The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Goose
Hey

I've done it about 3 times and I find it quite challenging - the first time I did it with 2 c 500g pasta sauces but now use 1kg fitbells (http://www.amazon.co.uk/York-Vinyl-Fitbell-Kit-Case/dp/B000N3T0UU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336564088&sr=8-2 I bough this set, seemed good value) It's great because it's only 20 mins long, I get up about 30 mins earlier and do it before I go to work so I get the 'afterburn' effect . Can't tell you how effective it is as I've also started couch25K and walking 2.5-3 miles about 3 times a week and changed my diet. But it's fun and while the dvd is only £4.99 you can't really go wrong!

Thanks! I'm just thinking it might supplement the gym workouts I do...in terms of strength training.

Original post by Stir fried Giblets
I'm using the smallest weights from this weight tree http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3024399/c_1/1|category_root|Sports+and+leisure|14419152/c_2/2|14419152|Weights+and+strength+training|29022084/c_3/3|cat_29022084|Weights+and+dumbbells|14419310.htm ONLY £9.99 FOR THREE SETS OF WEIGHTS! :woo:

I feel fitter and my arms seem more slim and my leg muscles are a bit harder. Not entirely sure if it is helping me on the weight loss front though

I just bought this :biggrin:

Was going to do it today but don't have time, so will start day 1 tomorrow! Exciting. Level 1 appears to be on youtube but will order a dvd seeing as it's only a fiver.
Original post by sauce
Scary, scary day yesterday. Been under the weather for ages(about 3 weeks now) and yesterday I got a sudden blinding headache, developed a rash and general other crappiness, then had really sudden burning up temperature./. Never a fun day having a meningitis scare!

At least I know it's not and I'm feeling slightly better today....still far from 100% but hoping a few days off without assignment worries will give me a refresh.

Massive :hugs: you poor thing, that must have been awful
----

OMG, just been to pole for the first time in nearly 2 months and EVERYTHING hurts. I tjink I have bruises on my bruises...
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
Considering giving this 30 day shred a go...do people recommend it? I just think it might give my gym visits bit of a boost.

Is it worth it? Have you noticed a change? And what kind of weights do people use? :beard:

It's great! I did it every day for 30 days using 1.5 kg weights for the first 20 days, and 3kg weights for the last 10! Lost 9 pounds and some inches :smile: I'd definitely recommend it, but make sure you eat well as well!
Original post by GloriaPenguin
It's great! I did it every day for 30 days using 1.5 kg weights for the first 20 days, and 3kg weights for the last 10! Lost 9 pounds and some inches :smile: I'd definitely recommend it, but make sure you eat well as well!

Thanks! I'm just thinking it might supplement the gym workouts I do...in terms of strength training.

I just bought this :biggrin:

Was going to do it today but don't have time, so will start day 1 tomorrow! Exciting. Level 1 appears to be on youtube but will order a dvd seeing as it's only a fiver.

Do you guys think this would be any good if youre just on the start of losing a lot of weight? Like I know it cant hurt, and anythings good, but is it more worth it (great grammer) to wait until at least like Ive lost 20lbs? Especially as with cardio alone Im losing alright :crossedf:
Today

1 jaffa cake, 1 big tin of heinz cream of tomato soup (plus 10 minutes of standing for the micro), 1 funsize bag of milky way magic stars, roast dinner - peas, carrots, brocolli, roast potatoes, 1 aunt bessys yorkshire pudding and roast skinless chicken breast. 3 Dairy Milk Tray Chocs.

Tomorrow is not going to be ice-cream for tea, my friend decided Harvester so can take a look and work things out (doesnt mean I wont go low on main for some dessert)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sauce
Scary, scary day yesterday. Been under the weather for ages(about 3 weeks now) and yesterday I got a sudden blinding headache, developed a rash and general other crappiness, then had really sudden burning up temperature./. Never a fun day having a meningitis scare!

At least I know it's not and I'm feeling slightly better today....still far from 100% but hoping a few days off without assignment worries will give me a refresh.

Im glad your feeling better, and that it is not meningitis. I know assignments need to be completed, but it's great that your listening to your body and taking time off to recuperate.
Original post by Jennie1987
Do you guys think this would be any good if youre just on the start of losing a lot of weight? Like I know it cant hurt, and anythings good, but is it more worth it (great grammer) to wait until at least like Ive lost 20lbs? Especially as with cardio alone Im losing alright :crossedf:

I'm not sure to be honest. If the cardio is working for now, maybe wait for a bit? It might be good to incorporate should your weight loss slow down. I'm finding it really tough to lose the last 5lbs (although my eating has slipped slightly I'll admit), so figured throwing in something new might kick start things again.

That, and if you're already doing a lot of cardio, do you really need to do more?? I'm not the best person to answer really! Personally I went by the same method- started with a lot of cardio to shift some fat and now looking at more strength training to get leaner. I don't think there is a definitive answer really! Sorry this has been completely pointless and not much help at all :colondollar:
I'm not sure to be honest. If the cardio is working for now, maybe wait for a bit? It might be good to incorporate should your weight loss slow down. I'm finding it really tough to lose the last 5lbs (although my eating has slipped slightly I'll admit), so figured throwing in something new might kick start things again.

That, and if you're already doing a lot of cardio, do you really need to do more?? I'm not the best person to answer really! Personally I went by the same method- started with a lot of cardio to shift some fat and now looking at more strength training to get leaner. I don't think there is a definitive answer really! Sorry this has been completely pointless and not much help at all :colondollar:

Yeh I thought if its working then to wait, my plan is 2xweek cardio which I know isnt a lot compared to other people but its working with diet overhaul and general outlook to be more active and eat all over better food not just low cal.
Been sitting revising all day, again.
So hardly any exercise done other than a short walk to the shops.

Cannot wait until 4pm on Friday, when I get my life back and can get into a PROPER routine to shift the rest of this weight.

Even if I don't manage to lose it all, just a little bit more before graduation would be great.
Original post by Jennie1987
Yeh I thought if its working then to wait, my plan is 2xweek cardio which I know isnt a lot compared to other people but its working with diet overhaul and general outlook to be more active and eat all over better food not just low cal.

As people say, "If it aint broke, don't fix it!".

__

I'm a bit confused as to whether 30DS is meant to be done consecutively or not? Just as I've always been led to believe rest days are crucial for improvement? Can anyone enlighten me?

Also I'm pretty sure I'm plateauing again. I'm not sure if it's due to less exercise or something but either way it sucks. I just have 5lbs left dammit! :frown:
Reply 3210
As people say, "If it aint broke, don't fix it!".

__

I'm a bit confused as to whether 30DS is meant to be done consecutively or not? Just as I've always been led to believe rest days are crucial for improvement? Can anyone enlighten me?

Also I'm pretty sure I'm plateauing again. I'm not sure if it's due to less exercise or something but either way it sucks. I just have 5lbs left dammit! :frown:

A lot of people do it 30 days in a row but I'm pretty sure I read that Jillian actually meant for it to be done: 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio and then 1 rest day. Personally I did it 4-5 days a week and usually did nothing the other days. It's still pretty much a cardio workout even though it uses weights so doing cardio twice a week seemed a bit like cardio overkill to me. Whatever works for you though! I know I wouldn't stick at it every single day so I didn't even bother haha :smile:

Went swimming earlier. The next four days are going to be full of food because I'm going to visit my boyfriend again (he's working in the Netherlands). Can't wait until he's back home. Nearly there though :smile: He's been gone since 5th March and is back at the end of May, yay!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3211
Breakfast: porridge with apple, raisins and ground almonds
Lunch: salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, red onions) with feta cheese and potato wedges. Fruit crumble
Dinner: pasta with red pesto and vegetable sauce, and salad (lettuce, cucumber, grated carrot). Plain yoghurt and fruit compote
Snacks: handful of crisps, some giant buttons

2 mile walk, 2 mile cycle
Well this guy has once again insulted me about my weight: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1961216&p=37470376#post37470376

I don't think he's got the message :facepalm2:
Reply 3213
Original post by cpdavis
Well this guy has once again insulted me about my weight: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1961216&p=37470376#post37470376

What an idiot. Suitably negged :top:
Reply 3214
Original post by cpdavis

pathetic...negged :h:
Original post by Smoosh
What an idiot. Suitably negged :top:

Original post by sauce
pathetic...negged :h:

Thanks guys!

Also, today's morning jog made my day so brilliant! All because of a conversation I ended up having with this woman that I didn't know and it was just so nice :biggrin:
Reply 3216
Is anyone else finding it difficult to afford enough fruit and veg as a student? I get 5 in usually...just(5 of a mixture of fruit and veg)
Reply 3217
Not having such a good day.. I was just going through my photos and some came up of me when I was at my lowest weight (around 100lbs). In some of them I clearly look awful and underweight but in others I can't help but think I look so much better than I do now. :frown:

I also found one of me at 8 stone 5, which is a healthy weight, and I don't look too bad. I think I'll make that my goal...
(edited 11 years ago)
Was planning on running this morning, but I've woken up and OMG I can barely move.
Every muscle hurts. Even ones I didn't know I had :tongue:
Does anyone have ideas on low carb dinners? I'd prefer something that has simple ingredients I could snaffle out of the cupboards or from shops over the road. I sorta ate half a flapjack for lunch and now have 43g of carbs left to play with. It sounds like a lot but my usual light choice meals are probably over that.

Thanks for any help guys. Oh and I weighed myself yesterday and I was 9 stone 6 pounds :woo: don't dare update my ticker and MFP in case it changes by tomorrow. Fingers crossed it doesn't!
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest