The Student Room Group

A Levels for Law

Hi,
I would like to know if having Biology, Chemistry, Pscyhology and Law at AS and the first three at A2 is acceptable to apply for law?
also what work experience is useful?

Scroll to see replies

I have looked at a considerable amount of Universities for law and most, if not all of them, have no subject requirements; in other words, you can do any subject not considered to be 'soft' and they will consider you. It is best to check with individual universities via their websites to be sure though.

It should be stated that your choices are uncommon; law is heavy in essay writing, reading and research. Your A-Levels don't really fit in with that model. You need to consider is law the best match with the subjects your doing, and are obviously interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'd swap one of your sciences for an essay orientated a level (like Sociology for example). Law involves many essays.

The only essay writing you'll be getting from the other subjects is Psychology A2 but its still regarded as a science (by most).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi, i'm a teacher.

For Law at university do not take A level Law. Take History, Politics, Sociology, English
Original post by risteard
Hi, i'm a teacher.

For Law at university do not take A level Law. Take History, Politics, Sociology, English

Jesus, her subjects are fine..
Reply 5
Hi, i'm a teacher.

Why?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2160-W-UNI-LAW.PDF
I've heard that if you want to take Law at degree level you should definitely not take Law at A level. They rest are fine though. I think it would be wise to change Law for something like English Lit or History
Reply 7
Original post by Miracle Day
Jesus, her subjects are fine..

Thanks for the rep the other day. :yy:

Thanks for saving me the job of digging that out! :p:
Reply 8
Original post by Tortious

S'alright :smile: Though I suspect each post I use it in is slightly snippier than its predecessor :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by roh
S'alright :smile: Though I suspect each post I use it in is slightly snippier than its predecessor :s-smilie:

Ditto. At one point I said I'd write a sticky on what A Levels are appropriate for Law (which would include stuff like this), but I just haven't had time. Norton1 kindly "reminded" me about a week after exams! :wink:
Reply 10
Ditto. At one point I said I'd write a sticky on what A Levels are appropriate for Law (which would include stuff like this), but I just haven't had time. Norton1 kindly "reminded" me about a week after exams! :wink:

Haha, I was in no state to write anything longer than a text for most of the week following exams.

A sticky would save me reaching the point where I hurl a paragraph of frustrated abuse at some poor sixth former followed by that link but meh, not urgent!
Thanks for the rep the other day. :yy:

And you :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by FrancescaElle
Hi,
I would like to know if having Biology, Chemistry, Pscyhology and Law at AS and the first three at A2 is acceptable to apply for law?
also what work experience is useful?

English Lit/History would be really helpful in place of one of those science subjects. I'd keep law, even though uni's say that they don't show any preference for it. About half the people in the lecture theatre raised their hands to studying law for a level, and even though the uni said they'd teach the course on the assumption that nobody took law, it could be really helpful for easing into the subject in your first year.

As for work experience, personally, I don't think it's really something you need to put too much time into. In fact, when I applied, I had no work experience (granted, I mentioned in the statement that I was planning on doing it) and it didn't seem to have any affect on my application. Obviously though you are strongly recommended to have it, so perhaps finding a role in a local law firm? I doubt barristers are going to give a level students much attention considering they're more reserved to helping undergrads/graduates so I wouldn't worry if you can't land a place any where in that area, but def check with the smaller local firms. The larger ones, again, seem to be more focused on undergrads/grads.
Reply 13

Aqa would say that , like all exam boards they are a business. No a level law no business. Teacher, colleges, unis -many of these are in a conspiracy to keep their jobs....its true im afraid....education has been marketised...its no different to tesco and sainsbury. .
Reply 14

Reminded, moaned, whinged there are a lot of words we could use here.

Original post by roh
Haha, I was in no state to write anything longer than a text for most of the week following exams.

A sticky would save me reaching the point where I hurl a paragraph of frustrated abuse at some poor sixth former followed by that link but meh, not urgent!

It's BALL CHEWINGLY urgent.
Reply 15
Aqa would say that , like all exam boards they are a business. No a level law no business. Teacher, colleges, unis -many of these are in a conspiracy to keep their jobs....its true im afraid....education has been marketised...its no different to tesco and sainsbury. .

AQA didn't say that, the universities did, AQA just asked them.

Also, AQA run other courses, if the unis had said no students would have simply done other A Levels, also offered by AQA. It's not like they'd have gone 'no A Level Law? Stuff it I'll do an apprenticeship', there is no advantage I can see for AQA in students doing A Level law rather than another subject.

Keeping you job is not conspirational, it's pretty natural in a capitalistic society where unemployment both exists and is ****.

And has ever been thus in a country renowned worldwide for the strength of its independent schools.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Norton1
]
It's BALL CHEWINGLY urgent.

Haha that is a fantastic phrase, I may have to plagiarise it some time!
Reply 17
Original post by roh
AQA didn't say that, the universities did, AQA just asked them.

Also, AQA run other courses, if the unis had said no students would have simply done other A Levels, also offered by AQA. It's not like they'd have gone 'no A Level Law? Stuff it I'll do an apprenticeship', there is no advantage I can see for AQA in students doing A Level law rather than another subject.

Keeping you job is not conspirational, it's pretty natural in a capitalistic society where unemployment both exists and is ****.

And has ever been thus in a country renowned worldwide for the strength of its independent schools.

No disrespect, you are young. I'd develop my critical thinking skills if I wanted to go into law.....schools are not independent, they exist within a system that is monitored by the state that lays down policy that shapes how they are run. What is a capitalistic society, do you mean capitalist?
Reply 18
No disrespect, you are young. I'd develop my critical thinking skills if I wanted to go into law.....schools are not independent, they exist within a system that is monitored by the state that lays down policy that shapes how they are run. What is a capitalistic society, do you mean capitalist?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/capitalistic

Definition 2.
Reply 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, an American online dictionary. Best wishes with your studies. Good night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending