The Student Room Group

Compelling reasons & previous study SF

. I'm a mature student returning to university my previous are
2007/08 year one hnd. Full support
2008/09 year one diff course. full support
2011/12 year one dif Uni only. maintenance loan

Sent it evidence of compelling reasons . Doctors letter showing depression 2007-2009 letter from me explaining my past and letter from Uni showing I didn't actually attend in 2007 and 2008.

Basically my new course is a 4 year degree with foundation year
What if any am I entitled too if they accept my evidence? Lady I spoke to today said they have received my evidence but are in back log and she said I'm entitled if evidence accepted years 4,3,2 so I have to fund this year.. Is that correct? I thought if a year without fee support was a previous study year it wasn't counted or have I read that wrong?
If u can be of any assistance or anyone advise me please . Thanks Natalie x
Reply 1
Original post by Natjc172
I thought if a year without fee support was a previous study year it wasn't counted or have I read that wrong?

I don't know if I've misunderstood your question; but SFE base it on the number of years study and not the number of years they've previously funded you for.
The same thing happened to me last year. I studied on a HND course 7 years ago where I funded myself, I didn't even apply for student finance. However, apparently it still counts as I was eligible for funding, needless to say I really wish I had taken the funding back then, it would have saved me a lot of heartache and struggle.

The upshot was that I had to fund myself last year. I still got £5,000 loan, but no grant or fee loan. I strongly advise you go to your university's finance department and ask about alternative funding. I know our finance department went above and beyond for me, they were really helpful. I got something called an access to learning fund which came to around £3.500 and was a life saver. There are also bursaries which vary between institutes. Also there is help for people with children if you are a parent.

Good luck, and don't worry there is always a way through. I know I was devastated when I found out I wouldn't be funded, but it worked out.
Reply 3
Regulation 13(9) states that a year where support was awarded due to CPR should not be included in the previous study calculation. Therefore, providing they were actually awarded under CPR and not just the +1 year, you are eligible for support for the full duration of the new course.

Won't I get full funding if CPR are accepted based on the above quote?
You might have a case there. Definitely go to your uni's finance department, if there's a case they will help you fight it.
Regulation 13(9) states that a year where support was awarded due to CPR should not be included in the previous study calculation. Therefore, providing they were actually awarded under CPR and not just the +1 year, you are eligible for support for the full duration of the new course.

Won't I get full funding if CPR are accepted based on the above quote?

You studied for 3 years. And want to do a 4 year course.

Student Finance go by years STUDIED, not support you have had.

Your calculation is new degree 4 years + 1 gift year - 3 previous study years = 2 years of funding left, for years 4 and 3.

If you apply for CPR for 2 of those years you already studied for, then you will receive full funding for your new degree.

The quote you gave has been taken out of context. It is stating that if you apply for CPR for a year, then that year isn't counted in the equation.

So, if you apply for CPR for 2 years, then those 2 years get taken away from the previous study, meaning the new equation would be; new degree 4 years, + 1 gift year - 3 previous years + 2 CPR years = 4 years of funding left.
Reply 6
Thanks, so if my CPR are accepted and its for 2 years study that my evidence is referring too does that mean they will tell me if they accepting it for both years? As I thought they do it for each year so they could accept it for year 2 but it is year 1 this month so how do I get them to cover me for year 1 and 2 if they only do it for a year at a time?
Thanks, so if my CPR are accepted and its for 2 years study that my evidence is referring too does that mean they will tell me if they accepting it for both years? As I thought they do it for each year so they could accept it for year 2 but it is year 1 this month so how do I get them to cover me for year 1 and 2 if they only do it for a year at a time?

I believe (from what some mods have told me) that when you are awarded a CPR year, you receive full funding for that year. So, if you apply for CPR for this year, and it's awarded, you'll get full funding for this year.
Reply 8
Original post by Knalchemist
I believe (from what some mods have told me) that when you are awarded a CPR year, you receive full funding for that year. So, if you apply for CPR for this year, and it's awarded, you'll get full funding for this year.

This is my understanding too.
Original post by OU Student
This is my understanding too.

It is actually rather annoying as initially I believed it would go on to the end of your entitlement.. which is the sole reason I am going part time university now, instead of full time as I thought I couldn't afford it. I don't think I have seen anywhere that SFE actually state it goes on the beginning (although it would make sense).
Reply 10
I rang sf and lady said it if awarded goes on year 2 as its only a year at a time u can claim CPR which I don't understand as I applying for this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending