The Student Room Group

Homesick to the point of tears.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tigger01
Ok, yes, not EVERYONE is homesick, but the huge majority are to some degree.
If OP hasn't really been away from home before they are going to feel very weird about it and miss it. Everyone is different, maybe you adjust to things well and are a very secure and confident person.
Not everyone is, telling someone to 'man up' isn't going to magically get rid of overwhelming feelings of homesickness. Unless you've experienced those feelings you have no idea how horrible it can be.
There are coping mechanisms like getting involved and busy with uni and new people, but emotions aren't controlled by switches, you can't just think 'right tme to man up' and turn off all feelings of homesickness.

I disagree, it's all about your mental attitude, so taking a "man up" approach has to be one of the most effective ways of dealing with these feelings.

Certainly more effective than running home to your parents.
Reply 21
Original post by Antifazian
I disagree, it's all about your mental attitude, so taking a "man up" approach has to be one of the most effective ways of dealing with these feelings.

Certainly more effective than running home to your parents.

Ok, maybe I'm more disagreeing with the term 'man up'. If you mean if you go in thinking positively and focusing on uni life and the good things, rather than reflecting on what you miss, then you're more likely to be ok.

For me 'man up' implies to you expect someone to one day just leave all their emotions and get on with things and forget the feelings of missing home. Yes they can do the get on with things bit, but its not magically going to make them feel 100% better. Emotions aren't something you can easily control once they've kicked in.
Reply 22
If you're homesick then going home will just make it worse. You have to see the place you are now as your home. The house you lived in before isn't the place that you live now and you just have to make the mental transition from 'the house where I grew up is my home' to 'this place where i'm starting to make a life for myself is my home'. I've never been homesick, it's not something I suffer from and if anything I can't wait to live away from home but after attempting to put myself in your shoes this is the advice I have come up with.
Another poster mentioned about putting homely objects around your uni room. Turn it into a home and a place where you feel safe and eventually you will settle down and the homesick feelings will subside and then fade.
Hope this helps somehow :smile:
Original post by tigger01
Ok, maybe I'm more disagreeing with the term 'man up'. If you mean if you go in thinking positively and focusing on uni life and the good things, rather than reflecting on what you miss, then you're more likely to be ok.

For me 'man up' implies to you expect someone to one day just leave all their emotions and get on with things and forget the feelings of missing home. Yes they can do the get on with things bit, but its not magically going to make them feel 100% better. Emotions aren't something you can easily control once they've kicked in.

Oh no, it's not possible to just forget those feelings, I agree, but equally it's not good to dwell on them either. To me man up means that you're scared/nervous/whatever but you get on and do it anyway.

Like if someone was doing a bungy jump, they may be terrified and think about backing out, but then decide to man up and jump despite being terrified.

It's like the "fake it until you make it" mantra to me.
Original post by Gold_Crystal
I'm 18 and I've moved into uni this weekend. I'm incredibly homesick; I've never been away from home for more than 2 days and even then that was only 3 times a few years ago.

I know I need to 'man up' and 'just deal with it', but it's very hard for me to do. I miss the bed I've had all my life. I miss my family already and I'm about 2 hours away on the train from them. I know it's not that far away but realistically I can't see them that often.

I've been crying and I've been sick a few times. I can't stand not being at home; everything is so different and I've lost the security I used to have (the only place I've ever felt really safe is in my bedroom and now I don't have that any more).

What can I do?

Ok, first of all, don't dwell on how awful you are feeling because that just makes it ten times worse. My first day/night at uni was dreadful, everything reduced me to tears. Looking back on it a couple of days later, I can't work out whether it was homesickness or just the shock of changing environment so rapidly.
What I found that took my mind off things and cheered me up is going to the local shop and buying ingredients and just cooking for an hour or so. Its therapeutic and you have a yummy meal at the end of it.
If you don't want to go out, stay indoors. Its your uni experience, you do as you wish with it, don't feel pressured to do what everyone else is doing. My first night I went to the SU with some randomers and couldn't have felt worse about it, my anxiety kicked in so I left after an hour. These next couple of days I've stayed in for the evenings, yes I haven't met as many people as others have, but my flatmates are great and I'm already talking to a couple of people on my course.

To summarise, don't contemplate home life too much, and don't dwell on your current misery. You can do what you like at uni, just make sure if you stay in in the evenings make sure you collect as many contacts as possible from flatmates/coursemates etc. Don't panic!
Original post by strangequark
Ok, first of all, don't dwell on how awful you are feeling because that just makes it ten times worse. My first day/night at uni was dreadful, everything reduced me to tears. Looking back on it a couple of days later, I can't work out whether it was homesickness or just the shock of changing environment so rapidly.
What I found that took my mind off things and cheered me up is going to the local shop and buying ingredients and just cooking for an hour or so. Its therapeutic and you have a yummy meal at the end of it.
If you don't want to go out, stay indoors. Its your uni experience, you do as you wish with it, don't feel pressured to do what everyone else is doing. My first night I went to the SU with some randomers and couldn't have felt worse about it, my anxiety kicked in so I left after an hour. These next couple of days I've stayed in for the evenings, yes I haven't met as many people as others have, but my flatmates are great and I'm already talking to a couple of people on my course.

To summarise, don't contemplate home life too much, and don't dwell on your current misery. You can do what you like at uni, just make sure if you stay in in the evenings make sure you collect as many contacts as possible from flatmates/coursemates etc. Don't panic!

Thank you so much for saying this. Although I am not studying in UK right now, (I am a Malaysian studying in Malaysia ) but still I feel soo homesick all the time, and it is my third week in uni and somehow I haven't really started to enjoy uni life, although I wish I could.
But to think of it, what's life without any challenges and such? Thank you, it is good to know that I am not the only one that feels that way :smile: you have a good day!!!
Going home may make it worse, but I went home for the weekend to a party and when I got back yesterday I felt weirdly refreshed and ready to properly get into the spirit of things! I miss my family and OH like mad but at the same time, I know that I'm doing something productive and by moving out at 18, it won't be so hard when I'm older and more mature and have to get a house in the "real world" and things like that :smile: go out partying, make friends - throw yourself into uni life :smile: fake it 'till you make it - pretend you're confident and not homesick and eventually you'll actually feel that way, it worked for me :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending