The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

BSc Natural Sciences 2013

Hi!

Is anybody else starting BSc in Natural sciences in October?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am. Doing exploring science in October then going the physics pathway.

Really nervous though.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I am :smile:

I'm doing the biology pathway, looks really interesting. Just wish it was starting sooner

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
AMAZING! Im glad i've found other people doing it too! Im going the Astronomy and Planetary sciences pathway! Have you guys been reading and of the books so far?
Reply 4
If you mean the actual course books then no, their quite expensive to buy, not sure weather to get the first book though so i can prepare myself :smile:

I've just got The Sciences Good Study Guide by OU and from what I've read it seems like it will come in helpful. Lots of different activities including maths and writing in science which I'm nervous about the most.
Reply 5
There's also Maths for Science by OU which looks good. Probably get that one too. I need all the help i can get.
Reply 6
I wonder how different it is from environmental science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I've just ordered the Sciences good study guide from amazon along with a higher chemistry book and higher human biology book (the latter two for some revision but mostly because I got quite nostalgic when I saw then :getmecoat: )

How many modules/credits are yous planning to study per year? I would prefer to do the full 120 but seems more realistic to do 60 or 90 for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Don't know how that smiley got in there haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Just seen loads of science books on amazon with the OU sign on it, does this mean they are by them and mainly for the students because the publisher on some says Oxford or Cambridge?

I'll differently start at 60/90 for first 1/2 years then maybe go for 120. It seems like it will take years to do it part time.
Original post by lilmissshady

Posted from TSR Mobile

What the Science Guide book?
Reply 11
I'm pretty sure that we will be studying a maths module that will have the maths for science book anyway?

The OU do alot of work with other Unis, infact there are actually degree programes from Dundee that use the OU. Have you ever noticed that most science/nature documentaries on the BBC are by the OU? I think that is quite cool!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by lilmissshady

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does environmental science start with s104? I think most of the BScs follow the same first year but I remember being told I would have a good while to change my mind after starting unless I wanted to do the health science or environmental science/studies not sure what one, as they are the only ones that don't start with s104

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by airyhead
I'm pretty sure that we will be studying a maths module that will have the maths for science book anyway?

The OU do alot of work with other Unis, infact there are actually degree programes from Dundee that use the OU. Have you ever noticed that most science/nature documentaries on the BBC are by the OU? I think that is quite cool!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure the Maths for Science book I'm talking about is not the same module book. If you type Maths for Science in amazon, the first one (blue one) is what I'm talking about. The one below is the module book i think.

Yeah i noticed the documentaries too.
Reply 14
Will have a look at that then, need all the help I can get. I'm quiet worried about the maths side of things. My OH will be wondering what's going on when all these books atart arriving :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Yeah I meant the course books, I bought 3 from amazon and they are amazingly good and really interesting!

I'm planning on doing the full 120 or 90 credits in one year, I have placed myself on the s104 and maths courses starting in October and if they are going well ill take on the next maths module in February!

Where abouts is everyone? I'm in the south east.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I'm in Glasgow

Well my plan was to do 120 a year but don't think I'll manage this year with a newborn lol. Going to try 90 and if its too much I'll drop to 60.

What books have you got then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm from London.

You're brave going for 120 credits:smile: but you've got some of the books so you're kinda prepared for the first few months I guess. I need to do the same.
Reply 18
I bought them from amazon and they we're not too expensive so I took full advantage of that! Also, congratulations on your new born!

They are really interesting, I'm currently reading through book 7 Quarks to Quasars as that has a lot of my major interests (astronomy) and as expected it is full of mind blowing articles! I'd definitely recommend this!
Reply 19
Original post by airyhead
I'm in Glasgow

Well my plan was to do 120 a year but don't think I'll manage this year with a newborn lol. Going to try 90 and if its too much I'll drop to 60.

What books have you got then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive got book 7 and 8 and i have 6 on its way :smile: I'm really looking forward to the astronomy, physics and chemistry parts of the course. I haven't had much exposure to biology or geology so I'm a bit nervous about that :s

What parts are you looking forward to? or nervous about?

Quick Reply

Latest