Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Well, Applied to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Bristol and Bath on roughly the 1st of october. I received an offer from Bristol after 1 week and an offer off Bath after 2 weeks. I know that LSE will tell me mid november and that i'll need an interview for cambridge (Pembroke College). However, I have no idea about UCL... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

(By the way, I applied for straight economics for all of them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PierreIsNotMyName)
    Well, Applied to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Bristol and Bath on roughly the 1st of october. I received an offer from Bristol after 1 week and an offer off Bath after 2 weeks. I know that LSE will tell me mid november and that i'll need an interview for cambridge (Pembroke College). However, I have no idea about UCL... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Which one would you choose out of Bristol or Bath?

(Original post by Fas)
    just registered my account on the UCL Portal , ****s getting serious now haha - anyone else got this paranoid feeling in the back of their mind that theyve got some bit of their application wrong ? thats been on my mind massively since sending it off !
    That was hell to sign up for. It wouldn't accept the same email that I applied to UCAS with. After an hour of trying, it's got absolutely nothing of use on it. Oh UCL....they do like to joke about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Which one would you choose out of Bristol or Bath?
    That is a very good question. I'm not entirely sure at the moment because Bath has a really course but i really like Bristol as well. I decided i'm going to just be grateful for the moment and only make that decision if i have to.

ReputationRep:
    That is a very good question. I'm not entirely sure at the moment because Bath has a really course but i really like Bristol as well. I decided i'm going to just be grateful for the moment and only make that decision if i have to.
    Well played. Let's hope you don't have to make that decision, but coming from someone who's had to it's an extremely difficult one.

ReputationRep:

Nice, I've also applied to Pembroke College and have applied to more or less the same options as you. I wouldn't be surprised if you took the same subjects as me (Maths, FM, Econ, Physics)

ReputationRep:
    Applied to Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and York for straight Econ. Just a question: how much do grades actually matter to universities when applying for Economics? Surely there are more people with the right number of GCSEs A*s and AS-level A's that apply for the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belle18)
    Applied to Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and York for straight Econ. Just a question: how much do grades actually matter to universities when applying for Economics? Surely there are more people with the right number of GCSEs A*s and AS-level A's that apply for the course?
    Yes it's extremely competitive so if you don't have almost perfect grades you basically stand no chance at all. But also because of this they need to differentiate the vast number of applicants which meet the requirements so there lot of attention payed to the personal statement too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    Yes it's extremely competitive so if you don't have almost perfect grades you basically stand no chance at all. But also because of this they need to differentiate the vast number of applicants which meet the requirements so there lot of attention payed to the personal statement too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, I have 12 A* at GCSE (+ an A in FSMQ), 4As at AS (94% UMS average) and predicted 4A*s in Econ, Maths, F. Maths and History. So will many other applicants possess the same level of qualifications as me and will the personal statement/school reference be the determining factor in the end?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have 12 A* at GCSE (+ an A in FSMQ), 4As at AS (94% UMS average) and predicted 4A*s in Econ, Maths, F. Maths and History. So will many other applicants possess the same level of qualifications as me and will the personal statement/school reference be the determining factor in the end?
    Those are amazing grades but a lot of other applicants will have similar academic records, especially for Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and UCL. So yes the personal statement is extremely important and will probably be the main determining factor.

ReputationRep:
    For Cambridge it'll probably be the interview. The rest will be based on the personal statement and reference since there are lots of applicants with 4A's and straight A*'s at GCSE.

I mean how else are the Universities able to differentiate applicants?

ReputationRep:
    Those are amazing grades but a lot of other applicants will have similar academic records, especially for Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and UCL. So yes the personal statement is extremely important and will probably be the main determining factor.
    Okay thanks for the advice. Also, will the fact that I got those grades at a state school be at all advantageous instead of a private/grammar where those grades are the norm?

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for the advice. Also, will the fact that I got those grades at a state school be at all advantageous instead of a private/grammar where those grades are the norm?
    Ofcourse it'll be advantageous.

ReputationRep:
    I can't find a thread for AS economics. But does anyone know what unit comparative and absolute advantage is in? I'm in AQA spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Ofcourse it'll be advantageous.
    Okay, thanks for the reassurance!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying for Liverpool or Sheffield if so what are your AS and predicted grades

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any offers yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any offers yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Got my first offer 30 minutes ago!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SP10)
    Got my first offer 30 minutes ago!!
    Where from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Where from?
    Surrey. Applied for Economics and Finance. Only sent my application off on Friday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SP10)
    Surrey. Applied for Economics and Finance. Only sent my application off on Friday
    Awesome!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.