The Student Room Group

Are these fair predicted grades?

My life is now totally screwed. I needed to be predicted ABB but i've been predicted BBB. Last year for AS i achieved BBB, so they haven't even moved me up a grade (i was predicted CCC but got BBB for AS) My modules for the BBB at AS were A/B A/C and A/D

:frown: Help? Should i appeal? I can't apply anywhere i want to go with BBB. I'm considering not going to university now, i see no point if it's not a good course. I work incredibly hard, and with retakes of the C module and B module (i had a bad day which caused the B) i think i could get atleast one A at A2

please help!
Reply 1
I would talk to your teachers about the predictions, look at all your UMS points with them from each module and work out how much you need to get in A2 to achieve ABB. If you think you can achieve what you need to then try and persuade them to raise your predictions. If it's not going to be a realistic prediction then it's probably not worth getting it raised as it may just lead to disappointment come results day and you need to think of your options such as taking another year of A Levels to boost your grades or considering different courses at different universities.
Remember, teachers dont predict lower grades than you might have hoped for out of spite, they do actually have your best interests at heart. There is nothing more miserable than Results Day when you watch everybody else jumping up and down and shrieking 'I'm going to Uni!' and you arent going anywhere, because you applied way over your head where you had no chance of getting the required grades - and your teachers always knew you didnt.

However, if you really are confident you can get grades higher than your predictions, then all you have to do is wait until you've done your A2s and apply with known grades. No guesswork, no notice taken of your AS grades and you could spend the entire year concentrating on your course work rather than getting distracted with all the UCAS stuff. Recommended.
In your case, I would say that is a tad harsh considering you only need one grade above what you got.

Nothing infuriates me more when you see people getting BBC (or something like that) and somehow getting predicted A*AA out of the blue. It helps no one in reality.

I'm guessing the subject you got A/B in is a fairly high B? In which case, there's definitely a case for bumping the predicted grade to an A.

However, most students are predicted a grade higher in subjects because they've done four AS levels and then dropped one at A2 and you only did three at AS, and A2 is harder than AS, so this may be why they've kept it at BBB.

Have a chat with your teachers.
This sounds really unfair. I would talk to each of your subject teachers and try to explain to them why you are going to improve and how you are going to improve. My chemistry teacher used to accept it if a student wanted a higher prediction but he makes them do a mock test and see how high they score on that. Maybe suggest the mock idea to your teachers?
Reply 5
Original post by Scratchyjam
In your case, I would say that is a tad harsh considering you only need one grade above what you got.

Nothing infuriates me more when you see people getting BBC (or something like that) and somehow getting predicted A*AA out of the blue. It helps no one in reality.

I'm guessing the subject you got A/B in is a fairly high B? In which case, there's definitely a case for bumping the predicted grade to an A.

However, most students are predicted a grade higher in subjects because they've done four AS levels and then dropped one at A2 and you only did three at AS, and A2 is harder than AS, so this may be why they've kept it at BBB.

Have a chat with your teachers.

I did 4 at AS, i got BBBC but dropped the C, didn't think it relevant to this question that's all :smile:
Original post by heykiwi
My life is now totally screwed. I needed to be predicted ABB but i've been predicted BBB. Last year for AS i achieved BBB, so they haven't even moved me up a grade (i was predicted CCC but got BBB for AS) My modules for the BBB at AS were A/B A/C and A/D

:frown: Help? Should i appeal? I can't apply anywhere i want to go with BBB. I'm considering not going to university now, i see no point if it's not a good course. I work incredibly hard, and with retakes of the C module and B module (i had a bad day which caused the B) i think i could get atleast one A at A2

please help!

What subjects are you currently doing? What do you want to do and university and which universities are you considering applying to? Could you not persuade one teacher to predict you an A, perhaps the subject that your B was the highest in?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymousgirll
What subjects are you currently doing? What do you want to do and university and which universities are you considering applying to? Could you not persuade one teacher to predict you an A, perhaps the subject that your B was the highest in?

I'm doing English, business and geography. My highest grade will probably be English which i got the A/B in so that's my realistic hope for an A. I want to apply for management at Leicester and Reading (ABB) and a i'm not sure for the others, i've had to scrap my plans for AAB places. Our teacher's didn't decide them, the head of sixth form did, he uses statistics which is stupid. the only option i have is to appeal.
Original post by heykiwi

please help!

Just focus on working as hard as you can. The fact is that if you get ABB or better from the work your putting in you may not be able to get offers from Universities via UCAS but you may find opportunities for the Universities your looking for through clearing and adjustment. Most Universities can lower their grade expectations and you may find your at a better University then you thought. So don't give up, concentrate on the work at hand you won't regret it.
Unfortunately, you can't force your teachers to predict you higher (although it might be worth discussing your English grade with your teacher and asking if there's any way he can be persuaded to predict you an A). However, if you do get higher than your predicted grades, you can apply to universities next year, or use adjustment so you can still go to the universities you want to go to (provided you get the grades of course!).
Reply 10
Im in the same position as you, I think you still have a good shot though, if you apply with predicted grades BBB for an ABB course you'll probably get an offer of ABB, then its just down to you to achieve those grades. It's better than people with BDD who get predicted AAA, then get offers but fail to secure a place at uni on results day.
Original post by heykiwi

please help!

This is probably something they wont tell you at school.

Predicted grades are nothing in real life, they wont screw up your life so stop overreacting. Think of it like this, every school in the UK will have different ways to predict grades, whether it be always 1+ AS, or =AS, or 50% between grade boundaries or whatever. Its an unfair system which universities do understand.

They make their own predictions. They see your AS and see if the jump is possible, but more importantly see your motivation to do the course. Who looks better--you with a BBB at AS, predicted BBB or someone with CCC predicted ABB?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending