The Student Room Group

Most embarrassing driving moments

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Not my embarassing moment but when I was still a learner and being driven around by my Mum she stopped at some traffic lights. The road is split into two lanes but merges into one pretty much straight after the traffic lights. The car next to her started revving with the obvious intention of speeding in front as soon as the lights turned green to get in front when the lanes merged, she looked and it was my ex-boyfriend with his new girlfriend. He kept revving until the lights did turn green at which point my Mum sped off and he stalled his car...brilliant :')
Just humiliated myself at a Sainbury's car park, some nice woman tried to let me out, I stalled twice, then tried to pull off in neutral and made a horrific noise. There were so many cars around, I just shouted sorry out the window :sigh:
When my brother worked as a lanndscaper, he used to take butties to work and he wrapped them in tin foil. My brother's hair grows like an afro so he likes to keep it shaved, that combined with overalls does make him look like a thug. On his way to a job he got pulled over by the police on a 'random check', and they decided to search his entire car. As it was being searched he had to provide his licence etc to the other officer and the one searching his car shouted something. My brother truned around to see the officer grinning and pointing to his butties, thinking theyd found drugs. Apparenty the disappointment on their faces when they dicovered ham and cheese butties was hilarious.
Reply 43
Since I'm working for RM I get to drive a van... my Co worker was sat next to me while I tried to park ... as I'm going into the bay I need to reverse to get a perfect angle then didn't really brake and changed to 1st gear while it was reversing
... what do you know - I stalled with a group of chavs watching in their own car ;( they were so ashamed they actually stayed to watch me stall then go....

When. I was driving in learner car it was last January so it was snowy and icy... came in the roundabout at a good speed but revved at 1st gear on the cross and what do you know... the car hit both sides of the roundabout and was facing the opposite direction... this was the 7th lesson - scared the crap out of me

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-N7000
Reply 44
I think the worst was coming out of working a 9 hour shift at Currys last Summer in the blazing heat, so I was absolutely shattered, and getting into my Golf and stalling it. I'd never stalled it before so I was a bit annoyed, only made worse by the fact that a group of chavs in their Corsas and Puntos were a few spaces over and I got shouts of 'WA**ER' and 'D**KFACE'. I managed not to stall a second time though so just removed myself from the carpark with great haste.
All time favourite faux pas was when I had just passed my test and was driving through town. I came to a red traffic light and went into ''first'' but I was actually in reverse so when it turned green I started going backwards, and there was a massive queue behind me:colondollar:
Reply 46
Rich decided to embarrass me at a petrol station :sad:

He has this thing where we won't start, but he's ok after he's started so I thought it would be fine to go to the petrol station down the road. No. He has other ideas.

So I fill him with petrol, and it's really busy so people are waiting behind us. He won't start.

I have to open his bonnet and spray the magic spray stuff in his air box and all this time people are watching. Then eventually he does start and I drive off quickly :blush:
I got over-taken by one of these 2364069046_3ec4a8283d_b.jpg
Original post by Juno
Rich decided to embarrass me at a petrol station :sad:

He has this thing where we won't start, but he's ok after he's started so I thought it would be fine to go to the petrol station down the road. No. He has other ideas.

So I fill him with petrol, and it's really busy so people are waiting behind us. He won't start.

I have to open his bonnet and spray the magic spray stuff in his air box and all this time people are watching. Then eventually he does start and I drive off quickly :blush:

I love the way you described that :lol:
Reply 49
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
went to germany to drive on the nurburgring in february. queued up at the start of the track.....

.......and stalled.

such shame i feel,even now! people pointing + laughing at me.......

;_;

Was at knockhill openday in a scooby (2nd hand, it had been scrapped so not road legal but still in perfect working order).

on my 2nd lap coming round the corkscrew just before the final straight the engine explodes in a cloud of smoke/steam/radiator fluid. I managed to limp back into the staging are park then turn my engine off... it never started again.
Some boy racer in his 1.2 corsa was sitting at the lights blaring his music and I pulled up in the lane next to him. I had my friend in the car at the time an he convinced me to show him how it's done lol! Well it didn't go to plan, lights went green and we both floored it. But when I went to change to second I missed the gear and it just started grinding (very loudly at 6500 rpm, with lots of people on the pavements watching) and the corsa shot off.
(edited 11 years ago)
When I was learning how to tackle roundabouts we stopped at a roundabout that has traffic lights on it. I stopped at the traffic lights but when they turned green I tried to pull off and I stalled. Realising there was a queue behind me, I desperately tried to get going again but in my panic I stalled a second time. The people behind me starting beeping their horns, then an old lady drove into the other lane beside me and stuck her finger up at me. -_-
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by rainbow.panda
When I was learning how to tackle roundabouts we stopped at a roundabout that has traffic lights on it. I stopped at the traffic lights but when they turned green I tried to pull off and I stalled. Realising there was a queue behind me, I desperately tried to get going again but in my panic I stalled a second time. The people behind me starting beeping their horns, then an old lady drove into the other lane beside me and stuck her finger up at me. -_-

:smug:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-N7000
Reply 53
Original post by Hunter38
Some boy racer in his 1.2 corsa was sitting at the lights blaring his music and I pulled up in the lane next to him. I had my friend in the car at the time an he convinced me to show him how it's done lol! Well it didn't go to plan, lights went green and we both floored it. But when I went to change to second I missed the gear and it just started grinding (very loudly at 6500 rpm, with lots of people on the pavements watching) and the corsa shot off.

Hate to say this but...

Not all corsa's are 1.2L . There are 1.8's and even 2.0L turbocharged ones out there:wink:
Original post by Gothica
Hate to say this but...

Not all corsa's are 1.2L . There are 1.8's and even 2.0L turbocharged ones out there:wink:

Yeah except this one had 1.2 twinport badges on it and for a 17 year old to be driving a 2.0l turbo is very unlikely. And if you want to show off your knowlege, what about the 1.0l, then there's the 1.3, 1.5 and 1.7 litre diesel versions. There is also the 1.6 turbo in newer sri's and vxr's :wink: Just so happens that this one WAS a 1.2 which made my fail even more embarrassing lol!
Reply 55
Before I got my own car I was driving my dad's Toyota Avensis around the town, taking a few of my mates for a spin thinking i was great.
We were waiting at the traffic lights which had two lanes and in the lane beside us pulled up a guy i know along with three other girls from my year.
I was telling myself 'please don't stall, please don't stall' and of course i stalled, but while normally the car would just cut out, it started bouncing forward quite manicly causing all of us to scream.
As I looked up i see the girls in the other car with their heads out the window yeeeeeeo-ing us..little bit mortifying
Reply 56
Original post by ninth2
I have at least one on every lesson.

First one was simple but horrifying: It was early days in my driving education, and ditzy me reached over for the gear stick a bit too urgently and... touched my male instructor's thigh. (I'm a boy.)

2: He stands outside on the 'break' (2 hr lesson), and asks me a series of show me/tell me questions. He asks me to put on the front lights by pulling the left 'stick' towards me. I push the right one, and a stream of water is propelled out and slaps him in the face.

3. I followed a bus into a bus stop. I have no idea why. Me, my instructor, bus passengers, bus driver, and pedestrians were all very confused.

My test is a week Tuesday.

Funniest post I've ever read on TSR! I never laugh out loud when I'm a) on my own or b) simply reading something

You'd be a fun guy to teach I'd imagine!
Reply 57
Leaving uni I was waiting at a busy junction, where loads of people walk past back to halls. It was a wet day and my trainers were quite worn, near slick. Anyway, wet shoes + pedals + foot slipping = massive amounts of revving. In a punto. Not cool!

This happens a lot - the petrol flap on my mx5 is opened by a button in the centre console. It's somewhat temperamental and won't open without me smacking the flap itself v hard. One day it decided not to open when I was at the pumps. It was busy and I looked a right knob, hopping repeatedly in and out the car, hitting the flap.
When I was working in my unlces garage a couple of years ago I had a very nerve racking and embaressing experience.

The ramps that were installed in his garage were in quite an awkward position. You had to drive at an angle to avoid all the tool boxes that were stacked against the walls, and then straighten up at the last minute to get properly positioned on the ramps.

What makes it even more awkard is that he shared this garage with another guy, and he was a bit grumpy. So if he has cars coming in or out, you have to get on and off the ramp quickly, as to avoid blocking him in.

This is what they look like:

128032459.jpg

So one day we have this BMW estate, same as the one in the picture:

car_id_45902_1.jpg

So about 20k or more worth of car, only a year old at the time.

At this point I was well trusted in driving the cars on and off the ramps, so I hopped in this BMW, in a little bit of a rush because the other guy was waiting to get a car in and I was in the way. So I proceeded to drive onto the ramp.

The car was an auto, which I was not very used to, and having had a busy day of driving manuals up and down the ramp I forgot how sensitive they can be on the throttle.

So I gave it it a little too much of the right foot, and didn't have time to adjust my angle to being straight as I hit the ramp. Ended up beaching the car out by going off the tracks of the ramp to the right with a mighty clatter and bang. The drivers door was about 1cm away from smashing into the right post of the ramp :eek:

The other apprentice comes over and I just sit there inside, in shock, not knowing if I have just caused a huge amount of damage to this high end car.

My uncle (boss) comes over and tells me not to worry, the car is fine, and he quickly proceeded to jack the wheel back onto the ramp and I hopped out with a red face and dented ego. He said he had done it before loads of times in a rush, but I was so embaressed! :s-smilie:

So yea, take your time with this stuff, and don't panic no matter what. It only makes it worse! :tongue:
had quite a few singing ones - the other day i was driving up the A38 to derby and I had iron maiden on in the car and was singing along as i got into some traffic. For some reason i attempted the pre-final chorus scream on "run to the hills" and literally screamed my nuts off , thinking noone would be able to hear me from the noise of the other cars, but went to check mirrors to change lanes and noticed everyone on the right was looking at me like I was derranged

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending