Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hay I wanted to go into computer engineering once I get into uni, but I do not know what coarse to take, to get me in. I just done my first year of A levels and I did not enjoy it, so I am trying a btec instead, would I have better luck getting into CE by Studying IT or Engineering ?

At the moment I am studying engineering but I was thinking of switching to IT.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Anyone ??

ReputationRep:
    ?????

ReputationRep:
    Do electrical engineering btec since it covers mathematics and further mathematics for technician module, computer engineering requires good mathematical ability unlike computer science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for answering my question. Ah okay that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    I am also undecided whether to choose level 3 electrical engineering or IT practioner. At the moment Im not sure whether i want to do Electronic Engineering at Uni, or Computer Science, should I do Electrical engineering since it covers maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ojusrane)
    I am also undecided whether to choose level 3 electrical engineering or IT practioner. At the moment Im not sure whether i want to do Electronic Engineering at Uni, or Computer Science, should I do Electrical engineering since it covers maths?
    Level 3 IT practitioners has a lot of content that is not really relevant to Computer Science. E-commerce and "employability skills" for example are some of the things we've covered in the first half term.

I've no idea what electrical engineering is like at level 3 so I can't really advise you to go for that, but level 3 IT covers lots of aspects of IT so I guess you'd have more choice for progression when compared to electrical engineering?

Sorry, that was more of a spiel of useless info than advice :P

ReputationRep:
    I presume IT will only get you into Computer science, but EE can get you into CS and EE, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowfang)
    I presume IT will only get you into Computer science, but EE can get you into CS and EE, I think.
    Also im studying A Level Maths as a private candidate, how much will that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A hell lot

ReputationRep:
    why does the a level help since extended btec is equivalent to 3 a levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setdrfi)
    why does the a level help since extended btec is equivalent to 3 a levels?
    a) Some unis like people to have A-Level maths alongside it so that they have a good enough maths ability
    b) This thread is from 2013

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    a) Some unis like people to have A-Level maths alongside it so that they have a good enough maths ability
    b) This thread is from 2013
    Thanks

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.