The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you have a HC2 certificate? If so you can get cold sore stuff on prescription - otherwise it's about £5 or £6 which is v expensive.
Reply 2
Zovirax isn't cheap.
Reply 3
blissy
Zovirax isn't cheap.
tell me about it, i went in a chemist the other day and it almost 8 quid!!!!!!!! for a little farty tube

--------------

blissy
Do you have a HC2 certificate? If so you can get cold sore stuff on prescription - otherwise it's about £5 or £6 which is v expensive.
well im registered at the uni health centre so does that qualify?
Reply 4
Vitamin B tablets.
Boots isn't cheap either. They rip you off with whatever you buy. They do do their own brand aciclovir - same stuff as zoviraz and i think its about 20p cheaper (thats from when i was working there in the summer)

To get free prescriptions you need a HC1 certificate. You can get a HC12 form (i think its that) from pharmacys and perhaps from the post office. You have to fill in a load of blab and send it off and you either get a HC1 certificate (or a HC2, which means your prescriptions aren't free, but you get money off dental stuff, opticians, and erm.. wigs :-P)

Well pointed out how most of that wasn't quite right, Blissy. Go here for what i meant to say http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23069022/
Reply 6
Jimmocrates

To get free prescriptions you need a HC1 certificate. You can get a HC12 form (i think its that) from pharmacys and perhaps from the post office. You have to fill in a load of blab and send it off and you either get a HC1 certificate (or a HC2, which means your prescriptions aren't free, but you get money off dental stuff, opticians, and erm.. wigs :-P)
To get free prescriptions you need a HC2 certificate. You fill in a HC1 form in order to obtain a HC2 certificate. A HC2 certificate gives you free prescriptions and help towards dental care and optician bills.
Reply 7
L-lysine supplements are supposed to be good - you can get it in and healthfood shop, and bigger Boots. Not tried it personally, as I'm lucky enough not to get cold sores, but my friend swears by hte stuff...
Reply 8
What about toothpaste? Works for spots, so why not coldsores?
Reply 9
TrentEnd
What about toothpaste? Works for spots, so why not coldsores?

Bacause coldsores are caused by a virus (Herpes Simplex 1),and spots are bacterial.

Toothpaste would be a very silly idea (as is dabbing it with alcohol - like vodka) as you damage the skin, making it harder to heal and actually promoting the spread of the virus into the damaged tissue.
Blistex is meant to be quite good, I think it's cheaper? Pharmacies will do own brand versions of Zovirax as well.
Reply 11
Fluffy
Bacause coldsores are caused by a virus (Herpes Simplex 1),and spots are bacterial.

Toothpaste would be a very silly idea (as is dabbing it with alcohol - like vodka) as you damage the skin, making it harder to heal and actually promoting the spread of the virus into the damaged tissue.

oops
Reply 12
Rub some salt in it :biggrin:.
There's 'Soothelip', which is 5% aciclovir, exactly the same as 'Zovirax'. Still just over £4, but significantly cheaper. Definitely sold in Lloydspharmacy - don't know about anywhere else though.
Reply 14
There's a tattoo and piercing cream called, literally "Tattoo Aftercare" (http://www.tattooaftercare.co.uk). 100% natural herbal ingredients and for some reason it works great for dry skin, chapped lips and cold sores.
Perfume or Aftershave. Just a little dab. Seriously worked for me several times.
Take it to the park.

I'm sorry, it was too obvious
Reply 17
cheesecakebobby
Take it to the park.

I'm sorry, it was too obvious
obvious only to you... :rolleyes:
Fluffy

So should not drink whilest you have a cold sore? Or at least use a straw?
Reply 19
zorirax is the best thing for cold sores except its so expencive..... i work in a hospital, so i am able to aquire it for free (sshhhh dont tell any one).

there are cheeper options but not as good

the other thing i use is the alcohol hand gell or wipes that we use at work, they sting like buggery but their good at getting rid of spots and cold sores!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending