The Student Room Group

‘Topping up Degree’ Student loan eligibility?

Hi there, I am writing on behalf a family member who doesn’t t have the student room but would like some advice regarding if he may be eligible for student finance?

Background:
He started a 4 year engineering course (Engineering with a foundation degree) in 2018. He completed his foundation year , his 1st year then started his 2nd year but failed and then sat his 2nd again but didn’t officially complete his second year (I think), however was awarded a Diploma of Higher Education. He didn’t successfully complete his course due to poor mental health and very poor support from the University. So in total he studied for 4 years and achieved a DipHE.

He is now looking into completing a ‘Top Up’ degree so he can achieve a Bachelor’s and wondered if he would be eligible for SF? The Top Up degree would be in engineering and I believe he would like to study full time, so the course would be 1 year. From the calculations used online, I don’t believe he would be eligible for any more student funding but we wanted to check first before looking into self funding. Many thanks
Original post by darcydavis18
Hi there, I am writing on behalf a family member who doesn’t t have the student room but would like some advice regarding if he may be eligible for student finance?

Background:
He started a 4 year engineering course (Engineering with a foundation degree) in 2018. He completed his foundation year , his 1st year then started his 2nd year but failed and then sat his 2nd again but didn’t officially complete his second year (I think), however was awarded a Diploma of Higher Education. He didn’t successfully complete his course due to poor mental health and very poor support from the University. So in total he studied for 4 years and achieved a DipHE.

He is now looking into completing a ‘Top Up’ degree so he can achieve a Bachelor’s and wondered if he would be eligible for SF? The Top Up degree would be in engineering and I believe he would like to study full time, so the course would be 1 year. From the calculations used online, I don’t believe he would be eligible for any more student funding but we wanted to check first before looking into self funding. Many thanks

Hi there. Could you please confirm the full name of the course and university for the new course? When would they be looking to start? Thanks, Leah.
Reply 2
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Could you please confirm the full name of the course and university for the new course? When would they be looking to start? Thanks, Leah.

Hi Leah,
This is the course they are interested in.

https://www.northampton.ac.uk/courses/engineering-topup-bsc-hons/#:~:text=This%20course%20aims%20to%20develop,an%20equivalent%20qualification%20in%20Engineering.

It is called ‘Engineering (Top-Up) BSc (Hons)’ and taught by the University of Northampton.

I believe he would be looking to start in September 2024. I’d be grateful if you could also advise if he would be eligible for student loans for part time study, if he is not eligible for full time study due to his previous study? Thanks
Original post by darcydavis18
Hi Leah,
This is the course they are interested in.

https://www.northampton.ac.uk/courses/engineering-topup-bsc-hons/#:~:text=This%20course%20aims%20to%20develop,an%20equivalent%20qualification%20in%20Engineering.

It is called ‘Engineering (Top-Up) BSc (Hons)’ and taught by the University of Northampton.

I believe he would be looking to start in September 2024. I’d be grateful if you could also advise if he would be eligible for student loans for part time study, if he is not eligible for full time study due to his previous study? Thanks

Hi there,

Based on what you have advised they wouldn't be eligible for the top up due to the previous study. Do they have compelling personal reason why they didn't complete their previous course?

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending