The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Lol, actually forgot I told you about the dad wanting to kill me. I forget who I tell what to lol.
Reply 61
lol, you unfortunately let that one slip!! Im sure theya ll consider themselves gifted to have come into your acquaintance Mark :wink:

On another note any biologists/psychologisists among us, why do girls perform less well on those pilot aptitude tests you were mentioning earlier Kiwi magic/Nayfe83?
Reply 62
It would be interesting if girls do better at other tasks like some of the FC/ATC ones? plus thinking back is this a nature/nurture type debate or just a consequence of our upbringings, yes boys may well play on comp games etc?
Reply 63
p.s I never never had barbies...
Reply 64
Nayfe83
Because boys play computer games and girls play with barbie dolls? :wink:

But seriously.. :biggrin:
Without knowing the figures for the amount of guys who pass the pilot aptitude it's hard to know how meaningful that 11% figure is. Can you cast any light on the guys success rate kiwi?

If memory serves, these were the averages for the last 8 years or so (about 15,000 applicants) and they worked out at:

Pilot male - 65%
Pilot female - 11%

Navigator male - 66%
Navigator female - 68%

(I might be a few percent out, but you get the overall idea, only saw the slide for a few mins!)
KiwiMagic
If memory serves, these were the averages for the last 8 years or so (about 15,000 applicants) and they worked out at:

Pilot male - 65%
Pilot female - 11%

Navigator male - 66%
Navigator female - 68%

(I might be a few percent out, but you get the overall idea, only saw the slide for a few mins!)

I would be inclined to think that there was some error in recall here. The similarities between the aptitudes required for Pilot and Nav are so great that it seems highly improbable that the Nav scores would be relatively similar between male and female candidates, that those scores would match those of male Pilot applicants, yet for some reason, females displayed so much less aptitude for Pilot.

Possible practice and confidence with 'space invader' type tests could have some small part to play, but 54% less aptitude displayed, given that there must be about 80% (figure based on instinct, doing the job for many years) crossover in the required aptitudes seems highly unlikely.

Prepared to be told otherwise though, if there is a distinct difference in the Pilot/Nav batteries. I've got my old aptitude scores in front of me (good old Data Protection Act) and it is not clear exactly how the system worked, but I would say that you wouldn't make a succesful Pilot without passing both of the Nav specific tests, and you wouldn't make a succesful Nav without passing one of the three Pilot specific tests. No idea how these tests have changed over time though.
Reply 66
threeportdrift
I would be inclined to think that there was some error in recall here. The similarities between the aptitudes required for Pilot and Nav are so great that it seems highly improbable that the Nav scores would be relatively similar between male and female candidates, that those scores would match those of male Pilot applicants, yet for some reason, females displayed so much less aptitude for Pilot.

Well almost all of us present were surprised at the figures, they were shown as a line graph over time and showed a slight improvement of the scores by girls on pilot, and a steady trend for the others. We were told that it almost entirely came down to the fact that girls struggled with the hand/eye/foot tests. I would say, thinking about it, that any error I may have made would be on how high the male pilot pass average was, but I'm very certain of the ballpark nature of the other figures.

Also saw a breakdown of the batteries (not sure how much of this I'm supposed to say, but I'm pretty sure it was not classed as Restricted) There were some surprises in there as to which were pilot and which were nav, safe to say that some popular beliefs were shattered!
Reply 67
KiwiMagic
the fact that girls struggled with the hand/eye/foot tests.

And there's me hoping the girls would be good with a joystick-like object in their hand.
StringyP
And there's me hoping the girls would be good with a joystick-like object in their hand.

I think they generally are, but have you seen the humungous joysticks they use at OASC???? They must be about 10 inches long and it takes your whole hand to get round them!!!!! :eek:

Nothing like what most girls get to practice on :frown:
Reply 69
lol TPD thats quite clever, cutting them down to size... :wink:
:biggrin: Thats brillant.
Reply 71
Oh, I thought I wasn't the only one to have a 'joystick' of comparable size! I must be special :worm:

That is my new favourite smilie, never knew there was such a selection
KiwiMagic
in one sift they are put forward to the next one, and so on and so on.

And here's some random facts from OASC to digest: The highest ever score on aptitudes was 178 by a girl a few months ago, and only 11% of girls pass the pilot aptitude battery!

Without blowing my own trumpet i scored 180 last week for my 1st choice 177 for my second, cant believe it... 2 weeks to wait :o:
You raise a 3 year old thread for that? Great.
Reply 74
Yes, I can hear it!

But very good scores, all the same - I can't blame sgriffin for wanting to bring them up. :wink:

Also very interesting to read about the differences between male and female scores - I had a difference of 32 points in my scores for pilot and nav, which echoes what was said above. I had problems handling the enormous joystick, apparently.
Reply 75
If his first choice was chef then it's not surprising he scored 180. Maybe he sautes like a genius.
Isn't 180 the highest you can actually get? So you have got 100% in your aptitude for pilot!
Reply 77
180 is the maximum for any branch, but I don't think sgriffin was going for pilot ... WSO, wasn't it?

Latest