The Student Room Group

unpaid tuition due court please help

Hi everyone with insight, i had an unpaid tuition following my redrawal
from a course in my first semester.
I had applied student finance through a different uni the previous year and informed them of change of institution and course. Slc ask me to inform the institution to contact them by sending them proof of admission.
I contacted the uni on several occasion to make sure they had sent the requested info and on each visit to finance, im told yes. I redrew from the course after the first semester.
The uni later sent me a bill of £1258 as tuition due to the 40% policy on redrawal.
I tried on several occasion to resolve the issue as to why the matter has not been dealt with by the slc. Or could it be that the uni did not send the info required by thee slc. I ignored all their court threats because my i argument was if someone at the office failed to do their job after i had filled all the necessary paper work to enable the uni claim the fees.
I am trying to defend the matter at court for failure to send info to slc instead running after me for monies.

What do you guys think about my case? Any thoughts welcome. Thanks
I think if you withdraw before Xmas SFE don't pay your fees....hense the uni are chasing you, not SFE.
Reply 2
Yes the uni is chasing me but they are not acknowledging the fact that without accepting my method of payment (SLC) which i signed to them, I could not be enrolled. if the slc had any other issue with regards to the release of the fee they would have informed me but because the uni by mistake did not do theit and any time i contacted the slc they say we have not heard from the uni.
Original post by profeeh
Yes the uni is chasing me but they are not acknowledging the fact that without accepting my method of payment (SLC) which i signed to them, I could not be enrolled. if the slc had any other issue with regards to the release of the fee they would have informed me but because the uni by mistake did not do theit and any time i contacted the slc they say we have not heard from the uni.

I don't think you're writing very clearly - can you clarify? You dropped out of uni. Uni are now chasing you for fees, but you think student finance should pay them? Is that right?

Ok, I'm not 100% sure about this, but presumably you enrolled, saying you would be getting a loan to pay your fees - uni said fine, that's how most people pay. However, I THINK if you withdraw early, student finance no longer give you that loan (I'm not 100% sure about this but have heard it before - if it is the case then it will be written in the T&Cs you signed when you arranged your loan) and you have to pay the fees up front. SFE don't really need to inform you, because you would have realised this when you read the T&Cs before you signed them.
In other words, its nothing to do with the SLC, they will not pay your fees as you withdrew early. You are responsible for paying, so need to arrange directly with the uni.
Reply 5
ouch
Reply 6
I had this happen to me when I withdrew last November or so form my course - they charged me half a semesters' worth of fees because as others have said, if you withdraw before a certain date, SLC will not pay them. I did not know that before I withdrew however, so I can see why you're confused. I eventually heard nothing off them for ages and then they took it to a dla (debt collection agency) who threatened me with legal and court action etc, so thanks to my bf's mother, I am now able to pay them back in 6 months which is what they originally wanted. There's no other way to get out of it - you'll have to come up with some sort of payment plan with the uni, which is probably what will be gone through in court as to how much you pay back each month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending