The Student Room Group

Is it acceptable to sleep with your bedroom door open at uni?

I have this thing where I cannot sleep in a room by myself with the door closed. It makes me feel really scared and uncomfortable. But I'm thinking of going away to university next year, and I was just wondering if that would be acceptable or just seem really odd?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can but don't expect to wake up in the state you went to sleep in :P
Reply 2
Hmm I'm only just starting uni myself, so I can't rightly tell you yet.

I can't imagine it being seen as really strange, though. As long as you don't sleep naked and are aware of the risks of drunken flatmates wandering in, you'll be reet! :p:
Reply 3
Original post by le94
I have this thing where I cannot sleep in a room by myself with the door closed. It makes me feel really scared and uncomfortable. But I'm thinking of going away to university next year, and I was just wondering if that would be acceptable or just seem really odd?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't leave your door completely open since otherwise you run the risk of having your stuff nicked. How about using a night light? Alternatively, if your door has a chain on it, you might be OK to leave it ajar because the chain would deter/prevent people from coming in.
If you were a hot guy, then yes, please do... :colone:
Reply 5
Honestly, it would probably seem odd, and might put you at risk of theft and other things. Some universities have halls where you share a study room with someone else. Would that make you feel more comfortable?
Reply 6
Original post by le94

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could do but it may be slighlty weird to your flatmates. Also you'll have the noise from other going to the kitchen or leaving the flat or something. If you find it scared why not take a lamp and leave it on in the night or leave your curtains open.
Original post by frappe framboise
If you were a hot guy, then yes, please do... :colone:

wat
I've only done it once or twice when I've been completely exhausted, but my flatmates are sweethearts so they closed the door for me. People might find it a bit odd but they'll get over it pretty quickly. Wouldn't recommend it if you're living with a bunch of nutters though, also if you're like our flat we were pretty lax about locking the front door (sure as heck not doing that in my new house!). Also if your friends come in completely trashed when you need a good nights sleep they are definitely going to wake you up, and potentially come in and bother you.
I wouldn't recommend it!

Especially as you don't know who will be able to wander in. People could take your stuff, mess your room up, write on you or shave you or put something disgusting on your bed...plus there's the extra noise, and potentially a cold draught if people are coming in and out of the main door.

I was uncomfortable with my door unlocked, never mind it open - even in my new house, the bedrooms don't lock so I wedge something under the door when I close it so no one can come in...but I get it if you feel as uncomfortable with it closed as I do with it open!

Would you be ok with just your window open? Or on a latch?

Or open your door slightly but put something heavy behind it so that nobody can open it further from the outside and get in without you knowing?
Many halls have corridors and it can be a bit noisy when people walk along chattering, also opening and closing of doors can be noisy... not a great idea leaving the door open in that sort of building - may be OK in a flat if you know the others
Reply 11
Yeah that's what I was thinking, if there's a chain on the door I'll leave that on, if not and its just a small flat I'll leave it slightly open. If its a long corridor, I guess I'll just have to leave my window open and have a lamp on. Thanks people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holy ****, no. Don't do that.
Reply 13
I probably wouldn't if I was in halls. If I was living in a university owned house where they have between 6-12 people living there then yeah, should be absolutely fine.
No, not acceptable.
In my halls we could get fined for propping open fire doors if we tried to keep our doors open for extended periods of time. I also wouldn't recommend it for all of the reasons above.
Probably best not to do that....... your stuff could get nicked, you could get pranks pulled on you, also it will (most likely) be noisy, and the doors in the halls that I stayed in were heavyweight fire doors so it was difficult to keep them open anyway!
Maybe just keep a light on, or some music or your curtains open on your window?
If you live in halls your stuff will get nicked. Even if your flat mates are nice there's no guarantee mates they have over will be as kind.
Original post by le94

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like uni is going to be a great opportunity for you to overcome this irrational fear of yours, then...
Reply 19
Well, if your accommodation has these doors that are always closed then it would be hard for you to leave it open for a night. But generally, I wouldn't leave it open, mainly for safety reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending