The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannydee
I'm feeling very motivated today after having stepped on the weight/height/BMI/Body fat machine at the gym yesterday.
It appears I'd been under some illusions about my weight, due to the scales at home being about half a stone out!

Here are my new (real) stats from the print-out (although I did weigh with clothes on):
Height: 5'7.7"
Weight: 11st 10lbs
BMI: 25.3
Body Fat: 32.3%

The weight was a shock, as my at home scales have been telling me I'm 11st 4 at the moment, but the body fat percentage is where the big EEEK! comes from. 33.4% is where you get into the 'Poor' range. Currently 'Average' (28%+ apparently) but want to be 'Good' or 'Excellent, obviously!
More reason to start using my new gym membership at least 3-4 times per week. I'm looking forward to weighing myself again in few weeks and comparing the difference. :smile:

Body fat machines are not that accurate anyway so I would take that body fat result with a pinch of salt. Plus scales can vary in weight a lot so I won't worry about the difference either
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Lost 2lbs this week! :biggrin:. So, that's 63lbs lost, 42lbs to go. I love watching it creep closer and closer to the end!!

Tried to rep you again but.....

Condrats on your weight loss those small changes each week adds up to the big numbers overall. Not far to go now before you reach your target weight
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Thank you! It's really good as well because I know for a fact I could do so much more on the exercise front so my "lose a stone before going back to uni" thing is looking like a total possibility!

Wish I had the "urge" to exercise this morning, but bank holidays for me are just about sitting inside watching rubbish on the TV haha :biggrin:.

Well I really didn't feel like it this morning but I knew I'd be kicking myself for the rest of the day if I just spent it sat on the sofa. I surprised myself once I got there though, I was shattered but I still manage to work hard and put myself through it. I just hope all this extra effort is going to pay off on the scales on Thurs

Well, the gym yesterday was absolutely brilliant! I think I'm hooked, and can't actually believe it's the first time I've bothered to try out a gym. I signed up and got a discount on my monthly fee too (34 instead of 38) because my boyfriend works for a big local company so we both get corporate rates :smile:
Think I'll go back tomorrow morning :smile:

Well done on signing up...see I knew you would love it. I was the same. I had a free day pass and signed up straight away. I loved it...still do! We will be 10 stone in no time x
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm feeling very motivated today after having stepped on the weight/height/BMI/Body fat machine at the gym yesterday.
It appears I'd been under some illusions about my weight, due to the scales at home being about half a stone out!

Here are my new (real) stats from the print-out (although I did weigh with clothes on):
Height: 5'7.7"
Weight: 11st 10lbs
BMI: 25.3
Body Fat: 32.3%

The weight was a shock, as my at home scales have been telling me I'm 11st 4 at the moment, but the body fat percentage is where the big EEEK! comes from. 33.4% is where you get into the 'Poor' range. Currently 'Average' (28%+ apparently) but want to be 'Good' or 'Excellent, obviously!
More reason to start using my new gym membership at least 3-4 times per week. I'm looking forward to weighing myself again in few weeks and comparing the difference. :smile:

Well at least you have something to look back at in a couple of weeks once you've regularly been to gym/classes etc. I have been tempted to use those machines myself but I don't really want to know my body fat % to be honest. I think I'd find it disheartening and I feel like I'm doing really well at the moment. Maybe in a couple of months when the weightloss slows down I'll do it then and it will give me another marker to use. It's funny cos our height's are exactly the same haha...it's just easier saying 5ft 8 :smile: If it's not too personal can I ask where in the NW you are?
Reply 1964
Original post by Aemiliana
Haha thanks, but the top half of my head has 3 ears, 5 ears and an arm. Sorry to disappoint! :p:

Prove it!

We demand to see more pictures of your complete head :smile:
Original post by dreaminchicken

Original post by dreaminchicken
Well at least you have something to look back at in a couple of weeks once you've regularly been to gym/classes etc. I have been tempted to use those machines myself but I don't really want to know my body fat % to be honest. I think I'd find it disheartening and I feel like I'm doing really well at the moment. Maybe in a couple of months when the weightloss slows down I'll do it then and it will give me another marker to use. It's funny cos our height's are exactly the same haha...it's just easier saying 5ft 8 :smile: If it's not too personal can I ask where in the NW you are?

Yeah, that was my thinking - it's a way of tracking my progress if nothing else! Thank you for kind of spurring me on with the gym thing - I think the reassurance from you (and some others on here) that it wasn't scary is what made me ask the boy to take me as a guest yesterday!
I've PM'ed you RE my location :smile:

--------------

Just got back from the cinema - watched One Day (oh my god, so many tears!) and managed to resist the toffee popcorn my friend kept trying to shove in my face! I did have a minstrel though, haha.

Think I'm going out for a meal tonight because it's the boy's birthday and he's planned a little get-together with some of the guys and I. Should be good. I will try and be sensible with regards to alcohol though because I'm going to the gym tomorrow morning :smile:
I'm going out for a meal tonight and am trying to kick sugar... I so want to order cheesecake for starter, main and dessert!
I'm finally settling into running better.
It'll never be that comfortable I don't think, because I hate it, but it's the only exercise I can do most days. Another good day for the running anyway :smile: still kept up with my fitter housemate, despite a bad ankle, and am feeling positive :smile:
I had porridge with strawberries for breakfast, pasta for lunch, and am about to cook pork chops with veg. :smile: I haven't weighed myself for a few weeks, but I'm quite excited to actually. I've had compliments and everything.
Reply 1968
Hey, I'm just back from a run and I wanted to ask a question:

Does anyone else get chavs running in your way, apparently trying to stop you? I've got that a few times and I have no idea what they're up to...
Has anyone here tried muay thai/thai boxing? I want to take up a new sport/class when I get back to uni, and I'm looking at either thai boxing or belly dancing.

I'm also planning on taking my dance shoes back with me, and going to back to dance lessons. Only thing is, I won't be able to that often, cause all the classes are at weekends, and I see my boyfriend every other weekend.

-----

Got my new phone today (HTC Incredible S :love:), and one of the first apps I downloaded was MyFitnessPal. I've been using foodfocus up until now, but so far I like MFP better. Although it has showed me that I eat too much sugar (mainly in the form of fruit).

I've pulled out of my half-marathon. I feel disappointed in myself, but it was getting to the point where I was finding running stressful rather than enjoyable.
Original post by Leipzig
Hey, I'm just back from a run and I wanted to ask a question:

Does anyone else get chavs running in your way, apparently trying to stop you? I've got that a few times and I have no idea what they're up to...

Yeah, when I run back at home (non-uni home) and I'm at my boyfriends there are always dickheads around. They either run along side you to take the piss, or shout things at you. It's really off-putting.

Try find a nicer place to run :smile: Or else, play music while you run and do your best to ignore them. Idiots.
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];33727706']-

Got my new phone today (HTC Incredible S :love:), and one of the first apps I downloaded was MyFitnessPal. I've been using foodfocus up until now, but so far I like MFP better. Although it has showed me that I eat too much sugar (mainly in the form of fruit).

I just made the switch from FoodFocus to MyFitnessPal today! Mainly because FoodFocus is pretty limited for exercise-logging (i.e. they don't have crosstrainer/elliptical or pilates!). I'm liking it better so far too - there are more foods on the database, there's a community and it's much easier to use. Hopefully I'll be able to warrant the purchase of a new phone soon so that I can use MFP on it, haha. :colondollar:
I'm having a really good day today on the exercise front. Just done a 45 minute workout dvd after the gym this morning and it wasn't half as bad as I expected. Really pleased with myself. Gonna have a nice long soak in the bath. Think I'm gonna have a salad with some quorn meatballs followed by some fruit.

I'm one happy lady today :smile:
Just had a lovely meal, stuffed myself, but I was ensuring that my *insert fancy hormone that burns fat here* level was nice and high (anyone else been reading that thread today??) haha. Mission accomplished there, now off for a run.
Aahhh the battery in my scales has gone!! Feel lost without them! Need to weigh myself at least every morning lol I'm so bad like that.. but need to see if there's anything going wrong (or right) during the week. May hold a funeral for it. No sausage rolls, obviously.
Reply 1975
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Yeah, when I run back at home (non-uni home) and I'm at my boyfriends there are always dickheads around. They either run along side you to take the piss, or shout things at you. It's really off-putting.

Try find a nicer place to run :smile: Or else, play music while you run and do your best to ignore them. Idiots.

Oh, they're just trying to be funny are they? That's fine then, I thought they were trying to rob me :redface:

I usually just stick to the treadmill in my work's gym anyway, I just thought I'd be adventurous on the Bank Holiday Monday...
Morning everyone!

All ready to go to town and get batteries for my scales ;-). Ha ha. But I'm kind of worried incase the drop in weight has just been my batteries slowly draining of energy over the past few months and therefore not measuring the weight properly :'(. Probably a bit silly of me but I can't help worrying incase the next time I step on them they say 18 stone again!!

:biggrin: All's good.
Morning :smile:

Just been for my first 'proper' (outisde) run in about 3 weeks. I really need to start going more often, cause I found it quite tough. But I managed 2.6 miles, which isn't too bad :smile:
Decided to come back on the wagon, need to lose some weight before Uni, stuff just kept coming up that was unrealistic for me to be dieting through, A level results,Leeds fest and a trip to my Grandmas.

Going to try the 5k challenge thing and will hopefully start tonight.
Foodwise though I struggle with lunches as I'm okay making low calorie breakfasts and dinner any advice?
Had a very successful morning at the gym :smile: burned around 400 calories (according to the machines) in an hour an half, so I'm pleased with that!
Going to a spin class tonight with my friend as well so this afternoon I'm trying to figure out where to pull all the extra calories from to make sure my calorie deficit isn't too large! Might make a fruit smoothie or something fun :smile:

Latest