRA (omg that shouldnt even be in C3) etc the only thing thats slightly different each time is proving identities, and even this is quite repetitive at times
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm not on edexcel but they aren't the same at all for my board I'm very envious if they are the same for you, there is always a lot of things to catch you out on my board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Question wasnt directed at me, but yes: the same damn iteration questions, exponentials}+logs, transformations ,differentiation, ALGEBRA (omg that shouldnt even be in C3) etc the only thing thats slightly different each time is proving identities, and even this is quite repetitive at times
    Why you complaining? loool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kachun)
    It is quite boring not having to think much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kachun)
    oh lol, I wasnt complaining

...I think the term 'just sayin' may be particularly appropriate :lol:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd be content with that and a guaranteed 100% :mad:

ReputationRep:
    ^This

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    which part is confusing?
    Edited original post

'in which you need to give a two sided argument'- there seemed to be a disagreement on this

ReputationRep:
    Watch out Tomato the A2 has some tough essay questions! 35/60 marks are Part B essays.
    Oh yeah that was just AS. Tbf it seems all the boards get much harder at A2. It seems that I won't be able to avoid the essays it seems. Ah well

Same

As for FP1- most is fine, I personall find Proof by Induction hard, but most people in my class found complex numbers the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah that was just AS. Tbf it seems all the boards get much harder at A2. It seems that I won't be able to avoid the essays it seems. Ah well

Same

As for FP1- most is fine, I personall find Proof by Induction hard, but most people in my class found complex numbers the hardest.
    Proof is pretty hard but complex numbers isnt. I dont like matrix transformations :facepalm:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.