The Student Room Group

Norwegian Business School (BI) vs Norwegian School of Economics

I did a search on these 2 Norwegian institutions and one brought about more results with regard to a certain sexual orientation. Has anyone taken any courses at either of these institutions? Could anyone tell me more about these 2 places? What are they in terms of reputation and rankings ? Am fairly familiar with British institutions, in comparisons to British universities where do these 2 institutions fall? Are they similar in quality with a Russell Group university or closer to an ex-poly? Primarily interested in their Masters level courses.

As a whole which is a better institution?
Anyone been a student here? Any advice or things I should be aware of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hello,

These two universities are exhibiting at The Student World Fair in London on the 6th October. I'd recommend jotting down what factors are important to you and judge it after you've spoken to them individually.

We've created a question sheet with some questions to start you off that might be handy to take with you.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Hi

I am not a student at any of the two institutions but I am a Norwegian citizen and I have several friends currently studying at both of the schools so I can write my personal opinions on the two. :smile:

I assume you are planning to go to BI in Bergen since you are comparing the two institutions. If not, Oslo and Bergen are two completely different cities and you should look into the cost of living and such if you want to live there for two years. Renting an apartment/unit in Oslo is very expensive, Bergen is expensive as well but it is easier to find less expensive apartments/units.

The Norwegian School of Economics (NHH) has always been the first choice for both undergraduate and graduate Norwegian business and economics students. The institution has a very high reputation (in Norway) and graduates generally earn more that graduates from BI.
It is also very important to remember that virtually any student get accepted to BI, if you pay you will get a place, whilst NHH (a tuition-free institution) is very selective and only choose the students they want. Most of my friends at BI are only doing there undergrad before either applying for graduate studies at NHH or going abroad (to Britain, Denmark, France or Italy).
NHH is also a member of CEMS so it is possible to take a part of your degree at other CEMS institutions (and you do not have to pay tuition fees). They also have exchange agreements with institutions such as HEC Paris, Bocconi, etc. I don't know how the exchange program at BI is, it might be better but I doubt it.
Non of them are bad, I have heard about both success stories and failures from both of the universities but I would dare to say NHH have a higher success rate.

I am planning to start on my Master degree next year and I will be applying to, among many, NHH but not to BI.

I can't comment on the comparisons with UK universities neither can I comment on individual courses, sorry.

Hope this helps a little bit, I think you will be very satisfied studying in Norway no matter which institution you eventually end up going to. :smile:
Reply 4
HI,
I'm a former student from BI, and it was not easy to choose between BI and NHH, since both are very good schools. One big plus was the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) programme. The quality of education is realy hig, and the studies are recognized both nationally and internationally and provides a broad range of expertise that is highly sought after in the industry. The benefit of BI is that by means of privatization and higher tuition are able to offer a wide range of seminars and events for students. Public schools are not allowed to the same degree.
Reply 5
Original post by Duran
HI,
I'm a former student from BI, and it was not easy to choose between BI and NHH, since both are very good schools. One big plus was the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) programme. The quality of education is realy hig, and the studies are recognized both nationally and internationally and provides a broad range of expertise that is highly sought after in the industry. The benefit of BI is that by means of privatization and higher tuition are able to offer a wide range of seminars and events for students. Public schools are not allowed to the same degree.

That is definitely true, the events and seminars they have in place as well as some of the programs are very much more hands-on and practical. I recently spoke to someone from their MBA faculty who was in Singapore and she had plenty of convincing reasons that would make it worthwhile to study there.

Original post by AUDNOK
Hi

I am not a student at any of the two institutions but I am a Norwegian citizen and I have several friends currently studying at both of the schools so I can write my personal opinions on the two. :smile:

I assume you are planning to go to BI in Bergen since you are comparing the two institutions. If not, Oslo and Bergen are two completely different cities and you should look into the cost of living and such if you want to live there for two years. Renting an apartment/unit in Oslo is very expensive, Bergen is expensive as well but it is easier to find less expensive apartments/units.

The Norwegian School of Economics (NHH) has always been the first choice for both undergraduate and graduate Norwegian business and economics students. The institution has a very high reputation (in Norway) and graduates generally earn more that graduates from BI.
It is also very important to remember that virtually any student get accepted to BI, if you pay you will get a place, whilst NHH (a tuition-free institution) is very selective and only choose the students they want. Most of my friends at BI are only doing there undergrad before either applying for graduate studies at NHH or going abroad (to Britain, Denmark, France or Italy).
NHH is also a member of CEMS so it is possible to take a part of your degree at other CEMS institutions (and you do not have to pay tuition fees). They also have exchange agreements with institutions such as HEC Paris, Bocconi, etc. I don't know how the exchange program at BI is, it might be better but I doubt it.
Non of them are bad, I have heard about both success stories and failures from both of the universities but I would dare to say NHH have a higher success rate.

I am planning to start on my Master degree next year and I will be applying to, among many, NHH but not to BI.

I can't comment on the comparisons with UK universities neither can I comment on individual courses, sorry.

Hope this helps a little bit, I think you will be very satisfied studying in Norway no matter which institution you eventually end up going to. :smile:

I hope you shall be successful with your application at NHH. After looking at both and speaking to several people in the know especially to some of my colleagues of mine I've decided to keep the offer for NHH. Mainly due to the August start it would give me sufficient time for the language refresher I will need and I also need some time to settle down as we are moving to Bergen as part of a job posting and I don't think I will be ready for any academic work so soon as BI starts in January and it turns out over half of all the modules required for BI will be taught in Oslo rather than in Bergen and I think this will be too disruptive for me.

Academics, I decided the expertise that NHH has with regard to resources, environment especially with regard to the oil and gas industry is far more helpful for me where BI was more of a dedicated business school and they behave it too.

Which masters program are you applying into?
Original post by AUDNOK
Hi

thank you very much for the clarification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending