The Student Room Group

Been Terminated as a Student from University

Hello, I have just been terminated from uni and not sure what my options are now.
I have finished my second year but failed a lot of mobiles.
I don't understand why I am not allowed to repeat the year.

Does anyone know what i can do.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
'Failed a lot of mobiles'? :rolleyes:
Reply 2
What course it is OP? What was your average grade?

The uni might feel like you are not making any real progress
Reply 3
Original post by Daniiel
'Failed a lot of mobiles'? :rolleyes:

Hey

We all make spelling errors when we are tired you know :tongue:
Reply 4
I failed 6, and passed 2
Reply 5
Original post by Rokit
Hey

We all make spelling errors when we are tired you know :tongue:

But how do you go from modules to mobiles. :eek:

Besides, quote also answers why they're probably chucking him out. :colone:
No, not unless you were unfairly dismissed. Did you also fail in your first year? It may be the policy you are unable to have progression hindering failures more than once.
You may be able to transfer your credits over to another university or the Open university.
Reply 8
I didn't fail first year, but why cant i repeat the second year. i want to finish the course how do i do that can i apply somewhere else or apply at same uni again later on.
i just dont want to repeat first year.

Thanks
Reply 9
If you put the work in the first place (not withstanding mit circ which didn't happen since you got kicked off) you wouldn't be in this position
Reply 10
It does sound a little bit harsh as you passed first year first time but failing 6 out of 8 modules in a year is the most likely reason, particularly if you only scraped the other two. Did you have retakes in the summer which you also failed or did you only get one attempt?
Reply 11
Appeal with the union, although you'll need to come up with a reason for your failure. Ring (don't email) them tomorrow, you'll have to be quick as I'm guessing your year will be started very soon if it hasn't already.

And as to Serano, you have no idea how hard some degrees are. Many people put the work in, but for subjects at the top universities like engineering, biochemistry etc it can't be extremely difficult to get to grips with the material, even when putting maximum effort. So unless you're flying through a BSc at oxford, I really don't think you can comment.
Reply 12
Original post by Alanine

And as to Serano, you have no idea how hard some degrees are. Many people put the work in, but for subjects at the top universities like engineering, biochemistry etc it can't be extremely difficult to get to grips with the material, even when putting maximum effort.

well said.
Phone them up, and tell them I'll be back!

Spoiler

Reply 14
I expect there's something in the regulations about the maximum number of modules you can re-take.
You *might* be able to re-take the year as an external student which means you'd be funding yourself for living expenses and you can convince them you're a good bet rather than a waster.
I've gotta say, when people have been kicked out of my place and it's either been after a meeting with academic and admin staff, Or after several attempts from the uni to organise a meeting have been ignored.
Reply 15
Original post by Alanine

And as to Serano, you have no idea how hard some degrees are. Many people put the work in, but for subjects at the top universities like engineering, biochemistry etc it can't be extremely difficult to get to grips with the material, even when putting maximum effort. So unless you're flying through a BSc at oxford, I really don't think you can comment.

This will sound harsh but...
If people cannot understand their basic course material then they shouldn't be allowed to continue on. No matter how hard they try. Particularly in fields like those you mention.

When I walk over a bridge I expect that the engineer who designed it knew what they were doing. You don't get points for effort in the real world.

ETA: OP, contact your course tutor and ask what you can do, but I personally wouldn't feel too optimistic about your chances. Failing 3/4 of your 'mobiles' [sic] is not an awesome record.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Alanine
Appeal with the union, although you'll need to come up with a reason for your failure. Ring (don't email) them tomorrow, you'll have to be quick as I'm guessing your year will be started very soon if it hasn't already.

There's no such thing as BSc at Oxford!

negged for pointing out a fact? Unbelieveable
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by ultimate mashup

Original post by ultimate mashup
There's no such thing as BSc at Oxford!

He meant a BSc(hons) in a particular subject.
Original post by *Hakz*
He meant a BSc(hons) in a particular subject.

There's no such thing as a BSc(hons) at Oxford either. For traditional reasons they mainly only do BA (hons)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrees_of_the_University_of_Oxford
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
What went wrong?
I don't think they're going to give you extenuating circumstances without evidence that pre-dates the failures but you'll need to identify and sort out any problems you've got before you take on any other study imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending