The Student Room Group

Computer engineering Degree- IT btec or Electrical engineering btec level 3

Hay I wanted to go into computer engineering once I get into uni, but I do not know what coarse to take, to get me in. I just done my first year of A levels and I did not enjoy it, so I am trying a btec instead, would I have better luck getting into CE by Studying IT or Engineering ?

At the moment I am studying engineering but I was thinking of switching to IT.

Thank you
Reply 1
Anyone ??
Reply 2
?????
Reply 3
Do electrical engineering btec since it covers mathematics and further mathematics for technician module, computer engineering requires good mathematical ability unlike computer science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank you for answering my question. Ah okay that makes sense.
Reply 5
I am also undecided whether to choose level 3 electrical engineering or IT practioner. At the moment Im not sure whether i want to do Electronic Engineering at Uni, or Computer Science, should I do Electrical engineering since it covers maths?
Original post by ojusrane
I am also undecided whether to choose level 3 electrical engineering or IT practioner. At the moment Im not sure whether i want to do Electronic Engineering at Uni, or Computer Science, should I do Electrical engineering since it covers maths?

Level 3 IT practitioners has a lot of content that is not really relevant to Computer Science. E-commerce and "employability skills" for example are some of the things we've covered in the first half term.

I've no idea what electrical engineering is like at level 3 so I can't really advise you to go for that, but level 3 IT covers lots of aspects of IT so I guess you'd have more choice for progression when compared to electrical engineering?

Sorry, that was more of a spiel of useless info than advice :P
Reply 7
I presume IT will only get you into Computer science, but EE can get you into CS and EE, I think.
Reply 8
Original post by Shadowfang
I presume IT will only get you into Computer science, but EE can get you into CS and EE, I think.

Also im studying A Level Maths as a private candidate, how much will that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Reply 10
A hell lot
Reply 11
why does the a level help since extended btec is equivalent to 3 a levels?
Original post by setdrfi
why does the a level help since extended btec is equivalent to 3 a levels?

a) Some unis like people to have A-Level maths alongside it so that they have a good enough maths ability
b) This thread is from 2013
Reply 13
Original post by Bill Nye
a) Some unis like people to have A-Level maths alongside it so that they have a good enough maths ability
b) This thread is from 2013

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending