The Student Room Group

University Choice.. Based on Parents?

Hey guys, new kid on here, just wanted to post. I got accepted to Bristol, Leeds, Sussex and Royal Holloway for Psychology - only Sussex and RHUL had the Neuroscience modules I really wanted. My parents really wanted me to choose RHUL, and its now my firm. I'd be lying if I said its the decision I would have made alone, I just feel a little deflated because its a decent uni, but Ive heard amazing things about all of them, especially Bristol and Leeds. So first question; has anyone else chosen a uni more because of their parents preference? Has anyone done it in the past and it worked out pretty well (or not)? Any other advice? :erm: :frown:
Only you can decide where you want to go to Uni. Your parents won't be doing the course - you will.

Going to a Uni just because your parents think its a good idea is never a good idea. You are the one who will be studying this subject every day for three years so make certain its the one you want. Dont just hope for the best. If you dont want to go to RHUL, dont go. Cancel your application for 2013 and reapply for the Unis you do want for 2014 entry.

Every October/November TSR is full of messages from people saying 'I'm soooo miserable at Uni' - dont be one of them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by goodtimesallday
Hey guys, new kid on here, just wanted to post. I got accepted to Bristol, Leeds, Sussex and Royal Holloway for Psychology - only Sussex and RHUL had the Neuroscience modules I really wanted. My parents really wanted me to choose RHUL, and its now my firm. I'd be lying if I said its the decision I would have made alone, I just feel a little deflated because its a decent uni, but Ive heard amazing things about all of them, especially Bristol and Leeds. So first question; has anyone else chosen a uni more because of their parents preference? Has anyone done it in the past and it worked out pretty well (or not)? Any other advice? :erm: :frown:

What decision would you have made

Sussex because it offers the neuroscience

Or one of the others

Don't reject it just because they wanted it but think carefully about wether you really want to go there

(it was one of my daughter's choices for Psych ... she has firmed Leeds ... my vote was for Notts)
All the unis you have chosen are great unis, but it is fair to say Bristol is heads and shoulders above the rest. You really need to visit each uni and decide for yourself which one you will be must comfortable with. It is you who have to live and work there for 3 years not your parents. I visited some unis and wrote them off instantly, but then visited others and really got what they were about that influenced my decision.

It is also important to look at the course in terms of second and third year modules. That is what is important, not first year modules. If you want to do go down the Neuroscience route then go to a uni that offers that. You need to be passionately involved in your degree course to work hard for 3 years.
Reply 4
It's your application, your future and your decision. It astounds me that people let their parents decide things like this; you have free will and don't have to do what they say. Not choosing the university they want is not the end of the world; they'd be over it in a few weeks, and even if they weren't, you'd be moving out soon so you wouldn't have to be around them. If you're still in the window to change your firm, do it. If not, start phoning the universities and ask if you can still be accepted.
(edited 10 years ago)
I did what my mother wanted the whole time, I didn't take Home Economics like I wanted, didn't take Biology, had to take subjects she chose etc. Went to uni first time round, dropped out after a day.

Now I'm at uni for the second time, doing a subject I never did at high school (didn't get the chance), and I love it. I'm good at it, and I didn't expect to enjoy it so much.

Do what you want.
Appreciate all the replies so much, thanks guys. Honestly would have chosen Bristol because the city is amazing and the university itself has the highest rep, as sad as it is to care about that, but the course wasn't perfect; wasn't expecting an offer and A*AB was pretty frightening, but I would have chosen there if I could. Even if the course wasn't perfect. But Id be worried that I wouldn't enjoy the course and leave anyway :frown: I just didn't want to disappoint the parents, you know? They would support me but I just felt it would be a let down if I didn't do as they asked me to. I felt bad and it took over the decision, I guess. Thanks for the replies though :smile: It was firmed about a month ago so I doubt I can change it, but clearing sounds terrifying... would a rejected Uni ever reconsider taking an applicant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending