The Student Room Group

Part-time vs Casual work

I am currently in a dilemma, I do not know whether to work part-time or be a casual worker. I have just finished year 11 and I'm planning to continue this job when I'm in Sixth Form so if someone could advise me on the advantages and disadvantages of both it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 1
Reply 2
With casual work your employer can treat you as they wish tbh and give you as many or as little hours as they want per week, where as with part time you will have a set amount of hours that you will work each week!! I started as a casual in my job and hated it, now I'm part time and I know what I am working each week and just take over time on if needed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by darkcompass
I am currently in a dilemma, I do not know whether to work part-time or be a casual worker. I have just finished year 11 and I'm planning to continue this job when I'm in Sixth Form so if someone could advise me on the advantages and disadvantages of both it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I don't know much about casual work but anyway from my limited knowledge...

In casual work there is no contract so employer can pretty much ask you to work really variable hours and no paid holiday, they could also fire you I presume without any notice (not sure about this one though)

You might be called in when you are needed as a pose to having your timetable given to you a few weeks before hence you might not always be available whereas in a part-time job you'd usually get a timetable with your shifts on so you can plan any appointments, events around it.

Basically casual work is more flexible and not as stable as a part time job and as you're going to be studying, I'd recommend a part time job as then you could plan your time around it and I assume a part time job would give you a steady income as you'd be working set hours a week unlike in casual work but obvs this totally depends on the job and how the employer operates as well as your personal circumstances. Good Luck though with whatever you decide! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending