The Student Room Group

Need guidance...

Good evening all,

Being new here, I thought I'd start be saying hello.

"Hello".

Now the introductions are over, I should get onto the problem at hand: applying to university. Last summer I kinda flunked my AS levels with A, B, C & D. This was due to a combination of issues at home and general apathy towards revision. I am back on the straight and narrow, but need some help vis a vis choosing what sort of unis I should realistically be applying to (3 A's, ABB etc.).

I have dropped the D and will be re-sitting the C, and I have decided I will be carrying the A, geography, onto uni.

I really want to go to Exeter (AAB-ABB), and I'm looking at others including Leeds (AAA), Bristol (AAA), Southampton (ABB) & Edinburgh/ Durham (A*AA).

Discuss.
Original post by oldpine
Good evening all,

Being new here, I thought I'd start be saying hello.

"Hello".

Now the introductions are over, I should get onto the problem at hand: applying to university. Last summer I kinda flunked my AS levels with A, B, C & D. This was due to a combination of issues at home and general apathy towards revision. I am back on the straight and narrow, but need some help vis a vis choosing what sort of unis I should realistically be applying to (3 A's, ABB etc.).

I have dropped the D and will be re-sitting the C, and I have decided I will be carrying the A, geography, onto uni.

I really want to go to Exeter (AAB-ABB), and I'm looking at others including Leeds (AAA), Bristol (AAA), Southampton (ABB) & Edinburgh/ Durham (A*AA).

Discuss.

I think they may be out of your reach unless you're able to get a tutor to predict you AAB/ABB.

It's also about your personal statement and interview (if you have one) as well as your grades. If you're predicted less than the grades they require, you probably won't get an offer.

If you can't get predicted enough to get you in to those universities, but are confident you can get the grades, you could decide to take a gap year, and apply once you already have the grades. This would probably enable you to get in to a better university.

On the other hand, Durham had quite a lot of places in Clearing this year for ABB+ students. So, if you can get the grades you could potentially go there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Considering my B was 1 UMS of an A, I'm re-sitting the C and my A was >90% I could end up with predicted grades of A*AB- AAB. Even if my predicted grades fall within their requirements, will they take one look at my AS results and put my application in the bin?
Reply 3
They may give you an offer, but it might be higher than you're able to achieve. If there are any unis that do ABC and lower I would look into those, in case you don't do well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending