The Student Room Group

st andrews 5 year language course

Hello
I have applied to do a 5 year modern languages degree at St Andrews which all together will mean 4 years teaching + 1 year abroad. So £9000 x4 + £4500 = 40500 for tuition fees. However I'm worried because if student finance only pays for 4 years that means I'd have to find 9 grand from somewhere, plus more for accomodation, just to finish my degree. If this is the case I will just be withdrawing my application because there's just no point. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Hi Katie,

Students aren't entitled to only 4 years they are actually entitled to the length of their course plus one extra year on top of it.

As most courses in England are 3 years this means that most students get 4 years total but as you're studying in Scotland and your course is 5 years long this means that you're actually entitled to a total of 6 years student finance for the course you're studying.

Hope this helps,
Mark-Lee :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi Katie,

Students aren't entitled to only 4 years they are actually entitled to the length of their course plus one extra year on top of it.

As most courses in England are 3 years this means that most students get 4 years total but as you're studying in Scotland and your course is 5 years long this means that you're actually entitled to a total of 6 years student finance for the course you're studying.

Hope this helps,
Mark-Lee :smile:

Wow thanks this is great news! I honestly thought I couldn't go! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending