The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by lbanks
Speak from heart and if you have a group discussion speak up and make sure you get our point across ! Know the role of what an odp does in all aspects from circulating to anaesthetics . Know something current going on in the nhs related to theatres or odp . Good luck :smile:

Thankyou! :smile: I've got most of that prepared so should be okay hopefully! Did you get asked questions about a scenario in your interview last year? I have been sent one about a woman having an emergency hysterectomy :smile:
Original post by nessnoodle
Hi Bex, congratulations on your offer, can you tell me how your day went, what was the layout of the day, how did you find the english and maths test and were you able to use a calculator? ;-)

Thanks :colondollar: When is your interveiw? when you get your invitation for interveiw you should have got an attachment with description of course and it has examples english and maths test in it. The english and maths test were very similar to these and at the same level, I would say. You can't use a calculator unfortunately (I wish you could!!) You need to be able to do long division, long multiplication, and fractions. The english test is a passage of text to read and answer questions on and at the end it asks you to write 2 paragraphs on your views on the same subject. It depends where your academic stregnths lie on how you find these. Personally, I found the english test quite easy but I felt that I struggled with the maths. I'm terrible at maths and always have been. It's also 12 years since I did gcse maths so had to go online on bbc gcse bitesize maths beforehand and re-teach myself how to do long division/multiplication etc! I'm pretty sure me doing this helped me scrape a pass with maths and would recommend doing this!
The layout of the day is a quick intro, english test (30mins), maths test (20mins), then a bit of a wait and then individual interviews. You can leave as soon as your individual interveiw has finished. Mine lasted 15 minutes. I was crazy nervous the whole time and honestly thought my interview went really badly as my mind went blank a few times when they asked me stuff (nerves!) and I didn't get to say a few things that I meant to. But I got a place so happy days! Hope yours goes well and you get a place!
Reply 182
Yes we got a scenario too but I couldn't tell you what it was about ! Just make sure you look at all points of view , as in the patient and a medical point of view ! All the lecturers are friendly so try and relax ( easier said then done I know ) !
Reply 183
Yes we got a scenario too but I couldn't tell you what it was about ! Just make sure you look at all points of view , as in the patient and a medical point of view ! All the lecturers are friendly so try and relax ( easier said then done I know ) !
Reply 184
Original post by Super Girl
What do they ask you overall at edge hill? do they do that scenario thing where they put you in a situation and ask you what would you do? :-/

I think my scenario was what would you do if a patient messed themselves? You have to describe one of the phases and things such as why an odp over a nurse/midwife
[QUOTE="bexdimples;45564268"]
Original post by Super Girl
What do they ask you overall at edge hill? do they do that scenario thing where they put you in a situation and ask you what would you do? :-/[/QUOTE
hi, I had my interveiw in early November and got a place in edge hill. They ask you how you heard about the course/profession and why you want to be an ODP. They ask you to choose an area of perioperative practice (eg anaesthetics/scrub/recovery) and ask you to describe, in detail, what you think your role as an ODP would be in that area and qualities you think are important to have. They also ask you to talk about a current issue affecting the nhs. The english and maths test is 1st, then interveiws with 2 staff. Hope this helps, good luck!!

Thank you ever so much for this information. I didn't have a clue about what sort of questions they ask as I haven't had any interviews yet and it's my first time applying for uni... I'm a mature student so I feel a little rusty and a little out of place. Thanks for writing all this, now I can prepare myself a bit more!!! Good luck and I know you're going to do great on your course! :smile:
[QUOTE="Girl;45577296" Super="Super"]
Original post by bexdimples

Thank you ever so much for this information. I didn't have a clue about what sort of questions they ask as I haven't had any interviews yet and it's my first time applying for uni... I'm a mature student so I feel a little rusty and a little out of place. Thanks for writing all this, now I can prepare myself a bit more!!! Good luck and I know you're going to do great on your course! :smile:

no problem! I know how nerve wracking it is and it's so much easier to feel confident and prepared if you know what's coming! Good luck with your interview and hopefully I'll see you in Sept when you get your place on the course :smile: fingers crossed!
Hi
I have interview the same day as u in bournemouth hopefully we see each other and good luck
Reply 188
Good luck to those having interviews at Bournemouth today ! Let me know how you got on :smile: xx
Reply 189
Original post by Kimmie4207
Hi
I have interview the same day as u in bournemouth hopefully we see each other and good luck

Hello! :smile: how did you find the individual interview?
Reply 190
Original post by lbanks
Good luck to those having interviews at Bournemouth today ! Let me know how you got on xx

Hello! :smile: group activity was fine, a lot less intense than I expected. Not sure how my individual one went, fingers crossed though!
Reply 191
Glad it went ok ! Who did you're interview ? Im sure you did great :smile:
Omg it was soo long..and i was the first one to have the interview. But i guess i did well aha wbu.?
Reply 193
Omg it was soo long..and i was the first one to have the interview. But i guess i did well aha wbu.?

You did seem to take ages, they got shorter and shorter so they obviously were getting tired by the end of it haha, but sounds like you did well :smile: fingers crossed!
Same here dude. Fingers crossed we'll hear something! I've applied for Cardiff, BCU, Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Oxford Brooke's in Swindon :smile: I wonder how long they'll keep us waiting to hear something back!
Also is anyone going to the ODP open day in Cardiff on Jan 4th?
Original post by Sambatam
Hi there, I'm Sam! Would like to join in on this thread please.

Is anyone applying to Cardiff? I am just waiting for my tutor to sign off on my personal statement and do my reference.
Feeling very nervous as Cardiff is my only choice.

Meeeeeeee! Haven't heard anything yet though :frown:
Aha gud luck to you aswell..what time were ur interview.?
Reply 197
Original post by laurenstacey123
Meeeeeeee! Haven't heard anything yet though :frown:

When did you submit your ucas ? I applied this time last year abd heard from Bournemouth on the 22nd dec ! And my interview was the first week of january , dont panic ! X
Reply 198
Aha gud luck to you aswell..what time were ur interview.?

I had to wait until about 12:15 for mine! Was absolute tortue watching everyone leave one by one, you were lucky to go first haha! Let me know if you hear anything back from them :smile:
Yeah i will do aha gud luck for both of us..

Latest