The Student Room Group

Half of students think tuition fees must be paid up front

Hello there, I was wondering what you make of this Standard article?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/education/half-of-students-think-tuition-fees-must-be-paid-up-front-8038178.html

evening standard
"More than half of aspiring students in London think they must pay tuition fees in advance before they are allowed into university, alarming new research shows.

Confusion over fees could be putting thousands of teenagers off applying for a place at university, and misconceptions are highest among London students, experts said."

Is there a plan to communicate more to clear this up?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Monkey Mountain
Hello there, I was wondering what you make of this Standard article?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/education/half-of-students-think-tuition-fees-must-be-paid-up-front-8038178.html

Is there a plan to communicate more to clear this up?

Hi Monkey Mountain

Yes there has been confusion about this but universities and schools have been doing a huge amount of work to get the message out there that students do not need to pay up front. I think the message is now being heard - and the fact that numbers of applicants to university this year are broadly holding up (1% percentage point dip in numbers from 18 year olds) shows that people are still applying (an even smaller dip amongst students from poorer backgrounds).

It's a difficult issue and clearly we need to just carry on making the same points until everyone does understand that fees do not need to be paid up front. Universities UK is taking this issue very seriously. You might want to look at the Student Finance 2012 website (Martin Lewis's website) at www.studentfinance2012.com .

Nicola
Thanks. will check it out.

I'd never heard of that site - Martin Lewis should tell people about it on TSR - or just put the info here or something.

I have lots of less well off friends who wouldn't consider it now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending