The Student Room Group

Durham or Manchester..?

I have offers for:

Manchester: Internantional Business, Economics and Finance for AAB

and For Durham - Business Finance - ABB

Looking through the modules for each course, I much prefer Durhams, but I was just wondering if people could offer some advice, would people say tat Durham is an all round better uni?
Reply 1
I'd disagree. 99% of degrees taken at high level institutions won't be questioned...they know these places have high requirements.

But yes, the Stockton issue is an important one to raise. From what I've heard, those who choose Durham over other places to study at is simply for the name. Most employers won't know that it is one of easiest courses to get into at Durham, or that it's taught miles from most other courses. Many go there for the name. A top 3 university for ABB, bargain. But would you be happy there? Do you like a name? In my view both are similar in terms of prestige for a business related degree. Even more so, Manchester offers a bit of Economics which will open more doors in my opinion.
Reply 2
Original post by srascal8
I'd disagree. 99% of degrees taken at high level institutions won't be questioned...they know these places have high requirements.

But yes, the Stockton issue is an important one to raise. From what I've heard, those who choose Durham over other places to study at is simply for the name. Most employers won't know that it is one of easiest courses to get into at Durham, or that it's taught miles from most other courses. Many go there for the name. A top 3 university for ABB, bargain. But would you be happy there? Do you like a name? In my view both are similar in terms of prestige for a business related degree. Even more so, Manchester offers a bit of Economics which will open more doors in my opinion.

The course at Durham has quite literally no Business in it as such. It is more of a split between economics, applied economics and Finance. Much better than the modules at Manchester. tbh - the Durham name is quite important I feel, and have spoken to people who are at Stockton. They all live there for a year and just move out near Durham City afterwards and just commute.
Reply 3
Original post by Hackett
The course at Durham has quite literally no Business in it as such. It is more of a split between economics, applied economics and Finance. Much better than the modules at Manchester. tbh - the Durham name is quite important I feel, and have spoken to people who are at Stockton. They all live there for a year and just move out near Durham City afterwards and just commute.

Fair enough, also consider nightlife and if you're into clubbing etc. Manchester has many more clubs and is ranked higher in world rankings :wink:
Remember one key thing: this is three years of your life which you will never get back. Make sure it's somewhere you will enjoy being. Stockton campus is pretty grim in my opinion. And Manchester is a great city with plenty to do, especially if nightlife is your thing: http://www.manchesterad.com/
Reply 5
Original post by srascal8

Since when was Durham top 3? It barely makes the top 10, and some would say it just misses the top 10 to the likes of Edinburgh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending