The Student Room Group

Gay and Lesbian Parents

As being gay is now more widely accepted, I was wondering, what do you think of the whole Gay/Lesbian family setup?

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it I but I know that a lot of people out there think that it is 'unnatural' and 'damaging' to the children and that they will be exposed to endless amount of teasing and bullying in the playground.

So yeah, what are your views on it? and also, if YOU had gay/lesbian parents, would you feel embarrassed about it and that you felt you had to hide it?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Gay people should definitely have the right to have children.All a family needs is love:h:
No more homophobia!
Any couple should be able to adopt a child, provided at least one of them is a woman.

I think children deserve mothers. I'm for every gay right imaginable, just not when it impinges on the rights of other people. That is the core principle; my freedom to swing my fist ends where your nose begins.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't think any parent is defined by their sexual orientation, but no i don't see anything wrong with it.
Besides children don't really tend to think about their parents love life/ bedroom antics so again i find it a little weird to comment.

Maybe I just don't understand the question.
Reply 4
I think, for example, if 2 men adopted a girl they should have a close female relative for the girl :smile: (and vice versa)
Original post by JustGetHappy
As being gay is now more widely accepted, I was wondering, what do you think of the whole Gay/Lesbian family setup?

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it I but I know that a lot of people out there think that it is 'unnatural' and 'damaging' to the children and that they will be exposed to endless amount of teasing and bullying in the playground.

So yeah, what are your views on it?

I'm quite biased on this as I prefer guys when it comes down to a relationship. But in all fairness I don't see why this should be an issue. A child, in this case, wouldn't be an accident or be a burden to the parents has they would have to seek either adoption or surrigation, which I'm sure is a more thorough process in regards to capability of the parents than how a male and female couple would become pregnant.

This leads on to how the child is more likely to two loving parents to help them grow into the adult they would like to become. I've heard the argument about how the child wouldn't get either a male or female influence and I quite like the single parent counter-argument to that. I'm sure the same-sex couple would have some friends of the opposite sex who can help the child with 'female' matters or 'male' matters.

Plus surely it would be preferable for a child to grow up in a 'household environment' (if you get what I mean) than an orphanage.
If anything, the child grows up with more tolerance towards homosexuality. I don't think it's a bad thing to have gay/lesbian parents, and I wouldn't be ashamed of having them myself :smile:
In my opinion f someone wants a child and will love and cherish the child and look after the child they should have a child/children,it doesn't matter what their sexual orientation is.:smile:
Reply 8
I don't see what the big deal is who is anybody to dictate peoples lives for them i wouldn't be in to that sort of thing but i sure wouldn't judge gay people for wanting children its their life people should back off them and get on with their own life's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
happy fulfilled parent ....that should be the priority nothing else matters !
Reply 10
Original post by felamaslen
Any couple should be able to adopt a child, provided at least one of them is a woman.

I'm for every gay right imaginable

Interesting.
Original post by Treeroy
Interesting.

Interesting that you left out the latter part of that sentence.
Reply 12

Would you let a single guy adopt?
Original post by pjm600
Would you let a single guy adopt?

If the child was old enough to make that decision then yes; the same goes for two men. But I think for a young child (or from just after birth) there should be a woman involved.
Reply 14
As long as the kid is raised properly with none of this "gender neutral" bull****, I don't have a problem with it
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
I think you run a good chance of ruining someone's childhood, as they're bullied and humiliated for something they never got to choose.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Interesting that you left out the latter part of that sentence.

Not really. Gay adoption doesn't infringe upon anyone's rights, so it was an irrelevant part of the sentence.

Also, do you think black people should be allowed to have children?
Original post by Treeroy
Not really. Gay adoption doesn't infringe upon anyone's rights, so it was an irrelevant part of the sentence.

Also, do you think black people should be allowed to have children?

I specifically made clear my objection which was that I think it is the right of a child - a young child, at least - to have a mother. What on earth has the colour of someone's skin got to do with anything? :confused:

Gay adoption in itself does not infringe upon anybody's rights, but I believe that two men (or one man) adopting a child infringes upon that child's right to have a mother. It has literally nothing to do with the fact that the two men are gay. I could not care less about that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Why would you put your child through the humiliation because YOU wanted a child? I just don't get it.

If society changes then it's ok but for now you just know that people are going to make fun of your child. And that is so damaging to people's self esteem.
Original post by Al-Mudaari
I think you run a good chance of ruining someone's childhood, as they're bullied and humiliated for something they never got to choose.

Now there's a rarity: a post by Al-Mudaari that I could begin to agree with.

Why is nobody here mentioning the rights of the child? Children are also humans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending