The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help Question Thread 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't mention the Commonwealth Games - it's lovely, but you've got much more relevant things to spend your characters on. The Alzheimer's Society is also less relevant due to the type of work you're doing, so depending on how much space you've got I might leave that one out too.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_Your_Personal_Statement
Original post by LouieSax
Hey guys I have almost finished my personal statement for university and am currently stuck on the volunteering section. I've got 13 lines left to write it in but I've done so much voluntary work that I'm not sure which would be best to write about and how to go about writing about it.

I've seen in a lot of previous personal statements that a lot of applicants are writing very brief one or two lines about each voluntary position and therefore are able to mention a lot more positions in their application, I am unsure of whether to do the same or whether to write about less volunteering positions but in more detail.

Additionally as stated above I have done a lot of volunteering positions most of which are long term and I am unsure of which ones to write about because it would be impossible for me to write about them all! If it helps I am applying for Occupational Therapy for September 2015 entry and the I have undergone the following voluntary positions:

1) The Alzheimer's Society - Working in the Hospital Cafe, organising, attending and volunteering at fund raising events, ongoing for +1yrs
2) Volunteering on Alzheimer's Wards - want to include for obvious reasons
3) Volunteering at a Creche - taught me how to interact and communicate with children etc.
4) Volunteered at a Learning Disabilities Unit - A very good and long term experience however, I don't know whether to include it because it happened whilst I was in school
5) Volunteering at the Common Wealth Games - Makes me unique and stand out however, my role wasn't hugely relevant

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Sorry for the long thread :smile:

It's best to put in some detail about your volunteer roles- specifically reflection on what you enjoyed, and how it furthered your interest in the course. Just name dropping roles won't have much benefit. I would focus on 2,3, and 4 the most, as this kind of volunteering is most relevant to your course.

Is there anything you've included in the rest of your statement that could be cut? For example, discussing totally irrelevant A-level subjects could be cut down to make a bit more room for your volunteer work.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It's best to put in some detail about your volunteer roles- specifically reflection on what you enjoyed, and how it furthered your interest in the course. Just name dropping roles won't have much benefit. I would focus on 2,3, and 4 the most, as this kind of volunteering is most relevant to your course.

Is there anything you've included in the rest of your statement that could be cut? For example, discussing totally irrelevant A-level subjects could be cut down to make a bit more room for your volunteer work.

I have been trying but everything I've put in there is there for a reason, I mean I've got my introduction highlighting my interest in the course etc. etc. then my work experience but because I've had a lot of varied work experience (two placements and a work shop) I can't really cut that down anymore than I already have, then obviously my volunteering section, my employment as a Health Care Assistant (relevant as I work alongside OT's and care for patients etc.) and finally my leisure activities and my conclusion. :/ Everything I've put in there I would deem as relevant at the moment. Any help? I have managed to write the whole of my first draft in 46 lines, so my thoughts are anything else I feel I could have included I could place into my reference. :smile: Thanks for the help:smile:
Original post by LouieSax
I have been trying but everything I've put in there is there for a reason, I mean I've got my introduction highlighting my interest in the course etc. etc. then my work experience but because I've had a lot of varied work experience (two placements and a work shop) I can't really cut that down anymore than I already have, then obviously my volunteering section, my employment as a Health Care Assistant (relevant as I work alongside OT's and care for patients etc.) and finally my leisure activities and my conclusion. :/ Everything I've put in there I would deem as relevant at the moment. Any help? I have managed to write the whole of my first draft in 46 lines, so my thoughts are anything else I feel I could have included I could place into my reference. :smile: Thanks for the help:smile:

As you have lots of work experience, then it's not 100% essential you fit in all your volunteering.

Cut your leisure activities. The vast majority of universities won't care/will skim over these unless they are super relevant.

Also, have you written everything in the most succinct way possible? A lot of candidates seem to think it's important to showcase a wide vocabulary and the full extent of your English ability. So long as you are easy to understand and fairly formal in tone, there's no need to showcase your ability to use words like "moreover".

Also, cut anything that a) states the obvious or b) states something the admissions tutors are already aware of or will infer from the statement. An example not related to OT would be "Working for a local newspaper helped me improve my writing skills and gave me a greater understanding of journalism"- Instead focus on things that make you stand out, or what you enjoyed, or how this work experience made you want to study occupational therapy. Cut out any repeated ideas, too.

Hope this helps a bit. Finally, don't panic if you can't fit everything in. So long as you have shown a wide range of voluntary/work based experience, I'm sure your PS will be fine. Even if it doesn't fit in your PS, your experience will still be valuable at other times.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Hi there!

I'm afraid that carnationlilyrose is correct in the above. TSR will not be offering a free PS Help review service this year. What is it you want to enquire further about?

Oh dear, I was really counting on it, sigh. Any idea why it's been discontinued?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sellerofdreams
Oh dear, I was really counting on it, sigh. Any idea why it's been discontinued?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would like to preface this by saying I'm not an official spokesman or anything, but my understanding is that it's been discontinued because the service (as run by graduates and undergraduates on a voluntary basis) was struggling to complete all the submitted personal statements with speed. There were a lot coming through. So they've made this generic personal statement builder and will at some point be offering paid reviews, but done by school teachers rather than by University (under)graduates.

I'm sure there are other places online that offer free PS reviews. I know of at least one. TSR definitely was the best place! But you know it's not the end of the world, even if you can't find anybody current to look over your statement then you should try asking teachers at school. My recommendation would be to approach the teacher who seems most 'with it' rather than teachers for your particular subject area - often people like your head of 6th tend to be good people to approach. Or see if there was anybody in the year above you who you can be put in touch with - often grads will know much more than teachers!
(edited 9 years ago)
Are free books (as PDFs) as valid to put on the PS as proper ones? I was wondering this since I found a massive list of free books about computer science: https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
Original post by Karoel
Are free books (as PDFs) as valid to put on the PS as proper ones? I was wondering this since I found a massive list of free books about computer science: https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md

Yep :yep:
Original post by Tom78
Is crisis really the right word here? It's August and at the ealiest it needs to be given in like what, late September?

Have you started brainstorming what you would want in your statement in terms of content?
Original post by Slowbro93
Have you started brainstorming what you would want in your statement in terms of content?

I start my second year of uni next month :tongue:
:eek::eek::eek::eek: I NEEEED ITTTTT
Original post by Tom78
I start my second year of uni next month :tongue:

I see :tongue:
I'm afraid it won't be returning in its previous form - the company decided to close it down after the last cycle, and whilst we have the PS builder, the review aspect of the new system appears not to be coming to fruition

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm afraid it won't be returning in its previous form - the company decided to close it down after the last cycle, and whilst we have the PS builder, the review aspect of the new system appears not to be coming to fruition

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh :frown: Since you are a PS helper , could I send it to you when I am finished ? Just to have another perspective on it :biggrin:
Original post by CAROLAL1
Oh :frown: Since you are a PS helper , could I send it to you when I am finished ? Just to have another perspective on it :biggrin:

I'd strongly discourage you from PMing to anyone - other than those marked PS helper, you simply don't know who you're sending your PS to, and you risk plagiarism.

Personally, I was never a particularly active PS helper, I'm incredibly busy at the moment, and it's always best to get someone who knows your subject to review your PS.
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'd strongly discourage you from PMing to anyone - other than those marked PS helper, you simply don't know who you're sending your PS to, and you risk plagiarism.

Personally, I was never a particularly active PS helper, I'm incredibly busy at the moment, and it's always best to get someone who knows your subject to review your PS.

Alright , so which ps helper should revise it ?
I really need help on this because I don't want to **** up my application - again -
I really need help on this because I don't want to **** up my application - again -

I'm afraid that there's no longer a PS review system in place at all :no: We were told that there would be one in time for this September, but I haven't heard a thing about it in months.

I'd suggest that you have a look at the PS advice on the wiki, ask your teachers at college to review it, and feel free to ask any specific questions about writing a PS (that doesn't involve posting all / part of it) on TSR.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_Your_Personal_Statement

I'm afraid we won't be offering reviews any more.

We're waiting to find out if TSRG will allow us to review via PM. Without permission any PS helper could get in trouble.

I know this is touch but trust us we're trying to get answers and figure out a way to help as many people as possible but I don't think we'll get any solid answers until September :frown:
Original post by seaholme
I would like to preface this by saying I'm not an official spokesman or anything, but my understanding is that it's been discontinued because the service (as run by graduates and undergraduates on a voluntary basis) was struggling to complete all the submitted personal statements with speed. There were a lot coming through. So they've made this generic personal statement builder and will at some point be offering paid reviews, but done by school teachers rather than by University (under)graduates.

I'm sure there are other places online that offer free PS reviews. I know of at least one. TSR definitely was the best place! But you know it's not the end of the world, even if you can't find anybody current to look over your statement then you should try asking teachers at school. My recommendation would be to approach the teacher who seems most 'with it' rather than teachers for your particular subject area - often people like your head of 6th tend to be good people to approach. Or see if there was anybody in the year above you who you can be put in touch with - often grads will know much more than teachers!

Can you PM me the place where you can get free reviews? I'm not from the UK so im not sure that my teachers will know what has to be in a PS, haha, even though ppl from my college do study in the UK a lot. There are loads of misconceptions. Everyone seems to think oxbridge want lots of extra curriculars

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending