The Student Room Group

Do you count processed meat as same protein content as real meat......?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
it's protein all the same, but it comes packed with a whole load of preservatives, emulsifiers, and basically fat
Reply 21
Original post by intermediary
:s-smilie: when was the last time you did shopping yourself..? I can pick up a microwave meal for 75p, whilst broccoli itself costs £1...
I don't eat microwave meals, I'm just pointing out that eating healthily isn't as cheap as you like to think it is. I'm not trying to be rude but no one really cares if you believe them or not- people can eat what they want.
Again, I don't eat microwave meals, I'm just aware that I can cook one up much cheaper than a full meat, fruit and veg meal.

You owned him in a single reply. :eek:
Drop the fatty salty sugary cholesterol-raising ethically unjustifiable meat for other protein sources such as quorn savoury eggs or mini "sausage" rolls, and a handful of mixed nuts. Sorted.

The sheer amount of CRAP people eat without realising is just... ridiculous.

I bought a little lemon cheesecake desert a week ago from Sainsbury's, tiny little swirly pretty decorated thing. I thought - oh well a little treat won't go amiss.

...till I read the "nutritional" info. Fat RED Sugar RED Sats RED; I mean what is the point in eating that other than taste gratification? And no, the bit I had did not even taste that good.

Pure junk is what we eat... even when I try to select the healthiest food I always end up buying snacky foods, it's almost inevitable...
Original post by Chronist
You owned him in a single reply. :eek:

Oh god, this is the last time I deprive myself of sleep for two days haha.
Reply 24
:s-smilie: when was the last time you did shopping yourself..? I can pick up a microwave meal for 75p, whilst broccoli itself costs £1...
I don't eat microwave meals, I'm just pointing out that eating healthily isn't as cheap as you like to think it is. I'm not trying to be rude but no one really cares if you believe them or not- people can eat what they want.
Again, I don't eat microwave meals, I'm just aware that I can cook one up much cheaper than a full meat, fruit and veg meal.

A while ago as ive been serving in afghanistan for 6 months.
A whole broccoli for your £1 will contribute towards at least 4 meals, your microwave meal will only serve for 1, therefore the broccoli is better value, and better for you.
Original post by stayce88
A whole broccoli for your £1 will contribute towards at least 4 meals, your microwave meal will only serve for 1, therefore the broccoli is better value, and better for you.

What you're saying is understandable but hes not exactly going to be eating a bowl of brocolli... as you claim its just as cheap to have nice meat, veg and fruit as it is to have a 75p microwave meal. If he was eating a bowl of brocolli for every meal (as ridiculous as that is) then yes, its likely to be the same price as a microwave meal.
At the end of the day, fresh fruit, veg and meat costs **** loads, especially when you're on a high cal diet, which is why people prefer a 75p chicken curry to a tiny punnet of mince for £4. For a lot of people it isn't even a matter of choice, its simply not being able to afford it (myself included right now).
Also, £1 head of brocolli wouldn't last me over two meals.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
What you're saying is understandable but hes not exactly going to be eating a bowl of brocolli... as you claim its just as cheap to have nice meat, veg and fruit as it is to have a 75p microwave meal. If he was eating a bowl of brocolli for every meal (as ridiculous as that is) then yes, its likely to be the same price as a microwave meal.
At the end of the day, fresh fruit, veg and meat costs **** loads, especially when you're on a high cal diet, which is why people prefer a 75p chicken curry to a tiny punnet of mince for £4. For a lot of people it isn't even a matter of choice, its simply not being able to afford it (myself included right now).
Also, £1 head of brocolli wouldn't last me over two meals.

All of these can be found at asda -

low fat yoghurts x 4 33p
300g of cottage cheese 60p
mixed salad bag 180g for 44p
potato salad 250g for 28p
250g of beef mince £1.20
100g of raisins 50p
100g of turkey breast slices £1
fresh kiwi fruit - 5 for £1
120g of sardines 34p
120g smoked salmon trimmings 90p
400g rice pudding 13p
1 pint of fresh milk 49p
6 x free range eggs £1
500g spaghetti 24p
500g pasta shapes 30p
bolognaise sauce 440g 39p
400g baked beans 27p
loaf of white bread 47p
500g porridge oats 62p
4 x baking potatos 70p

I could go on....

breakfast - porridge oats and glass of milk (37p)
lunch - 4 slices of toast with beans + yoghurt (55p)
snack - kiwi fruit and raisins (45p)
dinner - 2 jacket potatos with cottage cheese + side salad (£1.49)
snack - rice pudding (13p)
Daily total = £2.99

or

spag bol (£1.71)
4 egg omlette with 2 slices of bread (77p)
potato salad with smoked salmon (£1.18)
(edited 11 years ago)
x

Sorry but I agree with him/her. Eating healthy costs loss than eating junk food and processed crap like biscuits and pizzas. I know this from first hand expierience of changing my own diet.

You have to look around, learn to shop to a budget and above all you need to learn how to cook. I can prepare a nutritious, delicious and protein packed salad using a tin of butter beans, a tin of broad beans, some cucumber, spring onion, lettuce, houmous and wholegrain rice. This lasts me two meals mininum. The problem is that most students can't/won't cook when in reality it is both cheaper and better for you as you know exactly what goes in your meal.
Reply 28
most supermarkets now do a 3 for £10 deal on meat, this includes a pack of 3 chicken breasts, 400g mince beef, big pack of chicken thighs/drumskicks, pork steaks, salmon steaks and many others. while i know £10 isn't cheap, if you average the cost out over the amount of meat you're getting, i think it's pretty good!

but how many meals could be made out of that broccoli...
i used to make myself a stew at uni ingredients never cost me over £10, i went to the market... stewing steak, potatoes, swede, carrots, leek/onion, any other veg that looked tasty... that would do me well over 10 meals... making it less than £1 a meal... making it healthy and as inexpensive as microwave meals...

i think its easy to compare the price of a microwave meal which will do 1 meal, to that of a piece of veg, but chances are that veg can be found cheaper and be made to go further... i was lucky i didnt need to try and buy food as cheap as others may need it (i will always try and buy british even if its more expensive) but... i know that if you shop the right places at the right time you can get some amazing deals... coop in Leeds Sat night + mon morning loads of stuff reduced, loaf of (what i think of as fancy) bread - 70p kept in a fridge will still last over a week i didnt eat much bread so this is what i bought often...a whole chicken will be reduced to about £2 for 1 person that does a lot more than the 2 meals you'd get from a microwave meal... these arent things that would be found one week then not for ages... its the same every single week...
if you can get to the market at the end of the day they are virtually giving things away... in worcester on my way into town the bananas will be say £1 a bunch on the way out there 3 for £1! iv never bought meat in worcester so i dont know about that (living back with mum and dad so its not a concern of mine....) but the man is always shouting a lot more deals come the end of the day... believe that is a similar picture wherever you are....

if people want to eat healthy they can do it... but it may take a bit of effort... not just popping to the corner shop whenever but going when you know theres going to be a deal to be had... if someone says its impossible to eat healthy i think there just too lazy to...sorry...
x

Original post by KKKKatie
most supermarkets now do a 3 for £10 deal on meat, this includes a pack of 3 chicken breasts, 400g mince beef, big pack of chicken thighs/drumskicks, pork steaks, salmon steaks and many others. while i know £10 isn't cheap, if you average the cost out over the amount of meat you're getting, i think it's pretty good!

it seems... a great deal.... BUT!!! you can buy more meat and british for the same amount or less outside of the deal...
last time i went i think it was a little bit more 50p more but for that nearly a third more chicken (going off g's) 100g more beef and i think same amount of bacon but they had smoked out of the deal :smile:! ...and most importantly for me the beef and bacon was British they didnt have any british chicken fillets at all :frown: (only the super expensive organicy kind which is lovely if you can afford to and to justify it...)
x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Slightly old thread, but regarding raw meat - you should find a local butchers. Supermarket meat tends to be more expensive. My local does £5/kg for decent chicken breast, not as good as Asda but much better value overall than their £7/kg. And that's just smart price.
Original post by newts2k
yeh thats great but how the hell do you cook a steak in the middle of an office, not realistic really is? Im looking for practical high protein food

if you have quite a big wallet ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi

Sashimi is awesome :biggrin:
Reply 32

yes but broccoli is water, cellulose and micronutrients

water's cost is negligable from your tap, cellulose is indigesable (what is digested is negligable) the only thing that is beneficial from broccoli are the vitamins and minerals.

so broccoli is expensive for what it does and useless unless u are trying to pad out your meals to make u feel full during a diet.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest