The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Original post by CloClo7
Just a quick question about Economics at Cambridge and whether I'd get in....I hope to do Actuarial and my PS is tailored to that (which would probably make things difficult) but would I have a chance with these:

GCSEs
3 A*s, 9As, 2Bs (unfortunately only an A in Maths and A in Statistics :frown: )

AS
Chemistry - A (85%)
Geography - A (98%)
General Studies - A (89%)
Economics (Econ 1) - A (91%)
Maths (S1) - A (91%) - have also been reliably getting 90+ in C1/C2, with 96% on both in my mocks (don't take them in Year 12 at my sixth form).

Your grades are good, so with a good personal statement you would probably get an interview. But having your personal statement tailored to Actuarial science definitely isn't going to help you when applying for economics...
Reply 1601
Original post by Tateco
Your grades are good, so with a good personal statement you would probably get an interview. But having your personal statement tailored to Actuarial science definitely isn't going to help you when applying for economics...

That's what I was thinking....might speak to the Oxbridge Application person at Sixth Form when I go back.

How difficult would Actuarial work be following Economics at Cambridge?
Reply 1602
Hey I'm applying to cam lse ucl bristol and bath already taken my a2s got A*s in my core subjects and I'm think of applying to Jesus or St John's!

Best of luck
Which unis specifically ask to look at UMS/percentages?
Original post by CloClo7
Just a quick question about Economics at Cambridge and whether I'd get in....I hope to do Actuarial and my PS is tailored to that (which would probably make things difficult) but would I have a chance with these:

GCSEs
3 A*s, 9As, 2Bs (unfortunately only an A in Maths and A in Statistics :frown: )

AS
Chemistry - A (85%)
Geography - A (98%)
General Studies - A (89%)
Economics (Econ 1) - A (91%)
Maths (S1) - A (91%) - have also been reliably getting 90+ in C1/C2, with 96% on both in my mocks (don't take them in Year 12 at my sixth form).

Your grades are OK but not fantastic, and with an Actuarial PS it might be touch and go whether or not you get an interview.

Original post by CloClo7

Pretty easy I would think - I'm planning to apply for Actuarial work. :smile:
Reply 1605
Original post by dsinghdahiya257
Which unis specifically ask to look at UMS/percentages?

Apparently:

Cambridge, UCL, LSE. As of UCAS 2012 (for economics)

But if you think your UMS are impressive then get your reference to mention them, that's what I'm going to do I think :smile:
Reply 1606
Original post by CloClo7
That's what I was thinking....might speak to the Oxbridge Application person at Sixth Form when I go back.

Why do you want to do economics at Cambridge if your interest is Actuarial science?
Reply 1607
Original post by Tateco
Why do you want to do economics at Cambridge if your interest is Actuarial science?

It's more it came up in conversation with friends, and I was just wondering about how realistic it would be for me to get it - tbh I'm not really that interested in applying, it was out of pure curiosity that I posted earlier :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90

Pretty easy I would think - I'm planning to apply for Actuarial work. :smile:

I am also thinking about actuarial studies after uni. I heard it's a 10 year course though and only 2% of the starting applicants make it through the first time to become and actuary.
Secondly, once one successfully completes actuary studies what sort of jobs is he looking at going into. Is it true that all or most of the jobs are within the insurance and banking sector ? Or is there a significant portion in other sectors ?

Thanks
Original post by economyst
I am also thinking about actuarial studies after uni. I heard it's a 10 year course though and only 2% of the starting applicants make it through the first time to become and actuary.
Secondly, once one successfully completes actuary studies what sort of jobs is he looking at going into. Is it true that all or most of the jobs are within the insurance and banking sector ? Or is there a significant portion in other sectors ?

To be honest I need to do more research myself, and I don't mind if most of the jobs are within insurance and banking (I'm guessing there are also quite a few general corporate actuarial roles). As for the pass rate, you're allowed to retake so that figure is rather misleading. Similarly I think it's possible to become qualified much quicker than ten years, I think I remember hearing that it's closer to two or three if you're fast.
yeah, well Im not too sure what unis to apply to for economics, any1 care to help?
Reply 1611
Original post by funkydee
yeah, well Im not too sure what unis to apply to for economics, any1 care to help?

Any more information to give? You could try doing looking at a random league table, then using the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th values of the Fibonacci sequence to pick them, why not eh?
Original post by Tateco
Apparently:

Cambridge, UCL, LSE. As of UCAS 2012 (for economics)

But if you think your UMS are impressive then get your reference to mention them, that's what I'm going to do I think :smile:

I didn't realise UCL are asking for UMS, do you know if this is just for Economics, or the variance courses such as Economics and Stats?
Reply 1613
Original post by crazy1234
I didn't realise UCL are asking for UMS, do you know if this is just for Economics, or the variance courses such as Economics and Stats?

When I emailed UCL, the response was quite specific that the Economics Department are requesting UMS, not the university admissions itself. As a result, I would speculate it's just Economics (and the related courses).
Reply 1614
Original post by crazy1234

Not sure, but I have an email from the admissions tutor confirming they are asking for UMS
Reply 1615
Are there any of universities asking for UMS apart from UCL, Cambridge and Oxford?
Reply 1616
Original post by Hemzo
Are there any of universities asking for UMS apart from UCL, Cambridge and Oxford?

Apparently LSE are, but that's not confirmed.
Original post by Hemzo

Oxford are finally asking for UMS? News to me.
Reply 1618
Original post by alex_hk90
Oxford are finally asking for UMS? News to me.

I imagined they did, though I wouldn't be too surprised if they did.

Btw, how busy are the PS forums around about now?
Reply 1619
Original post by Hemzo
I imagined they did, though I wouldn't be too surprised if they did.

Btw, how busy are the PS forums around about now?

Adding on to this, if they don't get busy around now when do they get busy?

Latest

Trending

Trending