The Student Room Group

Calories burnt using rowing machines

I have decided to have a good go at trying to shift some weight prior to beginning University this October.

Without boring anyone with the details, I have calculated a rough figure of how many calories I should aim to burn per hour session, based on how much weight I would like to lose. I plan on doing three sessions a week.

What I would like to know is whether anyone can quote a very rough figure for calories burnt vs. distance rowed on a rowing machine, as the display at the gym doesn't show calories burnt. Reason being is that I then know what distance to try and cover per session.

I have read on some fitness website that 1 kcal is burnt per 10 meters rowed, obviously as a rough figure dependant on various other factors. Would others, more knowledgeable than myself, agree with this figure?

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pointless trying to measure this.

Just try and work out how much food you eat and how that corresponds to how much weight you lose.

All you need is a set of scales, possibly a pen and paper and a couple of weeks experimentation.
Thanks but that wasn't the answer I was looking for!

My approach is not "pointless". I have devised my plan based on various measurements, diet and exercise, with a lot of calculations, so it is not unreasonable to ask about rate of calorie burning using a rowing machine.

Anyone else able to help?
Reply 3
Usually I do 20 mins roughly and the machine will say about 4500km or a bit more and between 290 and 310 calories this isn't flat out though usually about 34 rpm and aim to go about 2:15/500m
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
it probably depends how big you are. But the machine at the gym I go to says about 40 calories per 5 minutes. No Idea how accurate that is though I don't really try and count them so I've never bothered to try and find out
Depends how long your pull is. At a reasonably steady 28-33 pulls a minute on max resistance should see you through 9-11 calories per minute if you're a 6 footer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexsong
Usually I do 20 mins roughly and the machine will say about 4500km or a bit more and between 290 and 310 calories this isn't flat out though usually about 34 rpm and aim to go about 2:15/500m

Any reason why 2:15/500m is the target?
Just putting here (not sure if it'll help): I'm a rather unfit, 5ft5 female and I average 2:10-2:20/500m.

One thing I find, which I will warn you, is that I get BORED ****LESS on the rowing machine. I've tried radio, music, rowing with my eyes closed... Nothing. I'm fixated on the clock when I row and I get bored. My machine is in my bedroom so I can't watch TV... Bear this in mind when you start.
Reply 8
Original post by Rooster523
Any reason why 2:15/500m is the target?

Nah no reason really, just feels like a decent steady pace, its more of a minimum I try not to fall below to be honest. At first I tried to keep above 2:30 and that was easy and I have just been working up - some days I will use 2:10 as the baseline or 2:20 depending on how I'm feeling even though the difference is fairly minor in practice. Also I gun it for the last minute/30 seconds (again depending on how its going) for what its worth. This is on 6/10 resistance too I think if you put the resistance up your time/500 will go down
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Trying to lose weight with exercise is pointless. It is merely an aid in that it speeds your metabolism. The actual number of calories burned through exercise is minuscule. Half an hour on the treadmill = about 300 calories. What's that? One sandwich?

Forget about counting calories burned on your row machine. Just count calories eaten and do half an hour rowing a day.
Reply 10
Original post by Choochoo_baloo
Thanks but that wasn't the answer I was looking for!

My approach is not "pointless". I have devised my plan based on various measurements, diet and exercise, with a lot of calculations, so it is not unreasonable to ask about rate of calorie burning using a rowing machine.

Anyone else able to help?

It is pointless.

Not only is it near impossible to measure with any degree of accuracy - it is an entirely insignificant amount of your total energy usage thus is unworthy of this special attention.

Better get a vague idea of the overall figures which are actually useful. To do that you just look at what you eat and what you weigh and that tells you how many calories you use overall.
Lol, there is no way anyone here could accurately or even roughly estimate that because it depends on so many variables. The erg machines do have an option that shows you how many calories burned if you press the 'units' button when rowing, however they aren't accurate to any degree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by alexsong
Nah no reason really, just feels like a decent steady pace, its more of a minimum I try not to fall below to be honest. At first I tried to keep above 2:30 and that was easy and I have just been working up - some days I will use 2:10 as the baseline or 2:20 depending on how I'm feeling even though the difference is fairly minor in practice. Also I gun it for the last minute/30 seconds (again depending on how its going) for what its worth. This is on 6/10 resistance too I think if you put the resistance up your time/500 will go down

Putting the resistance up doesn't necessarily make your split time go down, and can cause harm if you lose technique. 6/10 is fine; I've never seen a rower go outside 6-4 when on an erg, unless it was for a brief exercise. I don't know what gym rowers do. My uncle uses 10/10, but he is a) physically fit, b) experienced in using rowing machines, and c) completely crazy.

To the OP, I'm pretty sure all modern C2s have calorie counters built in, if you really want to use it. C2s are the most commonly used ergos, in my experience. You didn't say if you have much experience on ergos, but if not make sure you are using them properly. I know too many people who have damaged their backs from bad technique.

I hope that helps, I but have to say I'm not a big fan of calorie counting. 500kcal from junk food=/=500kcal from a pasta salad. You need everything else in there as well. I would advise concentrating on having a balanced diet as much as on the calories, and do regular exercise (raising your heart rate is essential) for at least half an hour at a time. The time should be your aim, not the calories burnt, if you want the health benefits.
Original post by sparrowhawk4
Putting the resistance up doesn't necessarily make your split time go down, and can cause harm if you lose technique. 6/10 is fine; I've never seen a rower go outside 6-4 when on an erg, unless it was for a brief exercise. I don't know what gym rowers do. My uncle uses 10/10, but he is a) physically fit, b) experienced in using rowing machines, and c) completely crazy.

To the OP, I'm pretty sure all modern C2s have calorie counters built in, if you really want to use it. C2s are the most commonly used ergos, in my experience. You didn't say if you have much experience on ergos, but if not make sure you are using them properly. I know too many people who have damaged their backs from bad technique.

I hope that helps, I but have to say I'm not a big fan of calorie counting. 500kcal from junk food=/=500kcal from a pasta salad. You need everything else in there as well. I would advise concentrating on having a balanced diet as much as on the calories, and do regular exercise (raising your heart rate is essential) for at least half an hour at a time. The time should be your aim, not the calories burnt, if you want the health benefits.

Yes, basically the 'levels' on the rower are menaingless. 'Level 10' is no harder than 'level 1' simply because A) they aren't levels, they are damper settings and B) the 'level' on one machine may not be the equivelant to the 'level' on the next machine. The reason for this is, your split is calculated by the amount of air that passes the blade on the fly wheel when you take a stroke, thus depending on how clean the fan compartment is, the maximum damper setting (level 10) may be a considerable amount lower than the one next to it, depending on how much dirt and dust has accumulated in the compartment. I've actually tested them a couple of times and the difference between a level 10 on one machine to the next could be a factor of up to 30-40 from what I've seen.

Secondly, like i said, they aren't even levels, they're damper settings. Essentially the damper setting determines how much air passes through the flywheel and increase and decresing the how quickly the flywheel slows down. It's the equivelant to gears on a bike, say two people a cycling at 20 mph, one person is cycling on high gear and one person is on a low gear. The person on the low gear will need less power to spin the wheel, however to stay at the same speed, they will need to cycle at a higher frequency. On the other hand the person on a high gear will be the opposite, they will be cycling at a lower frequency, however, they will need to use more power to stay the same speed. It's exactly the same for an erg rower, rowing on a higher damper setting will expend as much energy as you would on a lower setting and you will row at the same split speed. Hence why on erg competitions, you are allowed to choose your own damper setting.

If you are just rowing on an erg for fitness then adjust it to whatever damper level you like. However if you want to row like you are on water then typically the damper settings should be between 110 for a lightweight woman up to 140-ish for a heavyweight man.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Heh, my rowing machine displays how many calories lost. No idea how accurate that is though. I thought most rowing machines had that feature built-in, whack some buttons maybe... :smile:
Original post by Roryyb
Heh, my rowing machine displays how many calories lost.

The issue is they are really not going to be accurate. They're not going to take into account how efficient you are at rowing, how much you weigh etc. It is possible to measure the no. of calories you burn but you would have to be in a special room that measures the amount of oxygen you breathe (or have a mask on to do the same.) In general, it isn't something that is worth getting too precise about.
Reply 16
Original post by The Blind Monk
The issue is they are really not going to be accurate. They're not going to take into account how efficient you are at rowing, how much you weigh etc. It is possible to measure the no. of calories you burn but you would have to be in a special room that measures the amount of oxygen you breathe (or have a mask on to do the same.) In general, it isn't something that is worth getting too precise about.

Also, if you are going to try and measure how many calories you burn in a couple of rowing sessions - you should also keep track of how many you burn when you are walking around, sitting down, sleeping etc. etc. since these will make up a more significant amount of your energy usage and you should check to see how those figures are affected by your rowing session.

On the other hand, you could just not measure any energy expenditure directly but track how much you eat and what you weigh and thus identify your total calorie usage pretty exactly.
Reply 17
Original post by SR255
Trying to lose weight with exercise is pointless. It is merely an aid in that it speeds your metabolism. The actual number of calories burned through exercise is minuscule. Half an hour on the treadmill = about 300 calories. What's that? One sandwich?

Forget about counting calories burned on your row machine. Just count calories eaten and do half an hour rowing a day.

Uh... no. It's actually not pointless at all. It works.
Reply 18
Original post by Elcano
Uh... no. It's actually not pointless at all. It works.

I just clearly explained the maths... You burn around 300 cals in a session of exercise which is like one snack. The exact same effect could be had by just eating 300 cals less.
Original post by SR255
I just clearly explained the maths... You burn around 300 cals in a session of exercise which is like one snack. The exact same effect could be had by just eating 300 cals less.

What? Firstly how did you figure you burn about 300 calories in one session. The amount you burn depends on so many factors that from person to person that number will be significantly higher or significantly lower. That's not taking into account the amount of extra calories burned after exercise in the recovery period. However, if I were to take your 300 cal mark as an example, if you burn 300 cal in one session and train 4 times a week that's 1200 cal total without even changing your diet. So for someone that eats roughly 2200 calories for maintenance, taking 300 cal off of that simply by exercise will amount to a considerable amount of weightloss.

Quick Reply

Latest