The Student Room Group

Too late to sleep!

So I start work at 3am tomorrow today:frown: So that means leaving at 2.30 am. Im still in holiday mode and used to staying up late and have a ten hour shift to look forward to. No point going to bed now as I would need to get up at 2.10am and it would take 30mins + to sleep. At least the bosses are away to Hong Kong for business!

What would you/do you do in these situations?
just relax :smile: read a book listen to your ipod
Personally I would definitely take a nap, otherwise I'd surely fall asleep at work!
Well, i myself would have a power nap for an hour. I've done this a fair few times after a night out when i've had to go to school the next day or catch an early bus and it usually means i'm not completely dead :smile:

Although, i have many friends who've tried to do the same, but can't because they don't wake up to their alarms. So, if you're like that, you're just going to have to stay awake and push your way through the day, and try not to pass-out :lol:

I advise lots of coffee/tea/energy drinks/making sure you stay pre-occupied!
Sit on TSR with a film in the background and wish I could fall asleep...

Ok so I don't have to be up at any particular time; but I think it still counts? :smile:
And 2.30am!? Dude that sucks :\
Original post by I_like_yumyums
Sit on TSR with a film in the background and wish I could fall asleep...

Ok so I don't have to be up at any particular time; but I think it still counts? :smile:
And 2.30am!? Dude that sucks :\

Need to get stuff out to catch a plane
Reply 6
Coffee would be my best friend.
Original post by nerd434
Get everything prepared for work, get something to eat and drink, maybe have a shower to wake yourself up? Then just relax!

Thats the plane got a twix and some irn bru lol

Original post by manic_fuzz
Well, i myself would have a power nap for an hour. I've done this a fair few times after a night out when i've had to go to school the next day or catch an early bus and it usually means i'm not completely dead :smile:

Although, i have many friends who've tried to do the same, but can't because they don't wake up to their alarms. So, if you're like that, you're just going to have to stay awake and push your way through the day, and try not to pass-out :lol:

I advise lots of coffee/tea/energy drinks/making sure you stay pre-occupied!

I spent two weeks sleeping through my gfs alarms which is weird because I don't ususally but not risking it I guess
Reply 8
I'd stay awake. That said, the number of all-nighters I pulled at uni (including once staying up for 78 hours) means that my wakefulness has deteriorated; I can no longer even make it to 24 hours before passing out. So I'd just have gone to bed earlier...
Reply 9
i'd just stay up tbh. i work better on no sleep than just 1 hour of sleep, but then im used to staying awake and not sleeping much (though going to uni for the day after 2 days with zero sleep is probably not recommended and even then i still didnt sleep till 2am the next morning).

just get everything packed for work, set an alarm or 2 just in case you do drift off to sleep and then then do something that keeps you occopied till you start work. have a shower in morning to make you feel more awake and caffeine if needs be to stay awake at work.
Does anyone live in the west of Scotland who wants a shift?lol
Original post by nerd434
What time are you working till?

Not real time set. But its looking about ten hours. I work grading.kiloing, packing and sending out Razor clams. When we send the last orders out and clean up we're done. Annoying and good not having set hours.
Original post by miss_sporty
just relax :smile: read a book listen to your ipod

I lost my Ipod jumping about Celtic park:frown:
Reply 13
If you've still time, take a 100 minute nap. Sleep cycles are about 90-100 minutes long so completing a full sleep cycle gives you enough rest to keep on going (passing all my university exams with last-minute studying and 100 minute naps the night before serves as my proof :p: ). Buy a pair of red bulls on the way and you're sorted.
Reply 14
Get some of those glasses with eyes drawn on them and ask not to be bothered at work as you intend to do lots of work today.
Original post by CD2112
Get some of those glasses with eyes drawn on them and ask not to be bothered at work as you intend to do lots of work today.

Lol I work at a scale! I can imagine it. "Andy you've been weighing that kilo all day, and what the **** are you wearing on your face!"
Relax at least. And if this is going to be a permanent thing then get into a sleeping pattern asap.
Just home from work 12 hour shift! I am almost dead
i would personally drink lots of coffee and energy drinks and sit up and do some uni/college work. but don't do it too often as your immune system will be lower and you will find it harder than normal to fight off infections. Also expect to feel a bit achey and sore the nxt day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending