The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Accommodation: Your Questions Asked! (NOW WITH PICTURES!!!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by -honeybee-
That's a bit different to stealing post though! Uncleanliness is due to laziness for the most part, as is stealing food. Food and post are very different, namely because it would be illegal to open the latter. I wouldn't go into your flat with this attitude as you will find it difficult to make friends. Surely you should trust that no one will steal your food until it actually happens (if it does)? :s-smilie: I can't believe someone repped you for such a socially dysfunctional post...

It isn't different at all, essentially someone still thinks they have the right to take my things. Why would it matter to you if I kept a tin of beans in my room rather than the cupboard? It's not as if it's the first thing I think, or will say when I meet people. The fact is, this happens to many, and I can't afford the risk. We don't even have money now, nevermind university, and I'm not one of those people that claim this, and then are seen walking around with iPhones on contract. Besides I'm going to have to use the fridge / freezer, and we all know how expensive meat is (Not the unethical cheap stuff).
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 81
Original post by Starbucks7
My stuff is going to get stolen, I know it.

Opening other people's post or intentionally delaying it is illegal. See the Postal Services Act 2000: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/26/section/84?view=plain

That aside, it would be plain douchebaggery to do it, and the person doing it might soon find that they have to pick up their parcels from the Royal Mail depot because the other flatmates no longer bother accepting it for them.

If it REALLY bothers you, get a PO Box from Royal Mail. They're really expensive though. See http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3?mediaId=600006&catId=400040
(edited 12 years ago)
It isn't different at all, essentially someone still thinks they have the right to take my things. Why would it matter to you if I kept a tin of beans in my room rather than the cupboard? It's not as if it's the first thing I think, or will say when I meet people. The fact is, this happens to many, and I can't afford the risk. We don't even have money now, nevermind university, and I'm not one of those people that claim this, and then are seen walking around with iPhones on contract. Besides I'm going to have to use the fridge / freezer, and we all know how expensive meat is (Not the unethical cheap stuff).

If I were you, I'd go into your flat not seeming suspicious and/or paranoid, then starting hiding stuff if anything does get nicked. If you're stuck with the kind of psychos that think they can get away with nicking whole lots of meat from your part of the freezer, I feel really bad for you! I lived with 5 other girls and never had any problems with people stealing stuff. If you have respect for eachother then it won't happen. I'm the same as you, I don't have a lot of money, but you might not find yourself stuck with mental food stealing bandits.
Reply 83
Original post by sophierebekah
If I were you, I'd go into your flat not seeming suspicious and/or paranoid, then starting hiding stuff if anything does get nicked. If you're stuck with the kind of psychos that think they can get away with nicking whole lots of meat from your part of the freezer, I feel really bad for you! I lived with 5 other girls and never had any problems with people stealing stuff. If you have respect for eachother then it won't happen. I'm the same as you, I don't have a lot of money, but you might not find yourself stuck with mental food stealing bandits.

Yeah I know you're right, I know one person who was okay, but I know I tend to be unlucky. My parents are always going on at me about it, and even when I tell them, "Maybe they'll be alright" I get called an idiot :rolleyes: My mum didn't go to uni, but she keeps telling me the issues she had when she lived with flatmates.
Reply 84
Original post by avila
Opening other people's post or intentionally delaying it is illegal. See the Postal Services Act 2000: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/26/section/84?view=plain

That aside, it would be plain douchebaggery to do it, and the person doing it might soon find that they have to pick up their parcels from the Royal Mail depot because the other flatmates no longer bother accepting it for them.

If it REALLY bothers you, get a PO Box from Royal Mail. They're really expensive though. See http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3?mediaId=600006&catId=400040

Thanks. Yeah I know it's illegal, but it doesn't stop certain people from trying, though I actually doubt this would occur because it won't be anything of use and only done out of spite, and I don't think I annoy people that much :colondollar:

Yeah I can't afford a PO Box...
Reply 85
Does anyone know what the letters and numbers stand for. Is the number the floor?
Reply 86
From page 1 of this thread:

How Do I Know Which Floor I’m On?
Simple: The number of the flat corresponds to the floor, with 1 being the ground floor. The letter is the section of the block, or the entrance that you will use. So D1, for example, is in the D section of the building, and on the ground floor.
The buildings typically have 5 floors, but if you’re a little lazy, don’t worry, there are lifts in all the buildings!

Hope that helps! :wink:

The post below is exactly what I meant. You can't go in with the attitude that everyone is a potential thief. Most people wouldn't dream of stealing post. It doesn't matter how much money you have, stealing is still unacceptable and you can report anyone who does to the residential mentore etc. Won't you get a sizeable loan + grant if your parents are too well off?

Original post by sophierebekah
Original post by nka123
Does anyone know what the letters and numbers stand for. Is the number the floor?

Original post by t'economist
From page 1 of this thread:

Hope that helps! :wink:

The info you posted isn't always correct. There's a block whose ground floor is level 3, as the building is built into a hill. Possibly Froggatt D block, not entirely sure?
Reply 89
The info you posted isn't always correct. There's a block whose ground floor is level 3, as the building is built into a hill. Possibly Froggatt D block, not entirely sure?

Yes, that's a good point. I believe that you are right in that it is Froggatt D Block which has this. :redface:
Reply 90
Original post by t'economist
Yes, that's a good point. I believe that you are right in that it is Froggatt D Block which has this. :redface:

does anyone know this for sure? my contract says im Froggatt D2 but after a week of searching im yet to find a flatmate on the internet and havent seen any D1 either.
Original post by jblakeman
does anyone know this for sure? my contract says im Froggatt D2 but after a week of searching im yet to find a flatmate on the internet and havent seen any D1 either.

I've just worked it out and there is a D2 so you're on the ground floor (because I think there's no D1). I know it definitely goes up to D7 so that would make 6 floors and I think that's right.

Oh and not everyone will try to find flatmates on fb so don't worry if you don't find anyone. If you're on the ground floor your flat will be all boys and I think there will be 6 rooms instead of 10 because it's built into a hill (if we're right about D2 being on the ground floor).
Reply 92
I've just worked it out and there is a D2 so you're on the ground floor (because I think there's no D1). I know it definitely goes up to D7 so that would make 6 floors and I think that's right.

Oh and not everyone will try to find flatmates on fb so don't worry if you don't find anyone. If you're on the ground floor your flat will be all boys and I think there will be 6 rooms instead of 10 because it's built into a hill (if we're right about D2 being on the ground floor).

ah okay. this isnt the first time ive been told froggatt D started at 3. first time i thought it was just a mistake but to then see others independently say it got me worried there was a typo on my contract :tongue:

thanks for the info :smile:
Original post by jblakeman
ah okay. this isnt the first time ive been told froggatt D started at 3. first time i thought it was just a mistake but to then see others independently say it got me worried there was a typo on my contract :tongue:

thanks for the info :smile:

I know I would be freaking out if everyone was telling me my flat didn't exist lol. I'm sure some people will pop up when it's get nearer to moving weekend :smile:
How much space is there for storage underneath the bed? Could you fit a small matress underneath or some plastic boxes? How big? Are there draws or is it an open space?

Also, what sort of temperature is it in rooms/kitchen area? Can you change the temperature of radiators and stuff or is there no control? Thx
Original post by ~*starlight*conquest*~
How much space is there for storage underneath the bed? Could you fit a small matress underneath or some plastic boxes? How big? Are there draws or is it an open space?

Also, what sort of temperature is it in rooms/kitchen area? Can you change the temperature of radiators and stuff or is there no control? Thx

The panel under the mattress lifts up in two sections... you could fit plastic boxes but not a mattress (due to the dividing line which is between each section I think). Why do you need another mattress anyway? Oh and it's really heavy so if you're on your own you'd probably have to take the mattress off to access the underbed storage unless you only want to get in it quickly.

You can def change the temperature of the radiator in your room, not sure about communal areas, I never tried.

This is for new Endcliffe/Ranmoor btw.
The panel under the mattress lifts up in two sections... you could fit plastic boxes but not a mattress (due to the dividing line which is between each section I think). Why do you need another mattress anyway? Oh and it's really heavy so if you're on your own you'd probably have to take the mattress off to access the underbed storage unless you only want to get in it quickly.

You can def change the temperature of the radiator in your room, not sure about communal areas, I never tried.

This is for new Endcliffe/Ranmoor btw.

Ooh, thanks. Won't be bringing a matress then. T'was for guests to sleep on, but they will have to do without then. I can't remember how I slept when I went to visit my friends at uni...I don't remember being uncomfortable during the night o.O
Original post by ~*starlight*conquest*~
Ooh, thanks. Won't be bringing a matress then. T'was for guests to sleep on, but they will have to do without then. I can't remember how I slept when I went to visit my friends at uni...I don't remember being uncomfortable during the night o.O

All my friends who visited me slept on the floor with just a sleeping bag. It's only for a few hours so I don't think it's too bad. If no one was using the living area some people wheeled a sofa into their room for their friend to sleep on (takes a bit of manoeuvring down the hall though).
Oh ok, I might just bring a superthin camping matress then. It folds into three and is the size of a cushion, so should be fine to store. Do you remember what sort of temperature there was usually? Did anyone ever feel cold or too hot?
Reply 99
Hey! Does anyone know if there is a cable in the room to connect a TV? Or do I have to buy one? I'm trying to finish my shopping list and I want to arrange every detail... Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending