The Student Room Group

Driving lessons, is this really bad progress?

Basically, I need to know If I'm making slow progress, well I know I am, but I just want some opinions and advice on a few things. Firstly, I've had around 20 hours of lesson and so far I've learnt the cockpit drill, mirror signal manouver, parallel parking, turning right and left, mini roundabouts, creeping forward, stopping at traffic lights, reverse, changing gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd). At first, I spent so many hours on a really quiet road doing left turns, then right, all on first gear. I've heard of people going straight into busy roads after like 2 lessons? I understand the reason of this, I needed to master the basics but I can't help feeling I'm a really crap driver. From your experiences, is this really slow progress? Cos I'm unsure whether or not to change my instructor because he is really nice and calm and goes through everything nice and clearly, but I just think maybe I should experience someone new? And also how many lessons did you take to pass and how many more lessons do you think it would take me to learn everything else? Because before I was hoping It'd take me 40-45 lessons but this is looking unrealistic due to my slow progress : (

(I do my driving lessons in a busy part of London if that makes any difference)
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
It all depends on your teacher. One lady I had dragged it out so much and I hadn't gone past third gear on my 15th lesson (and I'm a competent driver.)

I switched to a different teacher and he took me on the 70mph dual carriageway on my first lesson and I took my test 3 weeks after that.

However, some of my friends just do an hour a week and it took them like 6 months, whereas I did 2/3 lessons a week to get it done quicker.

Don't worry, you'll be there soon :smile: you shouldn't rush it anyway, it can be dangerous!
Reply 3
Original post by millie-rose
It all depends on your teacher. One lady I had dragged it out so much and I hadn't gone past third gear on my 15th lesson (and I'm a competent driver.)

I switched to a different teacher and he took me on the 70mph dual carriageway on my first lesson and I took my test 3 weeks after that.

However, some of my friends just do an hour a week and it took them like 6 months, whereas I did 2/3 lessons a week to get it done quicker.

Don't worry, you'll be there soon :smile: you shouldn't rush it anyway, it can be dangerous!

Thanks for replying, you said your friends did it for six months? that would be only 24 hours! That's so little, like I said I'm already at 20 hours and I've barely done anything. And thanks for the advice, I don't want to rush, but I don't want to be taking 100 hours or something crazy like that. And this point it feels that way. And you must have had a similar amount of lessons, around 20 something, how did you it?? I need tips lol :smile: Oh and how much did you pay per hour if you don't mind me asking. Thanks!
Could be the teacher, my first teacher made me go onto a main road upto 6th gear on my first time ever driving, pretty exciting, though all of my friends seem to think it sounds insane to do that. You can always ask if you can sort of hurry things up though, sounds really frustrating, there's always nothing to stop you from changing teachers if you do feel that they aren't helping you at all, because to me that doesn't sound like particularly swift progress.
wow.. yes..! how fast are you going on these quiet roads in third?!?!? jeez... if it's a diesel then makes more sense but still... you should be going on normal roads by now! unless youre ****/very dangerous, which is unlikely, talk to your teacher and ask why. then maybe try and find another teacher because i've heard of people being ripped off in this way. how much are you paying?

i passed my in 5 months that was around 35ish hours i think that's normal?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Woah, 20 hours of lessons? I think the problem is that you are probably not driving enough without your instructor. Just drive lots with your parents in between lessons and space lessons out a bit so you have time to do so. Then just tell your instructor that you have already been on the highway with your parents and they should get on to more advanced stuff.
Reply 7
I'd say a get a new teacher as you're being ripped off and go for a smaller driving school, not the AA or BSm as these tend to be more expensive and they draw it out. I was on a dual carriageway on my second lesson so yes your progress is slow! But it's probably not your fault! You need to get into 4 th gear it's no different to any other gear with regards to the changing gears so once you can go from 1st to 2nd then 3rd 4th and 4th 5th isn't a problem :biggrin:

Chin up and keep driving!
Yeah that's really slow. Change your instructor, I'd passed before 20 lessons.
Reply 9
I did a crash course because i'm currently in year 13 so i cannot fit time in around exams. In total i had about 20 hour's practice, i mainly learnt during half term. And i passed my test within 3 weeks of my driving lessons. Because you have had over 20 hours of practice i would recommend you to have a crash course of around 5 hours and then straight after do your test. Its a lot of money now for driving lessons (£24 for 1 hour!!). I think your instructor is trying to get money out of you. On average people have around 24 hours practice.
Hope this helps :smile:
Mirror signal manouver? What is that exactly? :-/ And doing turns in first gear? How slow are you going? That sounds mental tbh.
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
And you must have had a similar amount of lessons, around 20 something, how did you it?? I need tips lol :smile: Oh and how much did you pay per hour if you don't mind me asking. Thanks!

I actually failed my first test because I went over a bridge too fast LOL! I think to be honest I learnt to be a more independant driver when my parents took me out rather than my instructor, because your in full control, there's no one to press the break if you don't do it.

However, you have to have provisional insurance to do this, mine was like 150 a month I think. If you can't afford it you can do it just for a week for like 30? If you do, i recommend it so much because it was sooo useful. At first my mum was terrified i'd crash her car and she didn't believe that I was competant on 70mph roads so we just drove around quite residential places at 1am and stuff so that if i stalled or whatever it wasn't like there was anyone behind me!! so if you could beg your parents to do that it will really speed you up:smile:

also well my mum is a single parent and my brother wants driving e v e r y w h e r e so because she was so desperate for me to drive I think mine were around £35 for an hours lesson. The first lady I had was like £25 but like i said before she dragged it out soooo much. Whereas £35 was expensive but I needed way less lessons.

Have you ever thought of doing like those intensive driving courses?
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
Basically, I need to know If I'm making slow progress, well I know I am, but I just want some opinions and advice on a few things. Firstly, I've had around 20 hours of lesson and so far I've learnt the cockpit drill, mirror signal manouver, parallel parking, turning right and left, mini roundabouts, creeping forward, reverse, changing gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd). At first, I spent so many hours on a really quiet road doing left turns, then right, all on first gear. I've heard of people going straight into busy roads after like 2 lessons? I understand the reason of this, I needed to master the basics but I can't help feeling I'm a really crap driver. From your experiences, is this really slow progress? Cos I'm unsure whether or not to change my instructor because he is really nice and calm and goes through everything nice and clearly, but I just think maybe I should experience someone new? And also how many lessons did you take to pass and how many more lessons do you think it would take me to learn everything else? Because before I was hoping It'd take me 40-45 lessons but this is looking unrealistic due to my slow progress : (

That's more than I did in my first 20 lessons! Ha.
But my instructor just didn't give a crap (not that I realised then). But he didn't push me to do better because he wanted to drag out the lessons. Since having a new instructor I can tell that with an actual good teacher you do a lot more.
Original post by Bellissima
wow.. yes..! how fast are you going on these quiet roads in third?!?!? jeez... if it's a diesel then makes more sense but still... you should be going on normal roads by now! unless youre ****/very dangerous, which is unlikely, talk to your teacher and ask why. then maybe try and find another teacher because i've heard of people being ripped off in this way. how much are you paying?

i passed my in 5 months that was around 35ish hours i think that's normal?

I'm not on quiet roads anymore, although I was for a long time. I'm on main roads now... I go up to 3rd gear, haven't gone higher than that. I pay £18 per hour how much did you pay? And haha maybe I am a rubbish driver I have no idea... thats why I asked for advice and opinions
Original post by jbw94
I'd say a get a new teacher as you're being ripped off and go for a smaller driving school, not the AA or BSm as these tend to be more expensive and they draw it out. I was on a dual carriageway on my second lesson so yes your progress is slow! But it's probably not your fault! You need to get into 4 th gear it's no different to any other gear with regards to the changing gears so once you can go from 1st to 2nd then 3rd 4th and 4th 5th isn't a problem :biggrin:

Chin up and keep driving!

Thanks! I probably will change driving instructor. but btw I am with a small driving school, and I pay £18 an hour which I think is an okay amount.
Original post by teresa.ob
I did a crash course because i'm currently in year 13 so i cannot fit time in around exams. In total i had about 20 hour's practice, i mainly learnt during half term. And i passed my test within 3 weeks of my driving lessons. Because you have had over 20 hours of practice i would recommend you to have a crash course of around 5 hours and then straight after do your test. Its a lot of money now for driving lessons (£24 for 1 hour!!). I think your instructor is trying to get money out of you. On average people have around 24 hours practice.
Hope this helps :smile:

:O you're kidding, thats really good. I'll take your advice on board. I've been told that its average 40 hours to pass.... to be honest I think it'd take me around that long because I'm not that great (or so I think haha). And I pay £18 btw, and I'll definitely do the crash course it sounds good! But is it 5 hours constantly??
Original post by sarahthegemini
Mirror signal manouver? What is that exactly? :-/ And doing turns in first gear? How slow are you going? That sounds mental tbh.

:/ haha, oh dear. I did turns in first gear for the first few weeks to practice left and right turns. Btw I live in London so the roads are busier ( i dont know if that makes a difference :confused: ). Mirror signal manouver is the steps I've been told to take before turning... I'm not going that slow anymore. Now I've been doing 2nd and 3rd gear for the past few weeks but not any higher than that
Original post by millie-rose
I actually failed my first test because I went over a bridge too fast LOL! I think to be honest I learnt to be a more independant driver when my parents took me out rather than my instructor, because your in full control, there's no one to press the break if you don't do it.

However, you have to have provisional insurance to do this, mine was like 150 a month I think. If you can't afford it you can do it just for a week for like 30? If you do, i recommend it so much because it was sooo useful. At first my mum was terrified i'd crash her car and she didn't believe that I was competant on 70mph roads so we just drove around quite residential places at 1am and stuff so that if i stalled or whatever it wasn't like there was anyone behind me!! so if you could beg your parents to do that it will really speed you up:smile:

also well my mum is a single parent and my brother wants driving e v e r y w h e r e so because she was so desperate for me to drive I think mine were around £35 for an hours lesson. The first lady I had was like £25 but like i said before she dragged it out soooo much. Whereas £35 was expensive but I needed way less lessons.

Have you ever thought of doing like those intensive driving courses?

Woooah £35! I think even £25 is too much. But it must have been worth it though because you did pass! And whats an intensive driving course? Sorry I'm not sure what it is.. tell me more! :P
Original post by Rossagle
That's more than I did in my first 20 lessons! Ha.
But my instructor just didn't give a crap (not that I realised then). But he didn't push me to do better because he wanted to drag out the lessons. Since having a new instructor I can tell that with an actual good teacher you do a lot more.

Awhh! Feels good to know I'm not the only one! The thing is though, my instructor is nice and explains things well. I might do what you did :smile:
You can't possibly be doing worse than I am! I've had over 45 hours of lessons and I've failed my test twice already! I like to blame my instructor, who spent more time getting me to drive him to shops that teaching me how to drive. I don't think you are making bad progress at all! We all get there eventually. (I hope...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending