The Student Room Group

Lost my confidence when driving

I passed my driving test a year ago and started driving a car pretty much soon as. I was confident, I was told by others I drove well. Now recently I’ve changed car and am insured on my dad’s. It’s a new car and is really light when handling. Somehow I can’t get used to it no matter how much I drive. I feel like a learner.

Im not confident on motorway slip roads and even on small countryside narrow roads. The other day I nearly went passed red lights on a roundabout and was in the wrong lane, I almost pulled out on a van. I put a ‘P’ sign on the back of the car even after a year because I can’t drive this new car like I could the other one. Another time I nearly didn’t brake quickly enough time when a car parked on the side just opened their door and I nearly went into it because a bus was also approaching on the opposite side of the road so it was really tight.

I don’t know what's happened to me. My dad is not patient either and he gets really angry with me and says he does not feel safe when im driving.
I get to the point where I almost want to start crying when driving because my dad is constantly putting me down.

How can I bring back my confidence? I know practise makes perfect but im now too scared to drive. I feel like i shouldnt have passed my test :/ :frown:
Reply 1
Your dad doesn't seem to be supportive, Him getting angry is only knocking your confidence even more so I would recommend not driving with him in the car as it will only make it worse. Everybody makes small mistakes and errors after passing It's all part of learning to drive even after passing.

Perhaps you should consider taking some refresher lessons with a reputable instructor, Explain to them specifically some of the confidence issues about your driving and some situations where you have had close encounters so they can help you gain confidence again. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by +Adam+
Your dad doesn't seem to be supportive, Him getting angry is only knocking your confidence even more so I would recommend not driving with him in the car as it will only make it worse. Everybody makes small mistakes and errors after passing It's all part of learning to drive even after passing.

Perhaps you should consider taking some refresher lessons with a reputable instructor, Explain to them specifically some of the confidence issues about your driving and some situations where you have had close encounters so they can help you gain confidence again. :smile:

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to take refresher lessons because I'd feel like i'm letting myself down if that makes any sense. I think the only thing is to push myself to drive but my fear is crashing, and of course so is everyone elses. But i think roundabouts are my weakest point and I know I should know about them otherwise i wouldnt have passed my test but roundabouts in other cities, towns etc strike me and I just need to re-build that confidence when my dad isnt in the car.
Reply 3
Hmm, it's unfortunate, but hopefully with practice you'll become more confident.

It's hard to really suggest much unless there are particular situations or reasons for feeling nervous. If it's just a general sensation, it should get better as you gain experience. Try to drive alone or with people who will help your confidence - so from what you've said, try to drive less with your dad.

Try not to dwell too much on individual mistakes, as everyone does silly things every now and then. The important things are that you didn't have an accident and will hopefully learn from the experience. It sounds as though your driving is a bit reactionary at the moment. Try to look for potential danger and clues as to what will happen next and you'll have fewer surprises and will hopefully then feel calmer at the wheel.
Reply 4
Original post by DeeWave
Hmm, it's unfortunate, but hopefully with practice you'll become more confident.

It's hard to really suggest much unless there are particular situations or reasons for feeling nervous. If it's just a general sensation, it should get better as you gain experience. Try to drive alone or with people who will help your confidence - so from what you've said, try to drive less with your dad.

Try not to dwell too much on individual mistakes, as everyone does silly things every now and then. The important things are that you didn't have an accident and will hopefully learn from the experience. It sounds as though your driving is a bit reactionary at the moment. Try to look for potential danger and clues as to what will happen next and you'll have fewer surprises and will hopefully then feel calmer at the wheel.

Thank you for your reply too. I definitely feel like i can drive better when i'm alone because when i have people in the car i feel really tense. And it's situations for example, I was meant to be in the right lane but i was in the left at the roundabout so i had to change lanes, i panic knowing that i have to get myself into the correct lane in moving traffic, having to slow down, thinking i'm going to cause an accident, things like that Which i know im going to have to encounter everyday in life when i drive. I know they say you learn how to drive when you pass because you go through situations you wouldnt have done when learning and you have to think for yourself but my problem is i panic and worry what others cars are thinking and worry about crashing because my panicking disrupts my driving
Aww if it helps I'm in the exact same position, other than the fact it's my mum knocking my confidence: literally cannot do ANYTHING right in her eyes (steering/changing gear/braking/roundabouts-though my dad's much more supportive and thinks I'm perfectly capable it's just so disheartening to be told every few seconds that I'm doing it wrong, makes me worry I'll cause an accident!). I always become anxious before driving anywhere, and especially if mum'll be there!
With merging and lane changing I think really just practice helps, maybe an experienced and patient member of your family could take you on a long car journey and on motorways. I did this today and feel so much more confident now!
Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Stop giving your dad a lift for a start and if he asks why then tell him that hes making things more difficult, not easier. It can be tough but just drive for a hundred miles or so on your own until you get used it.
Reply 7
I would look at doing an IAM advanced driving course perhaps?
Or maybe a pass plus course?
Will give you more confidence and make you a far better driver on the road. Don't just treat it like extra lessons as its more than that its an advanced driving course and if passed will make you more qualified than your dad so you can just tell him to shut up the next time he moans at your driving. Oh and if you do Pass Plus will give you cheaper insurance as well :smile:
Reply 8
PUT DAD IN THE BACK SEAT and give him a paper to read

Tell him he either goes in the back or you do not drive - but you still love him
I'm in the same position as you with my dad I've made arrangements for refresher lessons in July I've also had a few near misses and worry about getting in an accident because of my driving ability.
Original post by snowdogg106
I'm in the same position as you with my dad I've made arrangements for refresher lessons in July I've also had a few near misses and worry about getting in an accident because of my driving ability.

This thread is 5 years old. Please check the dates in future.

Latest

Trending

Trending