The Student Room Group

Uni help! (thrown myself in the deep end)

Hi.

I have applied for UCAS and selected my firm and insurance as UEA and QueenMary, however I only really want to go to UEA.
Just finishing my exams, ive decided that I am going to take a gap year, and have only told my mum.
I haven't finished my application to student finance or applied to university accomodation as i've only just finished my exams and really didn't think about it until now.
However, now that I want to take a gap year i've no idea what I should do????
Do I still continue applying to finance and accomodation as i've not told my college (and it might be too late anyway?).
Also what do I do in regards to the university placement? I have literally no clue what I should do. Im so confused! :frown:

Thanks anyone that replies!
It's not too late, no.

If you know that you definitely do not want to go to university in September 2013 you can contact UEA now (and QMUL if you wish) and ask them if you would be able to defer your place until September 2014. This would mean that if you met your offer you would be guaranteed a place for the following September and you'd just need to apply for accommodation/finance etc when the time came the following year. If you know that you 100% don't want to go to QMUL regardless of whether it is this year or next year then you can contact QMUL and ask them to release you. They would then have to contact UCAS to do this and you would have to contact UCAS as well to confirm that this is what you wanted to do. Then if you missed your offer for UEA you'd be in clearing (if you wished to go to uni this September) or you'd just do nothing and then you would be free to reapply for the following year if you wished. If there's a chance you may still want to go to QMUL then you can just ask them to defer your place at the same time as contacting UEA.

If you do decide to take a gap year then you need to inform student finance and the accommodation office at your universities too. This will ensure that they are aware that you won't be attending this year and therefore won't ask you to pay any fees. If you've already paid an accommodation deposit then you will probably be able to defer that over to the 2014 entry cycle too, but double check with them.
Reply 2
Okay cool, so even though I havent applied to student finance or accomodation yet, I still need to inform student finance that I am taking a gap year? :confused:. I thought I'd just need to contact UEA/UCAS to tell them that i'm going to take a gap year so they do not ask for any fees, and ask for a deffered entry?
Reply 3
Original post by andrew51234
Okay cool, so even though I havent applied to student finance or accomodation yet, I still need to inform student finance that I am taking a gap year? :confused:. I thought I'd just need to contact UEA/UCAS to tell them that i'm going to take a gap year so they do not ask for any fees, and ask for a deffered entry?

no because student finance wont know automatically that you are not going
Reply 4
So even if I have not applied for student finance, i still must tell them?

also even if i did want to go uni now, is it not too late to apply for student finance anyway?
Reply 5
Original post by andrew51234
So even if I have not applied for student finance, i still must tell them?

also even if i did want to go uni now, is it not too late to apply for student finance anyway?

sorry i read it wrong, if you haven't applied you dont need to notify them.

and to guarentee that it will arrive on time yes, however you can still apply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending