The Student Room Group

Meeting up with a foreign girl I met on the internet..

I'm from, live, and study in the UK. She's from the other side of the world (China) and also studies in the UK. We've talked for months online and have really hit it off. It's actually been a bit one-sided in that she's the one with the blatant romantic interest (don't get me wrong, I am interested too), but she's really direct about it. I think, if things worked out, we could both seriously spend the rest of our lives together!

Anyway, there's just so many things going on that it's difficult to comprehend really:

She only studies in the UK and has no right to stay here after that (I don't think).

We're obviously from hugely different cultures (she's actually from an obviously hugely affluent family in China, I'm just a working class guy).

She's in her 20s and has never even kissed someone (for reasons of tradition/modesty), I'm not a manwhore but have had sex etc

She says she wouldn't have sex before marriage but seems prepared to make me the exception.. which is good.

I've never met someone up I've met purely over the internet before. I'm not socially great and would imagine it could be quite awkward.

We study hundreds of miles apart.. so it would be an LDR..

There's no clarity in our relationship. We're obviously hugely flirty and we have even talked about getting married.. o.O but we're nothing.

So yeah, I don't know what to do! We are definitely planning on meeting up - any advice for when that happens?
Should I maybe ask her to be my girlfriend the next time we chat?
(TMI alert) She also keeps wanting to have cyber sex on webcam, but to me this doesn't really seem like a good foundation from which to start a relationship so I keep refusing, lol.

Scroll to see replies

Definately don't ask her to be your gf before you've met, she could be a nightmare and sounds like she could be quite clingy.
Well if you do, make her meet near you and make her pay for everything like transport and stuff. That way if she's fake, at least all you would have lost is an hour or two of your time.
nopppppe did this before and wasn't worth it at all. turns out the guy was so up himself and overly jealous all the time. claiming that all guys who talk to me want to sleep with me. i was blinded and thought everything was my fault.

it could work for you buy i suggest not to get too attached just yet until you've properly met and get to know each other.
Thai Bride?
I don't think she actually likes you. She just wants citizenship of whatever Western country you're from to achieve her career goals. That's the most common reason for why Asian women go for White men.

I know this because I am an Asian woman, and although I never date White guys, I know Asian girls who've done what I just described.

I suppose she could be an exception, but it sounds suspicious.
Reply 6
Original post by -starlight-
I don't think she actually likes you. She just wants citizenship of whatever Western country you're from to achieve her career goals. That's the most common reason for why Asian women go for White men.

I know this because I am an Asian woman, and although I never date White guys, I know Asian girls who've done what I just described.

I suppose she could be an exception, but it sounds suspicious.

I just gotta agree with you starlight. I'm from Hong Kong and I'm currently studying in uk. You have to be wary of this kind of girls who describes themselves as pure angels. I can tell you there is a high chance that she may have some ulterior motives, such as those stated by starlight. Coming from Hong Kong, I do not view China women in general with a positive light. If you stick with them for some time, you understand the rationale behind my stand.
Reply 7
Original post by -starlight-

Really? Where I live, loads of Chinese British girls are with White guys, and they both have citizenship of the UK, so that theory is out of the window.

But if that WAS the case with her - wouldn't that only occur if we got married?
Original post by Selkarn
I'm from, live, and study in the UK. She's from the other side of the world (China) and also studies in the UK. We've talked for months online and have really hit it off. It's actually been a bit one-sided in that she's the one with the blatant romantic interest (don't get me wrong, I am interested too), but she's really direct about it. I think, if things worked out, we could both seriously spend the rest of our lives together!

Anyway, there's just so many things going on that it's difficult to comprehend really:

She only studies in the UK and has no right to stay here after that (I don't think).

We're obviously from hugely different cultures (she's actually from an obviously hugely affluent family in China, I'm just a working class guy).

She's in her 20s and has never even kissed someone (for reasons of tradition/modesty), I'm not a manwhore but have had sex etc

She says she wouldn't have sex before marriage but seems prepared to make me the exception.. which is good.

I've never met someone up I've met purely over the internet before. I'm not socially great and would imagine it could be quite awkward.

There's no clarity in our relationship. We're obviously hugely flirty and we have even talked about getting married.. o.O but we're nothing.

So yeah, I don't know what to do! We are definitely planning on meeting up - any advice for when that happens?
(TMI alert) She also keeps wanting to have cyber sex on webcam, but to me this doesn't really seem like a good foundation from which to start a relationship so I keep refusing, lol.

Please make sure you are careful and safe. How long have you been talking to her for, and have you seen one another on webcam? Be super cautious!
Asking her to be your girlfriend before you meet up is a no no...Things could be so different when you meet in person! Also, what if in the meantime [between now and the time you meet irl] you become interested in another girl/another girl shows interest? What are you gonna say 'Oh no, sorry, I'm in a committed relationship with a girl I've never met' :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by Hailey_Lawson
Please make sure you are careful and safe. How long have you been talking to her for, and have you seen one another on webcam? Be super cautious!

Yeah, that's a good point, typing this thread I realised she had never actually proved who she said she was. I told her I either want to see her on webcam or hear her voice next time >_>
Original post by Selkarn
Yeah, that's a good point, typing this thread I realised she had never actually proved who she said she was. I told her I either want to see her on webcam or hear her voice next time >_>

Good idea!:smile:
She would make an exception for you? She said that to you and she's never met you? That would freak me out if I were you.

Be weary.
You've talked about getting married??? You've not even met eachother. Crazy....
Reply 13
Original post by merryhappy
She would make an exception for you? She said that to you and she's never met you? That would freak me out if I were you.

Be weary.
You've talked about getting married??? You've not even met eachother. Crazy....

It's just as a light hearted joke, haha.

I talked with her on the phone today.. so she's not a faker, lol.

(TMI alert) she really wants to "cyber".. that is, see each other naked on the internet, etc.. but I'm not sure that's a good idea, lol. Wouldn't it make it more awkward for when (if) you ever meet up?
I'd demand to see her on webcam before I carried on with any kind of relationship and got further involved. Just because she is a voice on the phone does not mean she is who she says she is in pictures etc.

Catfish anyone?!
Reply 15
Original post by Selkarn
It's just as a light hearted joke, haha.

I talked with her on the phone today.. so she's not a faker, lol.

(TMI alert) she really wants to "cyber".. that is, see each other naked on the internet, etc.. but I'm not sure that's a good idea, lol. Wouldn't it make it more awkward for when (if) you ever meet up?

ewwwwwwwwwww.... :s-smilie:
I suggest you watch Catfish and make up your own mind - it is widely available :]
Reply 17
lol, I'll watch it.
Original post by Selkarn

No girls closer to home? :/

Edit: to clarify no point going into such a superficial LDR for anything less than actual love and commitment.

That kind of distance kills relationships, even really strong ones.

You don;t seem exactly over the moon in love and yeah I dunno....not really worth it in your case. Find someone closer to home that will be on your wavelength.
(edited 12 years ago)
I definitely wouldn't do the whole cyber sex thing before you've met...and it also does strike me as a little bit strange that shes got this good girl image, no sex before marriage, never kissed anyone etc etc yet shes the one whos suggesting getting naked on webcam and being direct with you.

Latest

Trending

Trending