The Student Room Group

Tesco payslips and overtime

Can someone who has or does work for Tesco answer these questions for me please?

On your payslip does it say how many hours you've worked?

I got my first payslip a few weeks ago and it didn't say how many hours I had worked and been paid for . This made it difficult to work out if I had been paid correctly.

Do you get paid for overtime?

I've done a lot of overtime over the last2 weeks and I just want top know if I will actually get paid for it.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump

What do you mean by overtime? If you mean you have a 15 hour contract and you worked 25 hours, that almost certainly will not qualify as overtime. The vast majority of contracts are 15 hours or x amount of hours minimum, which means they can't go below that. But they can absolutely go above that without paying you extra. It is only if you hit the full-time limit of 39 hours and work 43 hours, THAT is overtime and must be paid accordingly. Your handbook or contract should state this.

As for the other questions, sounds odd alright, they really should be on it. Ask in the tesco thread, there's one around here called 'working in tesco' or something like that.
Reply 3
I don't work for Tesco, but if you have contracted hours, your pay for those hours will be listed as something like "contractual pay". If you've done overtime that should be listed separately, and will be paid but normally at the same rate as your contractual hours until you get up to a certain number of hours, usually 37.5 or 39. However, you need to check the cut-off date for payroll - the date which your manager has to enter your hours by in order for you to be payed for them that month. For example, if you did 4 hours of overtime on March 10th and the cut-off date is March 15th, you'll get paid for them at the end of March, but if you did overtime on March 17th, you'll get paid for it at the end of April.
Reply 4
i work for tesco. in the top right it'll say your contracted hours, in the bottom right it'll say overtime 6, overtime 1 3, etc that means you did 9 hours o/t in that period. overtime is paid obviously, but only overtime worked the thursday before payday (8 days before payday) will be paid on the following payday. anything 8 days before goes on your next payday..
Reply 5
Well I'm on a 12 hour flexible contract but I've done over 12 hours every week. Last week I done about 18 and this week I will do around 28

Reply 6
does overtime on other departments just go on like normal hours when you swipe your card? Do you have to tell personnel that you have done overtime?
Reply 7
I worked for Tesco one summer. Never again.

Every store has its own person or people who are responsible for making sure people get paid properly. I'm sure in some stores there are very competent people doing this job, but in the particular one I worked in it was done by a pair of complete numpties and I spent most of my summer chasing them up for overtime pay that I didn't receive. Interesting point: their mistakes were always underpayments, never overpayments :wink:

To make matters worse, and to answer your question, Tesco payslips don't show the number of hours you are being paid for, they just show the amounts you are being paid. Tesco really are a shambles of a company to work for imo :mad:
Reply 8
Im doing quite a bit of overtime on a different section, getting worried now that they wont pay me right.
Reply 9
Original post by Lisaloop
Im doing quite a bit of overtime on a different section, getting worried now that they wont pay me right.

Why don't you ask someone at work about it then?
Reply 10
do you just tell everyone on here to ask the employer? The forum would not bother to exist if everyone just asked the companies. People want advice or just to share work related topics.
You should know your hourly rate so divide how much you have been paid by that rate and it should give you a clue of how many hours you've been paid for. Also a good idea is to write down the hours you work so you can keep better track of it yourself.
Reply 12
I star
Reply 13
Wondering if anyone can help me it's a query for my other half he's recently started working tesco's is there a period limit for him to be able to so over time at other stores?

Many thanks in advance.
On the left under payments (taxable) it lists basic pay, Sunday overtime, overtime 1 (or whatever number), night premiums or whatever other categories you will fall under. To figure out how many hours do the following for each section:

Basic pay ( on the top right you will see hourly rate) take amount showing in basic pay and divide by hourly rate. This will show you how many regular hours you worked.

Sunday overtime & overtime 1, hours are listed on the lower right under additional pay information. If you take amount listed next to Sunday overtime & divide by time & a half this should match the number of hours they state they paid you in additional pay information. If you take hrs they list under additional pay information & divide amount next to overtime 1 you'll see if you're getting paid "overtime" or your regular pay. In the handbook it states it should be single pay so even though it's "overtime" unless you go over a 40 hour week this won't get you more than your normal hourly rate.

Think that's everything. Hope it helps.
Reply 15
I know this is an old thread but it's been recently commented on. Anyone working for tesco know whether you can work overtime in another store?
does anyone know what bm on my wageslip is please
BM is the hours you were contracted for on the bank holiday
If you worked you will be paid this in bank holiday overtime
Eg I was contracted to work Boxing Day so I had bm for my normal Saturday shift and was paid the hours in bank holiday overtime
Original post by Hevharley
BM is the hours you were contracted for on the bank holiday
If you worked you will be paid this in bank holiday overtime
Eg I was contracted to work Boxing Day so I had bm for my normal Saturday shift and was paid the hours in bank holiday overtime
thankyou for your reply it was very helpful
I work for Tesco & the previous store I worked for did the exact same thing to me, underpaid me whenever I did any overtime. I even had my area manager on it & turned out I was working it out much better than the woman on payroll. Of course, me alerting the other staff to this resulted in me having to sign a slip every time that I would not discuss my wages with others! I am now in another store & there's barely been any problems except when the lady from payroll went away on holiday. My advice is to put every shift you do in your phone on your calendar with how much you should be paid & work out cut off dates so you always know what you should be paid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending