The Student Room Group

Borrowing ID.

My sister's desperate to go out on A Level results night but she's only 17.
She's used my old expired passport before but usually on quiet nights, however thursday is going to be really busy as it's A Level results and one of the main night round here and from my experience everybody gets ID'd at the doors.

Now I feel really mean not letting her use it because I've let her before and she really wants to go out, but I'm scared she'll get it confiscated. I need to renew it before the end of October so if it's confiscated I might not get it back etc.

She's now in a really bad mood with me because I don't want to let her use it but I don't want her night to be spoilt if she doesn't get in or gets it confiscated. What should I do? What would anyone else do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
????
Reply 2
If I was in that situation I would let her borrow it, but if she get caught using a fake ID to buy alcohol it will get nto only her into bother but also you, so in that respect it might not be worth it
It depends how much you look like each other.

I personally wouldn't, most people I know who've borrowed I.D have had it took off them. I don't think you get into trouble, but if it gets passed onto the police they keep a record of it.
dont risk it.
I personally don't see the hype of drinking/going out and all that, but why not throw a party at home or something? That way she can still party/drink or whatever, but there won't be the worry of getting ID'd. It'd probably work out cheaper as well. I might not be a drinker, but I know buying crates at the super market works out miles cheaper than drinks at a bar.
Original post by Anonymous
I personally don't see the hype of drinking/going out and all that, but why not throw a party at home or something? That way she can still party/drink or whatever, but there won't be the worry of getting ID'd. It'd probably work out cheaper as well. I might not be a drinker, but I know buying crates at the super market works out miles cheaper than drinks at a bar.

Her friends have all decided to go out that night :frown:
I suggested she went on Friday when it would be quieter but she wants to go thursday. She's not even getting her actual A Level results, but she just doesnt want to be left out if all her friends are out. I don't know how they're getting in either actually, but they all have boobs and bums. My sister is a skinny little thing and I'm worried she looks too young so she will deifnitely get ID'd but whether she'll get away with it is the thing.
Reply 7
Personally I would tell her that she can borrow it only if she agrees that if it does get confiscated then she doesn't tell anyone that you let her use it. If it does get confiscated you can go and collect it, so you'll still be able to renew your passport in plenty of time.

To be honest there is a very small chance it will get confiscated. My sister and I look nothing alike and she gets away with using my passport frequently. If a bouncer is suspicious they will normally ask for something like the date of birth, so as long as she knows all these details (which tbh she should as your sister) then she should have no problems. Also I've only ever heard of ID being confiscated when a fuss is kicked up, normally they will say they don't believe it's you and give it back, she then just has to go without saying anything else.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Just be aware that letting her use your ID is fraud by deception and you will both be charged with it if she gets caught, because of her age she's no doubt got a big mouth...
My sister's desperate to go out on A Level results night but she's only 17.
She's used my old expired passport before but usually on quiet nights, however thursday is going to be really busy as it's A Level results and one of the main night round here and from my experience everybody gets ID'd at the doors.

Now I feel really mean not letting her use it because I've let her before and she really wants to go out, but I'm scared she'll get it confiscated. I need to renew it before the end of October so if it's confiscated I might not get it back etc.

She's now in a really bad mood with me because I don't want to let her use it but I don't want her night to be spoilt if she doesn't get in or gets it confiscated. What should I do? What would anyone else do?

If the passport is expired then I don't understand why it would even matter if it got confiscated (which I doubt it would) ? I'd say let her use it, it's unlikely it will get taken off her. Just make sure she agrees that if it did get taken off her, that she takes all the blame and says she nicked it off you rather than that you let her take it.
Reply 10
Fraud Act 2006. Read it.
My friend borrowed my ID and I had to prove to the bouncers that the ID was actually me when he got away with it. It took my at least 6+ cards and an interrogation to prove it was my ID.
Ive had diffedrent experiences with borrowed i.d so not really sure. I used my cousins i.d once when i was 16 and it worked fine but have had a friend get turned away using borrowed i.d (although it wasnt conviscated.)

I thought expired i.d couldnt be used anyway?? I though it must be valid i.d?
Reply 13
If you do decide to lend it to her make sure she knows your date of birth, star sign (yes my friend was asked this once:colonhash:) etc.
I've borrowed ID before and I've been fine. However once I lent someone my driving license and she got it taken off her, cos she was retarded and didn't learn a thing on the license. Stupid. If you lend it to her, make sure she learns everything. Luckily I got mine back, as I begged the bouncer, but people aren't always so forgiving :/
I knew a guy who got his OWN I.D confiscated before because it was IRISH.
The bouncer thought it was a fake, so gave it to the police who then took it to the station to study,, and the guy had to present his passport to get it back. The next day, because the police officer had gone on a call out he had to wait all day to get it back and after all that it was real. Ridic. So yeah they can confiscate them but tbh I don't see why a bouncer would be that bothered, just turn the customer away from the club if you don't think its real. I was so annoyed haha when this happened as I was there.
I'm going to lend it to her but I've warned her not to argue if she doesn't get in places with it just to walk away. I need my expired passport because I need to send it off to renew it so it does matter if it gets lost, but she'll have to pay the extra if it does!
I'm going to lend it to her but I've warned her not to argue if she doesn't get in places with it just to walk away. I need my expired passport because I need to send it off to renew it so it does matter if it gets lost, but she'll have to pay the extra if it does!

from what ive heard when they confiscate it aslong as she says, she took it without your permission theyll try and give it back to you however this might not be true as ive never seen someone have to use fake id as people here dont get id'd especially on a night like tonight where people wanna celebrate quite frankly i think its disgusting that places will id tonight
Original post by kopite493
people here dont get id'd especially on a night like tonight where people wanna celebrate quite frankly i think its disgusting that places will id tonight

Of course eveyone is going to get IDed it's results day and many people under 18 will want to go out on the lash with their mates. Nowhere is allowed to serve lcohol to those under 18 regardless of the night, maybe if there is a huge crowd your college council socials rep of whoever could have organised an alcohol free night with a club so those under 18 could go out too!
Reply 19
I had fake ID before and not one single place ever confiscated it from me, the only said "sorry, no can do" or w/e.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending