The Student Room Group

Access was the best thing I ever did!

A short year later I'm now preparing to head off to my first choice university to study psychology, having received four offers. Pretty much just finished the course, got all my credits, and I actually am really going to miss it.. feeling a little depressed already! Made a lot of close friends who I've had an absolute blast with, the tutors were amazing and I even enjoyed the coursework itself. If anyone is interested in starting the course this year and has questions, fire away - I'd be glad to share my experiences (particularly regarding Chelmsford College if anyone is looking at going there) :biggrin: Seems like only a matter of months since I was on here myself asking questions about it, lol

Edit: Any reason I was negged? Don't be jel :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yay! Congrats :smile: I don't have any questions but i'm in the same position as you having just completed an access to science course, I'm so happy that I put aside my fears and did it lol Which Uni are you going to? :smile:
Reply 2
Congrats hunny xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ELM89
Yay! Congrats :smile: I don't have any questions but i'm in the same position as you having just completed an access to science course, I'm so happy that I put aside my fears and did it lol Which Uni are you going to? :smile:

Ooo congrats to you too! I'm going to university of Westminster, can't wait! Yourself?
Reply 4
Got all my prosepctuses for prospectiv euni choces. open days booked. Reading list at the ready and can't wait to start. It's so encouraging to read someone who a year ago was in my position now going off and doing what i hope to achieve. Good luck i hope you enjoy it and hopefully i'll be joing you in uni next year :smile:.
Reply 5
Original post by Tigrah99
A short year later I'm now preparing to head off to my first choice university to study psychology, having received four offers. Pretty much just finished the course, got all my credits, and I actually am really going to miss it.. feeling a little depressed already! Made a lot of close friends who I've had an absolute blast with, the tutors were amazing and I even enjoyed the coursework itself.

I was in your position last year, just waiting to collect my certificate and getting ready to enrol at my first choice. I missed my access course terribly last summer but really enjoyed my first year at university and felt the access course helped me loads. I can't wait to start second year in October, life has never gone as fast.
Reply 6
Ooo congrats to you too! I'm going to university of Westminster, can't wait! Yourself?

Thanks! Westminster was one of my choices too, I ended up going with the university of Brighton to study Biological sciences. Good luck to you! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ELM89
Thanks! Westminster was one of my choices too, I ended up going with the university of Brighton to study Biological sciences. Good luck to you! :smile:

I'm at Brighton, happy to answer any questions.
A short year later I'm now preparing to head off to my first choice university to study psychology, having received four offers. Pretty much just finished the course, got all my credits, and I actually am really going to miss it.. feeling a little depressed already! Made a lot of close friends who I've had an absolute blast with, the tutors were amazing and I even enjoyed the coursework itself. If anyone is interested in starting the course this year and has questions, fire away - I'd be glad to share my experiences (particularly regarding Chelmsford College if anyone is looking at going there) :biggrin: Seems like only a matter of months since I was on here myself asking questions about it, lol

Wow well done, I bet time flew by for you. You'll stop missing it as soon as you start uni I'm sure :smile:

As someone hoping to start an access course in sept 2014 I have a few questions:

To get on to my desired course at uni I'll need 45 credits at distinction, that seems really high considering there are only 60 credits in total. What do you think?

Was the course mainly coursework based?

And finally what preparation can I do for the course? I've completed maths and core science GCSE and this year I'll be doing Maths AS, additional science and Chemistry IGCSE starting in September, I'm hoping that'll be enough preparation. :smile:

The course I wish to do is Access Science taking the Chemistry and Maths options.

Sorry for the long essay type question lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ApplyYourself
Wow well done, I bet time flew by for you. You'll stop missing it as soon as you start uni I'm sure :smile:

As someone hoping to start an access course in sept 2014 I have a few questions:

To get on to my desired course at uni I'll need 45 credits at distinction, that seems really high considering there are only 60 credits in total. What do you think?

Was the course mainly coursework based?

And finally what preparation can I do for the course? I've completed maths and core science GCSE and this year I'll be doing Maths AS, additional science and Chemistry IGCSE starting in September, I'm hoping that'll be enough preparation. :smile:

The course I wish to do is Access Science taking the Chemistry and Maths options.

Sorry for the long essay type question lol.

Hey, thanks! It did indeed fly by, it's not a very long course at all and with the amount of work packed in you hardly notice the time going :frown:

45 credits at distinction is absolutely doable, definitely. You will just need to make sure to stick to the learning targets and grade criteria of each assignment and keep up a good standard of work throughout the year - try not to let motivation slip. I myself got exactly half and half, 60 credits at level 3 with 30 merit and 30 distinction, but I think I could have done better had I not lost a bit of motivation halfway through. I only needed 35 at either merit or distinction for my offer though so I'm all set :biggrin:

I'm not sure whether it's the same across all access courses, but mine was 100% coursework based, no exams at all. The bonus of this is no revision needed and no stressful exam times.. but be careful to stay on top of things and not let work pile up.. this can happen easily if you keep things on the back burner, like the research project and study skills portfolio.

The course itself is designed for people who haven't been in education for a few years, so no preparation is really needed because they do ease you back into things and start your subjects off very simply. It's great you're doing all those things this year though, it'll certainly help and will of course save you having to retake GCSE's and things at the same time if they are required in your uni offer!

Hope this helps :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by jami74
I was in your position last year, just waiting to collect my certificate and getting ready to enrol at my first choice. I missed my access course terribly last summer but really enjoyed my first year at university and felt the access course helped me loads. I can't wait to start second year in October, life has never gone as fast.

That's really great to hear! I feel like I'm going to have a lonely summer without it but at the same time I can't wait to get started at uni :biggrin:
Reply 11
Same here. I'm going to be studying Biomedical Science at Warwick in September. Can't wait now.
Hey, thanks! It did indeed fly by, it's not a very long course at all and with the amount of work packed in you hardly notice the time going :frown:

45 credits at distinction is absolutely doable, definitely. You will just need to make sure to stick to the learning targets and grade criteria of each assignment and keep up a good standard of work throughout the year - try not to let motivation slip. I myself got exactly half and half, 60 credits at level 3 with 30 merit and 30 distinction, but I think I could have done better had I not lost a bit of motivation halfway through. I only needed 35 at either merit or distinction for my offer though so I'm all set :biggrin:

I'm not sure whether it's the same across all access courses, but mine was 100% coursework based, no exams at all. The bonus of this is no revision needed and no stressful exam times.. but be careful to stay on top of things and not let work pile up.. this can happen easily if you keep things on the back burner, like the research project and study skills portfolio.

The course itself is designed for people who haven't been in education for a few years, so no preparation is really needed because they do ease you back into things and start your subjects off very simply. It's great you're doing all those things this year though, it'll certainly help and will of course save you having to retake GCSE's and things at the same time if they are required in your uni offer!

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Thanks loads for the response, and yes you did help :biggrin:

I'm feeling loads more confident about it now, if I ever have any q's I know who to ask in the future :wink:

Well done on the grades you achieved and uni offers, good luck for when uni starts!! :biggrin:
I did a science access course and it was a mixture of coursework and exams. There were some maths modules (6-12 credits) which were level 2 and all exam. The rest of the modules were level 3. Chemistry (18 credits) and physics (9 credits) were entirely exam based. Anatomy and physiology was mostly course work (12 credits) with one exam (3 credits). Study skills (9 credits), medical science (9 credits) and IT (6 credits) were coursework. There was also a chance to present a seminar paper to get credits.

I would say that exams on access courses can be harder to pass than coursework. To pass an access assignment you need to hit all the assessment criteria. If one assessment criterion is not met, then the assignment is failed. You can resit it, but it should be capped to a pass. Often in exams, there is only question for each criterion. Therefore, it is possible to fail with 99%. Coursework is easier because you have time to go over the assignment and ensure that each assessment criterion is met.

However, these exams are do-able. I managed to avoid any resubmissions, so it is possible. Also, IME coursework was more time consuming than revising for exams.
I'm starting a course at university which is rather similar to Access; the only difference is with the course I'm doing is that I will stay at the same university for four years!

I'm so excited to start!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
what are access courses' like? are they do-able part time? I'm just generally interested and would like to broaden my skills over time.
Same here! Unfortunately, though, I may not get into my first choice uni because I fell short of their offer by three distinctions :frown:
I've just finished my Access course (Humanities and Social Sciences) and I too agree that it's the best thing I've ever done!

I achieved 57 distinctions and 3 at Level 2 which has easily met the Access part of my offer conditions to get into the University of Nottingham to read History and Politics.

My Access course included politics, law, psychology and sociology (as well as the study skills units).

Good luck and enjoy to anyone starting an Access course in September. I'm also happy to answer any questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whats Access? Sorry I haven't even started ucas yet.
A course that is designed to help mature students to get into university without prior qualifications but not exclusively (I started my Access course at 17 straight from AS Level study and examination).

It's basically an A level (or Level 3) equivalent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending