The Student Room Group

Think I have cleithrophobia, ruining my life

I'm not very good at explaining this....

Basically about a year ago I got a new job and it involved being under quite alot of pressure. I started to feel physical symptoms of illness. I work in big shop and often find myself being left on the shopfloor alone and I think it has opened up my world to a whole load of anxiety.

Over time my fear of being trapped on the shop floor has developed to being trapped in ANY occasion, literally any ridiculous thing you would never even think about scares me to death. I begin feeling a sense of dread and worry when I know I am stuck somewhere, then I begin to sweat and feel sick, then comes the shaking and over thinking until eventually I get the urge to go the toilet and I start to panic that i'm stuck and won't make it or I feel like I cant breath. With these symptoms being in my head because I worry so much they become a reality. I'm pretty sure I have developed IBS. I used to travel all the time now I barely leave my house :frown: I don't know how to change this, it seems like a vicious circle of worry and physical symptoms.

I am really freaking out at the minute as I have a big meeting to go to about a 2 hour drive away, There are no trains at the time I need to be there and I am literally scared stiff. I can't sit in a car on a one way road with no escape for hours, something that used to be so tedious.

I wanted to travel the world and now I'm nervous whenever I leave my house.
Has anyone ever overcome this? or have any tips on how to calm myself down?
Hi, I'm going through something similar currently (hence anon). In fact I've been experiencing serious anxiety and depression for 6 years to the point that I eventually became agoraphobic for a few months. I eventually overcame that but remained extremely anxious and avoidant. I am going to uni this year and I am going to see the uni GP and arrange to take advantage of the uni-provided counselling service. I don't know what stage your at, but if you're at uni, I strongly suggest you do the same, especially if you've only started experiencing this stuff recently; it will become much harder the longer you leave it. CBT is very effective at dealing with anxiety problems.
Reply 2
Hi,

I am exactly the same. i can no longer get on the bus, i struggle to be in the car with anyone else.. especially when i get stuck in a traffic jam! i have to sit close to the door at university and i have to sit with no one next to me so i feel like i have space around me. I have found that i seem to have a fear of what people will think of me if i suddenly have the need to get out of the situation. especially if i am in a queue or in class. i have found strangely that staying cold is one thing that has helped... because it seems to cover the hot sweaty feeling that comes on by the anxiety. also taking my shoes off seems to help. another thing is to tell people that you have a problem, sometimes i dont explain what the real problem is because people really dont understand. my main excuse was i have a bladder infection.. this is a great excuse to leave the room a lot. but you will be suprised how many people understand some parts of the phobia.. for example get nervous talking to the whole class.. its the same thing although it may not take over their life as much as it does for me. and dont underestimate the power of just breathing.. sometimes it works and other times it doesnt.. i now read alot about mindfullness which has helped and i have stoped listening to depressing songs because you dont need things in your life bringing you down! it only makes you feel worse!

good luck :smile:
I would see a doctor and ask to be referred for some therapy of some sort. The waiting lists are long so in the short term, you might be offered some anti anxiety medication to help you deal with things day to day.
Reply 4
the IBS might just be an anxiety symptom, the first thing that messes up in anxiety is your stomach so I don't think you have IBS but rather high anxiety, I suggest going to the doctor and being referred to CBT. or if not that being put on anxiety medication. what you said about feeling ill needing the loo and panicking sounds like a panic attack.

when you feel the panic coming on, deep breathing is the key, drop everything else go out of the room or where ever you are into somewhere quiet where you can sit and concentrate and just concentrate on breathing, pretend there is a candle that you want to just make flicker but not blow it out and take deep breaths in and blow out slowly keep doing that and stay focused on that, if you start to panic again tell yourself that its just a panic attack nothing to worry about it cant hurt you and if you keep breathing deeply you will start to feel better

I know its scary but everything you feel at that time, hyperventilation, sweating, trembling, upset stomach everything is just a panic attack and it is something you can control and stop.
I have the same thing but with the underground tube. I was fine before but it suddenly came to me one day, I used to get the underground to and from work everyday. Now I can't go anywhere near it without having a panic attack and needing my inhaler But nothing happened to make it it become so serous. I have OCD, anxiety and panic attacks anyway but i have never had this fear before. Just another thing to add to the list I guess!

Quick Reply

Latest