The Student Room Group

Laptop or Desktop for university?

I won't be doing a course which demands high graphics or anything of that nature. However, i do enjoy gaming and i was thinking of getting a desktop for online mmo's/video editing. But now i'm thinking if it would be a better idea to take a laptop with my games console? Will i even have much time for gaming at university anyway?
You will have free time at uni during non-exam periods. But how much time will depend how fast/effectively you learn/write essays and on your course. You will have less time in final years than first year.

You don't need a laptop unless you want to take it into uni - some people do but others prefer to write paper notes or type notes later. So really does depend what you think will work best for you.
If you do get a laptop, make sure it is light enough to carry around in your bag all day. Dont get something that has all the latest bangs and whistles but you need a Pickfords lorry to make it portable.

Some people find a small Notebook type is actually much easier to use for note-taking in lectures/checking emails & Facebook during the day than a full-size laptop.
Reply 3
Hey there, I'm just about to do my exams and head into second year, and yes, I'd say take your desktop with you. You will have it of spare time and as a fellow gamer id advice that to you :tongue: its also handy to type up all your notes so you can sort and manage everything online rather than having bits of paper flying about, saves you from buying folders etc :smile: Goodluck!:awesome:
Reply 4
I'd say take your laptop, but then again I'm a PS gamer, not a PC one (well, apart from Sims :tongue: ). I'm always taking my laptop with me - if not to lectures (my course isn't exactly theory-heavy just yet) then to the library or to social areas to study and write essays with my friends, and honestly it's really helped.
Reply 5
Original post by madders94
I'd say take your laptop, but then again I'm a PS gamer, not a PC one (well, apart from Sims :tongue: ). I'm always taking my laptop with me - if not to lectures (my course isn't exactly theory-heavy just yet) then to the library or to social areas to study and write essays with my friends, and honestly it's really helped.

The problem with me is that i don't think i would like to be carrying a laptop around with me all day haha. Maybe i could get a cheap netbook in the future if i feel a need for the portability.

Original post by Extooth
Hey there, I'm just about to do my exams and head into second year, and yes, I'd say take your desktop with you. You will have it of spare time and as a fellow gamer id advice that to you :tongue: its also handy to type up all your notes so you can sort and manage everything online rather than having bits of paper flying about, saves you from buying folders etc :smile: Goodluck!:awesome:

If i wasnt going to be taking my desktop i would be taking my console + TV so it would still take up alot of room. I see a desktop as an all-in-one sort of thing. Did you have that much time in your first year for gaming? i hear that in the second and third years there won't be any time for it, which may sway my decision towards laptop.
Reply 6
Original post by Infamous12
The problem with me is that i don't think i would like to be carrying a laptop around with me all day haha. Maybe i could get a cheap netbook in the future if i feel a need for the portability.

If i wasnt going to be taking my desktop i would be taking my console + TV so it would still take up alot of room. I see a desktop as an all-in-one sort of thing. Did you have that much time in your first year for gaming? i hear that in the second and third years there won't be any time for it, which may sway my decision towards laptop.

First year you do have alooot of spare time.. couple of assignments every ow and then and that's it. 2nd and 3rd year it will be harder for sire, but there will still be time to do other things. you wont be working at all times. My sister is doing her masters degree now ans she said her second year consisted of watching tv series and playing Xbox xd 3rd year you have a dissertation to write (in most modules) which does take alot of time away, so maybe a laptop for third year will be better, but Tbh, my sister said if you keep on top of your work you still have some time free in 3rd year too. Hope this helps.
Reply 7
Original post by Extooth
First year you do have alooot of spare time.. couple of assignments every ow and then and that's it. 2nd and 3rd year it will be harder for sire, but there will still be time to do other things. you wont be working at all times. My sister is doing her masters degree now ans she said her second year consisted of watching tv series and playing Xbox xd 3rd year you have a dissertation to write (in most modules) which does take alot of time away, so maybe a laptop for third year will be better, but Tbh, my sister said if you keep on top of your work you still have some time free in 3rd year too. Hope this helps.

Exactly what i wanted to know! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending