The Student Room Group

Changing Universities! Help!

Hi!

I'm posting for some advice. In September I'll be entering my second year of university, however since my first year I've decided I'm not happy at the university, due to the place and the course itself therefore I am wanting to change universities and switch it a slightly different course.

How do I go about doing this? I wish to commence and finish my second year at the current university I am at, yet apply to other universities which I wish to study at in the following academic year. I am happy to start a new course from the first year. Would I need to drop out of my current course in order to apply via UCAS, or could I simply apply to other courses while continuing my study?

How would Student Finance react to this?

Thanks! :smile:
If you are that unhappy about your current course/Uni why are you intending to go back for your 2nd year?
Original post by returnmigrant
If you are that unhappy about your current course/Uni why are you intending to go back for your 2nd year?

That's not anything to do with what I asked. But glad you wasted some time writing an unhelpful response.
Reply 3
Original post by universitychange
That's not anything to do with what I asked. But glad you wasted some time writing an unhelpful response.

Have you looked at the university transfer FAQ thread? The first post has lots of useful information on the transfer process.

To be honest I thought returnmigrant made a good point. Why go back to your current university if you so unhappy and intend to transfer anyway? :dontknow:
The reason I asked is simple. It is exceptionally unlikely that you would be accepted for a 3rd year transfer at any Uni. Therefore why arent you transferring now instead of completing a 2nd year of a course you dont like?
Reply 5
Yeah just apply for first year entry using the usual UCAS way but apply as a individual, you would have to get a teacher/university prof/Work Supervisor to write a reference. But if you do not intend to finish the course why waste the 9000 student finance would give you? I believe they have a policy of "one false start". So you would have to fund one more year by yourself if you complete year 2 of your current course. You could apply now and reconsider your options in clearing? According to your plan you would not get funding for 1 year from SLC. basically (if i was unclear) they only give you 4 years worth of funding if you do a 3 year undergraduate course.

Sorry If I was unclear... :smile:
Okay, question, how would I now go about applying for starting THIS September? Out of curiosity Would applying through UCAS effect my current university position? Is it not simply too late?

One of the reasons I wished to stay at my current uni an extra year is because I assumed it was too late not to apply elsewhere, also I'm disabled and did not want to take a year out not financially secure and unmotivated...
Original post by universitychange
Okay, question, how would I now go about applying for starting THIS September? Out of curiosity Would applying through UCAS effect my current university position? Is it not simply too late?

One of the reasons I wished to stay at my current uni an extra year is because I assumed it was too late not to apply elsewhere, also I'm disabled and did not want to take a year out not financially secure and unmotivated...

I'm "transferring" from Edinburgh to Manchester this September, I wasn't happy with the course I had chosen at Edinburgh so I applied to transfer to ComSci at Edinburgh and 5 other universities, including Manchester, through UCAS, however I had submitted my new application by around 14th of June, and got all my offers before the end of June.

Now I'm not sure what the deadline dates are now, but I know that I applied before the independent applicants' date (which you're classed as, as you won't be doing it through your school or college), but I think that deadline is 31st July, don't quote me on that though, look it up.

But yeah, call/email the unis you're interested in, ask if they are still accepting applicants and have places, you better hope they still do, cos I'm not sure they do at this late stage, and apply for these unis that have places through UCAS. If all goes awry in the application there's always extra and clearing etc

However to echo the other posts on this thread, don't continue a 2nd year on the course you don't want to do if you don't want to. I realise it is more financially and generally secure and stable, but you would be better off taking a gap year as you'll save on tuition fees, living costs and valuable time if you can't start somewhere else this September.

And no, UCAS does not tell the uni you are at now about your new application until you confirm that you are going somewhere else and tell them yourself. I don't think it's too late, just get applying ASAP, after thinking long and hard about what you wanna do, and where you wanna go (all over again! :l). Hope it all goes well.

EDIT- Also Kutta makes a good point, funding is an issue. If you complete 2 years and start a new UG course, you will have to find the money for one of those years. That's well over 14 grand or so, tuition and living costs etc. There really isn't any point continuing with 2nd year if you can't go to a different uni in September.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending