The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Surely girls would find Physics similar to Another science wioth a bit of maths involved. Surely no difference there.
Reply 2
usuallystressed
I had never realised before but my teacher says that apparently boys are more likely to enjoy and take ohysics at a-level. D'ya think that's true? I go to an all girls school so dont know really...
Also, if it is about right, why do you think girls like it less than guys?

Thinking about it, all the Physics teachers are male in my school, whereas in other science subjects it is 50:50.

What about your school?
Reply 3
Boys are probably more logical than girls, and there's no doubt that physics is a very logical subject.

Something to do with testosterone..
Reply 4
It's true, there are only 2 girls in my physics class. My guess is because the male brain is more technical.

There's an interesting experiment where some psychologists took a sample of 1000 men and 1000 women, gave them paper and a pen and told them "to draw a bicycle". apparently something like 80% of the women drew people on their bikes, compared to a lot less men, and the men aimed more at a technical approach, trying to make the wheels and frame in the right place etc.

Interesting.
Reply 5
Well at my school there are absolutely no girls doing physics, but then again, i go to a boys school.
At my school, there is only one female physics teacher, and one female maths teacher, compared to the fact that almost all the english teachers are female.
That test thing you said abnout sounds pretty cool.
Actually in my school, there is a couple of female physics teachers but then again that may be because male ones are less liekly to apply to an all girls school.
God, what do I know? I actually find physics ok to do etc but I find it SO boring!! How about you guys?
there seem to be more girls that like maths than physics?
there are 3 girls in my physics class with the majority of boys.... physics is about thinking your way to teh answer and applying wat you know whereas subs. like bio, you just have to learn raw facts
DazYa
there seem to be more girls that like maths than physics?
there are 3 girls in my physics class with the majority of boys.... physics is about thinking your way to teh answer and applying wat you know whereas subs. like bio, you just have to learn raw facts

I dont think that you're being entirely fair here.
Surely girls would find Physics similar to Another science wioth a bit of maths involved. Surely no difference there.

Yes, exactly what I thought! I dont find physics any harder than I do bio or chem, I just dont enjoy it as much! :P
i dont do bio but ive heard from my friends that if you have the text book in the exam, you can get high marks... with physics you cant
Reply 11
DazYa
i dont do bio but ive heard from my friends that if you have the text book in the exam, you can get high marks... with physics you cant

With OCR B Physics you can. Wait, the textbook is useless....
usuallystressed
I dont think that you're being entirely fair here.

I would, Bio is way more facts.
With OCR B Physics you can. Wait, the textbook is useless....

I heard that particular specification is a little "unorthodox" in respect to the usual Physics syllabus i.e.) AQA.
Reply 14
My class has about 21 students and about 1/3 of our class is girls (including me!). All the teachers are male.

It's pretty much like every other subject when it comes to grades, the people who are generally percieved as 'smarter' get higher grades, it doesnt seem to matter if your a boy or girl.

Most of the lads in my group took the subject because they want to do mechanics/engineering.
Reply 15
in undergraduate physics its about 25% girls/women
Reply 16
In the AS physics class in my school there are 7 people - only one of which is female! But then I was talking to my teacher about this and he said that its generally because girls tend to be better at writing essays than boys are - so they get the choice of more subjects. Whereas boys tend to stick to subjects that don't require too much writing. That was my teachers hypothesis anyway!
Reply 17
elpaw
in undergraduate physics its about 25% girls/women

what's the other 75%
Reply 18
boygenious
what's the other 75%

hermaphrodites.
Reply 19
elpaw
hermaphrodites.

:biggrin: :wink: