The Student Room Group

I hate university so much, i don't know what to do.

i seriously hate university, cannot put into words what it is doing to me.
I used to be such a happy person, loved my year out working but as i felt i had no other choice i ended up at university, it feels like its sucked the life out of me, all i do is sit around feeling depressed and stressed out about how much work i have to do and crying.

i wanted to drop out from day 1, but kept telling myself it would get better/that i hadn't given it a proper chance, but now i'm one term into my second year (out of 4) and i feel like its getting worse.

i feel whats massively pushed me over the edge this year is an assignment i recently got marks back for, i told myself 2nd year was a new start and since i only had this one assignment due in the first term i would work my ass off on it. I really did try, i've never put more work into a piece, and i proof read it and re-edited it loads, was pretty damn happy with it after my weeks of slog. got my marks back, i got 58%, i know this isn't bad, but i seriously don't get how it could of been any better and it was one of the easiest assignments i've had. My friend who's not overly academic and did her entire assignment the night before it was due got a better mark than me for gods sake. All that effort and i don't get any decent mark to show for it? whats the point?

The work is ruining my life, i'm not a particularly fast worker and i just can't keep up, i've got 8 assignments due in the space of 6 weeks soon and i'm pretty sure it's going to kill me doing them. I'm so sad all the time about it, i have to give up things i enjoy like seeing my friends/boyfriend just to keep doing more work.

i want to drop out, i really don't think i'm as academic as i was at school, but i'm massively scared what to do afterwards, i just want a job, a job that pays enough for me to live my own independent life, but i know they're so hard to find these days, i can't deal with the idea of being a 21 year old who works part time at a supermarket (which i already do now alongside my studies) and still lives with her parents.

Its not the course i hate i don't think, it's just the whole academic process, i can't see how i'm going to cope with all this work in this year whilst trying to find a placement for my 3rd year, and then come back and do the worst year out the 4 and a dissertation.

i need help and advice please
Original post by emlou19
I used to be such a happy person, loved my year out working but as i felt i had no other choice i ended up at university, it feels like its sucked the life out of me, all i do is sit around feeling depressed and stressed out about how much work i have to do and crying.

i wanted to drop out from day 1, but kept telling myself it would get better/that i hadn't given it a proper chance, but now i'm one term into my second year (out of 4) and i feel like its getting worse.

i feel whats massively pushed me over the edge this year is an assignment i recently got marks back for, i told myself 2nd year was a new start and since i only had this one assignment due in the first term i would work my ass off on it. I really did try, i've never put more work into a piece, and i proof read it and re-edited it loads, was pretty damn happy with it after my weeks of slog. got my marks back, i got 58%, i know this isn't bad, but i seriously don't get how it could of been any better and it was one of the easiest assignments i've had. My friend who's not overly academic and did her entire assignment the night before it was due got a better mark than me for gods sake. All that effort and i don't get any decent mark to show for it? whats the point?

The work is ruining my life, i'm not a particularly fast worker and i just can't keep up, i've got 8 assignments due in the space of 6 weeks soon and i'm pretty sure it's going to kill me doing them. I'm so sad all the time about it, i have to give up things i enjoy like seeing my friends/boyfriend just to keep doing more work.

i want to drop out, i really don't think i'm as academic as i was at school, but i'm massively scared what to do afterwards, i just want a job, a job that pays enough for me to live my own independent life, but i know they're so hard to find these days, i can't deal with the idea of being a 21 year old who works part time at a supermarket (which i already do now alongside my studies) and still lives with her parents.

Its not the course i hate i don't think, it's just the whole academic process, i can't see how i'm going to cope with all this work in this year whilst trying to find a placement for my 3rd year, and then come back and do the worst year out the 4 and a dissertation.

First of all, would it not be possible to transfer from the four year course down to a 3 year? Check with your University, they might allow it.

As for your marks, it is very possible that what you did was very good, but all Uni work is expected to be written and set out in a certain fashion, and so it's possible that what you did didn't really conform with what was expected of you. I suffered from a similar problem with a couple of assignments last term, I received poor(ish) marks for them but was later told that the content was very good, just that it didn't all fit the "checkboxes" that the lecturers look for when marking such assignments. Go and speak to your tutor or lecturer, take your work along, and see if you can get them to point out why you lost marks, what you did wrong, and then take it on board for your next piece of work.

Once you've done that the workload should become easier to handle too, because you know what you're expected to do, whereas by the sounds of it right now you're a bit unsure of exactly what is expected from your work and so you're sinking more time into it than is necessary.

The only other thing I would say is that if you do drop out you need to be aware of the fact that you won't be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan in your first year if you start a new degree, and you'll only receive the smallest maintenance loan and no grant.
Reply 2
Original post by officelinebacker
First of all, would it not be possible to transfer from the four year course down to a 3 year? Check with your University, they might allow it.

you have to have a valid reason to be exempt from the placement year, and to be fair if i carry on with this degree working for a year would be the best part of it. i just don't know what to do :frown:
I am among the growing number of students that hate uni. Unfortunately none of my friends do, they're more academically commited than me, they're studying law or teaching or biology, while I'm sitting in a cold lecture hall full of 300 or students who are all thinking the same thing, " is doing a course in business going to get me anywhere" which has now progressed into " I can't believe I've picked a course in business, it's so dull I'd rather stick my pen in my eye than sit here any longer" Another thing about uni, not sure if it's just my course but the girls are bitches, they genuinely carry a Louis Vuitton bag with them all day while wearing heels, I don't know whether to applaude them for having the ability to do it every day or slap them for being idiotic. I have nothing in common with the people in my course and as if a **** course isn't bad enough, I have the honour of working evenings and weekends in a call centre. So my question, is the pain worth it, is my basic business degree really going to be worth the student loans debt and sadness. Probably not, no.
Reply 4
Original post by emlou19

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a terrible time at university :frown:. Firstly, for your assignment, ask your tutor for feedback and if a remark is possible. Feedback will help you know where you did really well and where you could have improved, both in terms of content and writing style. Also in a lot of universities, if you get a mark ending in a 9 (e.g. 59%), it can be rounded up, so ask your tutor if they may be able to re-evaluate your mark (if its that kind of assignment).

I understand your pain with those who spend little time on their work or start it just before the deadline and get a better mark. Unfortunately, there are people who have the ability to do that, but they'll certainly struggle if they try get a job and leave all their work to the last minute. It's desperately unfair, especially when you do so much work and they do so little. For now though, my best advice would be to concentrate on your own work and not compare yourself to others (although it seems hard not to).

Before deciding on dropping out, have meetings with your course/personal tutor, head of faculty and student support: there are options for you! If you feel like the workload is too much, they may be able to change deadlines for you. If you feel like your personal life and health is being affected by your studies, they will be able to advise you on solutions. Usually solutions include a PEC (Personal Extenuating Circumstances) form or something similar that takes your health/situation into account when marking your assignments; a change in your deadlines; allowance to not pass a module or lastly, time off from studying.

Also remember that there are other options for you if you do decide to drop out. You don't have to be at uni to get a good job nowadays. There are things like apprenticeships or specialized colleges that can help you gain experience while studying towards a qualification, or you can switch to part time education and learn at your own pace (the Open University is a good example) while working. You never know though, you might get a great placement in your third year who want to keep you on for/after your fourth year.

So basically my advice to you is: don't worry about your past assignments, but learn where you could have improved; schedule some meetings with your tutors, faculty and support staff to see what your options are, and lastly, don't be too hasty with decisions - there are plenty of options available for you!
Reply 5
Just realized this thread is over 2 years old... oops! Oh well, there's my advice for anyone who's in a similar boat :smile:
Hi, I just read what you wrote & I can say I absolutely agree with you & that University sucks. I'm a guy who just came back from a transplant that took 5 years to get. I had no oxygen, I was always cold, I was forced to live at my dad's house & see myself & basically my life dying in the mirror everyday. When I got better, I went to an adult school for a year to get back to study before going to the University because I felt I had forgotten a lot plus it was so nice to finally get out. When I went to that school it was fun & I was making friends & talking to people & the teachers were there if you needed but all the time you have your books & you do your stuff in the class with everyone. So when I got to the University, everyone told me before that it was the best thing that could happen to me & that's the good way towards my future. But like every time in my life, I had my doubts. I seriously feel I'm cursed in life because while everyone seem to get to this place or that place, at school or the park or whatever & get lucky, I don't. Like example: they went to this new school & got people there who became their friends automatically & they got opportunities & invite to other stuff that fills their lives while for me it would be a bunch of low life douche bag or foreign people that I don't relate at all & don't speak my language & the day that was for them cool as a University start, is for me a total ****. At day 1 I felt different & came back & was broken inside so much & angry. I found University such a fraud. They don't teach you anything, they just read books that explain the lesson. They don't help you learn, you just take note & get home & work alone & if you fail that means you are just stupid to there eyes. Then I heard that if the class fail the passing note is then lowered & if you do better you pass, which I think is REALLY DANGEROUS to give people like that diploma. Its a place full of douche & I have to walk & take the train & bus that takes 3 hours going & 3 hours coming back for 1 or 2 hours of ''supposed teaching''. I went there thinking that with time, things would happen & I would find what I want to do but I still don't. I never knew what I wanted to do. I look around & don't want to be that person like them who walk like a zombie & go work & come back & eat & sleep. So when I said I hated University & that it was badly made & is basically just a Library, I got flamed with insults from my dad & my little bro & everyone around who heard. Personally, I don't value their opinions because I'm more intelligent then them. I always was more advanced than people & can predict things & see the world around me that gives me a constant feel of disappointment & despair & I wish I could change planet or world or dimension or whatever. So I relate a lot to what you feel. I just want a gang of friends who are smart & help each other towards success & make our own work & get money & we made our own ''company'' in a sense. I don't want that corporate fake world filled with *******s who bury their heads in the sand from reality. I would be interested to talk with you about the subject honestly so if you want than reply to me I will be glad to reply back :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending