The Student Room Group

First car insurance

Scroll to see replies

'99 Toyota Yaris, will be ~£750-800 when it's renewal time. I'll be just turned 18 (literally - needs renewing the day after my birthday) with a year's no-claims. Both parents on policy but I'm the main driver. No co-op box etc.
Think it's with Diamond.
Reply 41
Does your occupation affect the insurance?
Reply 42
I havent bothered learning to drive, any car I can afford to but, the insurance is in excess ok 5k, and any cars I can afford to insure (minis, beetles) I can't afford to buy or run.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 43
Original post by hardleyouth
I don't really in visage a situation where anyone would ever lose their license or even get caught for fronting

You crash, it's not insured in your name, insurers refuse to pay out, insurance invalidated, driving without insurance, 6 points (within 2 years) is a ban and fine.

THAT is how people get caught.

And it's envisage, rather than in visage :wink:
Reply 44
back in 2010 when i was 18 i got a 1.9turbo peugeot 306 and it was £1600 with endsleigh :smile:
Original post by IndyAM
You crash, it's not insured in your name, insurers refuse to pay out, insurance invalidated, driving without insurance, 6 points (within 2 years) is a ban and fine.

THAT is how people get caught.

And it's envisage, rather than in visage :wink:

Why would they refuse to pay out? You are insured, you're a named driver, if they refused to pay out when a named driver crashed, there's zero point in the named driver function? They don't just refuse to pay out because its not the main driver?!

And yar I know, macbook autocorrected I think! :frown:
Reply 46
Clio 1.2 extreme 06 plate. insured by nfu, 2400 before pass plus, 1600 after, ridiculous - i know!
Reply 47
Why would they refuse to pay out? You are insured, you're a named driver, if they refused to pay out when a named driver crashed, there's zero point in the named driver function? They don't just refuse to pay out because its not the main driver?!

And yar I know, macbook autocorrected I think! :frown:

Here's a forum post about someone proving they DIDNT front to their insurers.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?129587-how-do-i-prove-we-are-not-fronting-the-car-insurance-policy

It does happen, it's not common but sods law suggests it'll happen to you after you've dismissed it now :wink:
Original post by IndyAM
Here's a forum post about someone proving they DIDNT front to their insurers.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?129587-how-do-i-prove-we-are-not-fronting-the-car-insurance-policy

It does happen, it's not common but sods law suggests it'll happen to you after you've dismissed it now :wink:

Hilarious part is, that lad and his parents aren't actually fronting!

That's one post, like you said, it's rare, along as you've got a concrete solid story between the named and main drivers, there's no way, without surveilling you, that they can prove you're fronting. :smile:
Reply 49
My bro paying 2700£ for a 1.4 astra from Tescos insurance, Can anyone recommend anywhere cheaper?
Reply 50
Hilarious part is, that lad and his parents aren't actually fronting!

That's one post, like you said, it's rare, along as you've got a concrete solid story between the named and main drivers, there's no way, without surveilling you, that they can prove you're fronting. :smile:

It's not unknown for insurance companies to use surveillance too :smile:

Especially if you have a box (GPS tracker) on your car.
Original post by IndyAM
It's not unknown for insurance companies to use surveillance too :smile:

Especially if you have a box (GPS tracker) on your car.

That's why I'd NEVER have a box! :wink: Sometimes you're late for work and you have to accelerate that little bit faster, I couldn't deal with the OH YOU DROVE REALLY FAST THE OTHER DAY SO WE'RE GOING TO INCREASE YOUR PREMIUM 50% - atleast, that's how I imagine it would happen as insurance firms are bastards!
Reply 52
That's why I'd NEVER have a box! :wink: Sometimes you're late for work and you have to accelerate that little bit faster, I couldn't deal with the OH YOU DROVE REALLY FAST THE OTHER DAY SO WE'RE GOING TO INCREASE YOUR PREMIUM 50% - atleast, that's how I imagine it would happen as insurance firms are bastards!

Doesn't work like that.
At least not with Ingenie.
Don't know what it is about me but i've always been quoted atleast £3k from places like co-op, just got a policy from admiral for £900 fully comp - much cheaper and no box keeping a track of how i drive :biggrin:
Original post by Phantom Shadow
Don't know what it is about me but i've always been quoted atleast £3k from places like co-op, just got a policy from admiral for £900 fully comp - much cheaper and no box keeping a track of how i drive :biggrin:

How did you get that low?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I don't know why it is so cheap, everywhere else was several thousand. admiral: 19, no ncb, had license 2 years and thats with 1 at fault claim around 18 months ago.

Was originally going to be £600 TPFT but that car was too old and corroded and needed to be scrapped. now fully comp on a £4k fiesta with a 1.4L engine and it is £900.

Found having 2 older female drivers was cheaper than just both parents on it. Think my postcode makes a huge difference, put in my uni postcode and it goes upto around £1500.

could've been cheaper but i need business use as well
Reply 56
Skoda Fabia Comfort 1.4; £2800 for a ten-month policy with Elephant.
Original post by tomrw
Doesn't work like that.
At least not with Ingenie.

Like I said, that's just how I imagine, as insurance firms are thieving bastards looking for every which way to push up premiums and avoid paying out.

So what happens if you speed or something? (I presume you have an Ingenie and black box policy?) :smile:
VW Lupo 1.4S - Insurance (on provisional) £504 with Quinn - after passing (1 years no claims) £750 with Diamond
Reply 59
£560 -Toyota Yaris '59 reg. With two other adults on the insurance :wink: with Diamond

<3 x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending