The Student Room Group

Applying to university - course help!

Hey, I am currently doing an extra year of A-levels since my first 2 years were bad. I currently have an AS in sociology - D and 2 A2's in Textiles and Psychology - D and E, respectively. So not very good at all. My subject choices weren't off my interest but I enjoy sociology. I made the mistake of carrying onto A2 rather than starting the year again. But, yeah, anyway, I'm hoping to get at least a C, overall in Sociology at A2, maybe even a B if I work hard. I'm also doing 2 AS' now, Law and English Lang/Lit.

I hope to apply to uni this year and I would like to do Sociology and Criminology combined honours and I was wondering whether it'd be better if I apply for a foundation course or just degree courses? I was also wondering if I could apply for both foundation and degree courses at the same uni? I want to apply to University of East London and they offer a combined honours degree in Criminology and Sociology and entry requirements is 240 tariff points. Whereas, they also have a Sociology Extended BA hons course, with which the entry requirements is 120 tariff points. Would it be best to do that, then go on to degree level course in Criminology and Sociology? Would that be possible?

TL;DR: Can you apply for foundation courses and degree level courses on your UCAS application? Thank you.
Contact them and ask - in most cases it's best to apply for whichever course has the highest requirements. Then once UCAS process your application contact the uni and let them know that if they can't make you an offer for the course you've chosen then you'd like to be considered for the lower requirement course too before they reject you.

That way you keep a choice free on your UCAS.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Contact them and ask - in most cases it's best to apply for whichever course has the highest requirements. Then once UCAS process your application contact the uni and let them know that if they can't make you an offer for the course you've chosen then you'd like to be considered for the lower requirement course too before they reject you.

That way you keep a choice free on your UCAS.

Thank you for the reply! I've emailed them, hopefully I get a reply soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending