Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by CloClo7)
    Just a quick question about Economics at Cambridge and whether I'd get in....I hope to do Actuarial and my PS is tailored to that (which would probably make things difficult) but would I have a chance with these:

GCSEs
    3 A*s, 9As, 2Bs (unfortunately only an A in Maths and A in Statistics )

AS
    Chemistry - A (85%)
    Geography - A (98%)
    General Studies - A (89%)
    Economics (Econ 1) - A (91%)
    Maths (S1) - A (91%) - have also been reliably getting 90+ in C1/C2, with 96% on both in my mocks (don't take them in Year 12 at my sixth form).
    Your grades are good, so with a good personal statement you would probably get an interview. But having your personal statement tailored to Actuarial science definitely isn't going to help you when applying for economics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Your grades are good, so with a good personal statement you would probably get an interview. But having your personal statement tailored to Actuarial science definitely isn't going to help you when applying for economics...
    That's what I was thinking....might speak to the Oxbridge Application person at Sixth Form when I go back.

How difficult would Actuarial work be following Economics at Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm applying to cam lse ucl bristol and bath already taken my a2s got A*s in my core subjects and I'm think of applying to Jesus or St John's!

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Which unis specifically ask to look at UMS/percentages?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Just a quick question about Economics at Cambridge and whether I'd get in....I hope to do Actuarial and my PS is tailored to that (which would probably make things difficult) but would I have a chance with these:

GCSEs
    3 A*s, 9As, 2Bs (unfortunately only an A in Maths and A in Statistics )

AS
    Chemistry - A (85%)
    Geography - A (98%)
    General Studies - A (89%)
    Economics (Econ 1) - A (91%)
    Maths (S1) - A (91%) - have also been reliably getting 90+ in C1/C2, with 96% on both in my mocks (don't take them in Year 12 at my sixth form).
    Your grades are OK but not fantastic, and with an Actuarial PS it might be touch and go whether or not you get an interview.

Pretty easy I would think - I'm planning to apply for Actuarial work.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dsinghdahiya257)
    Which unis specifically ask to look at UMS/percentages?
    Apparently:

Cambridge, UCL, LSE. As of UCAS 2012 (for economics)

But if you think your UMS are impressive then get your reference to mention them, that's what I'm going to do I think
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That's what I was thinking....might speak to the Oxbridge Application person at Sixth Form when I go back.

Why do you want to do economics at Cambridge if your interest is Actuarial science?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to do economics at Cambridge if your interest is Actuarial science?
    It's more it came up in conversation with friends, and I was just wondering about how realistic it would be for me to get it - tbh I'm not really that interested in applying, it was out of pure curiosity that I posted earlier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)

Pretty easy I would think - I'm planning to apply for Actuarial work.
    I am also thinking about actuarial studies after uni. I heard it's a 10 year course though and only 2% of the starting applicants make it through the first time to become and actuary.
    Secondly, once one successfully completes actuary studies what sort of jobs is he looking at going into. Is it true that all or most of the jobs are within the insurance and banking sector ? Or is there a significant portion in other sectors ?

Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by economyst)
    I am also thinking about actuarial studies after uni. I heard it's a 10 year course though and only 2% of the starting applicants make it through the first time to become and actuary.
    Secondly, once one successfully completes actuary studies what sort of jobs is he looking at going into. Is it true that all or most of the jobs are within the insurance and banking sector ? Or is there a significant portion in other sectors ?
    To be honest I need to do more research myself, and I don't mind if most of the jobs are within insurance and banking (I'm guessing there are also quite a few general corporate actuarial roles). As for the pass rate, you're allowed to retake so that figure is rather misleading. Similarly I think it's possible to become qualified much quicker than ten years, I think I remember hearing that it's closer to two or three if you're fast.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, well Im not too sure what unis to apply to for economics, any1 care to help?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by funkydee)
    yeah, well Im not too sure what unis to apply to for economics, any1 care to help?
    Any more information to give? You could try doing looking at a random league table, then using the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th values of the Fibonacci sequence to pick them, why not eh?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently:

Cambridge, UCL, LSE. As of UCAS 2012 (for economics)

But if you think your UMS are impressive then get your reference to mention them, that's what I'm going to do I think
    I didn't realise UCL are asking for UMS, do you know if this is just for Economics, or the variance courses such as Economics and Stats?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by crazy1234)
    I didn't realise UCL are asking for UMS, do you know if this is just for Economics, or the variance courses such as Economics and Stats?
    When I emailed UCL, the response was quite specific that the Economics Department are requesting UMS, not the university admissions itself. As a result, I would speculate it's just Economics (and the related courses).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by crazy1234)
    Not sure, but I have an email from the admissions tutor confirming they are asking for UMS

ReputationRep:
    Are there any of universities asking for UMS apart from UCL, Cambridge and Oxford?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Are there any of universities asking for UMS apart from UCL, Cambridge and Oxford?
    Apparently LSE are, but that's not confirmed.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Oxford are finally asking for UMS? News to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Oxford are finally asking for UMS? News to me.
    I imagined they did, though I wouldn't be too surprised if they did.

Btw, how busy are the PS forums around about now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    I imagined they did, though I wouldn't be too surprised if they did.

Btw, how busy are the PS forums around about now?

Adding on to this, if they don't get busy around now when do they get busy?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.