The Student Room Group

Year 13- No proper friends in sixth form

I'm in year 13 atm. I moved areas before I went to sixth form, in this sixth form everyone already knew each other for many many years and they all had their friendship groups. I managed to make friends with some people and I hang out with them at lunch and frees, however after school I never see any of these people and I hang with no one except for in school, it's so depressing. Also some people don't like me for some reason. I don't have anyone to go cinemas with, hang with, never invited to parties etc

what do
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Iuare
I'm in year 13 atm. I moved areas before I went to sixth form, in this sixth form everyone already knew each other for many many years and they all had their friendship groups. I managed to make friends with some people and I hang out with them at lunch and frees, however after school I never see any of these people and I hang with no one except for in school, it's so depressing. Also some people don't like me for some reason. I don't have anyone to go cinemas with, hang with, never invited to parties etc

what do

Well, I know where you're coming from. During high school I had a small group of friends and I did know everyone in my year, and we all made small talk now and again but I had at least 4-5 in my small group of friends who I'd sit with at breaks and lunches and during classes, etc. But I never saw them outside of school unless it was a special event such as a birthday or a fundraiser or a party or some sort. I saw one of my friends more than the others, usually at least once or twice a week. Maybe you should invite one or two of them round to your house, or for a trip to the cinema or whatever else you'd like to do with your friends. See how that goes. If it doesn't work out, you're not the only one. I guess we differ in terms of, I didn't mind not seeing anyone outside of school and I preferred staying at home.
Good luck. :biggrin:
I didn't have any proper friends in year 13 either, I only had a couple of acquaintances. Just busy your time with your work, it'll pay off.
Reply 3
could you walk to a another, nearby sixth form, who might be more open and friendly?
Reply 4
Original post by Gemmer_
Well, I know where you're coming from. During high school I had a small group of friends and I did know everyone in my year, and we all made small talk now and again but I had at least 4-5 in my small group of friends who I'd sit with at breaks and lunches and during classes, etc. But I never saw them outside of school unless it was a special event such as a birthday or a fundraiser or a party or some sort. I saw one of my friends more than the others, usually at least once or twice a week. Maybe you should invite one or two of them round to your house, or for a trip to the cinema or whatever else you'd like to do with your friends. See how that goes. If it doesn't work out, you're not the only one. I guess we differ in terms of, I didn't mind not seeing anyone outside of school and I preferred staying at home.
Good luck. :biggrin:

Thanks, not sure if they would want to hang with me after school though
Reply 5
Original post by Iuare
Thanks, not sure if they would want to hang with me after school though

As they say..you wont know until you try! :colondollar:
Reply 6
Well you could try organizing something like a meet/ cinema or whatever and see if anyone responds...it may be that they do not think you'd want to go or something.

With regards to people not liking you have they actually said this??? If I were you I'd ask why or whether or not is true. I find it hard to believe that people can't like you when they don't even know you...
I mean I'm not really sure how to deal with that just ignore them...maybe you can mix with people from another sixth form/ college or even those in the younger years (most likely year 12 some of them may even be retaking the year so could be your age).
Maybe join some clubs in your school or do some extra curriculars??? You can mix better that way. I sometimes play football with the guys cos they have a game every Friday and lots of new guys have been able to make friends that way.
Its hard in sixth form esp. during the last year but you could always just join some clubs outside of school and that, create some friendships there...do you have a local youth club or something???

Hope this helps you :smile:
I know this feeling, echoed into University for me too.

But it's part of growing up too - how many true friends do your parents have? Probably less than 5. So don't worry about some of these people as they won't be part of your life forever!

Focus on what you need to do at Sixth Form, and maybe think about joining a club or something outside of Sixth Form to meet people that way.
Reply 8
Original post by lucine.B
Well you could try organizing something like a meet/ cinema or whatever and see if anyone responds...it may be that they do not think you'd want to go or something.

With regards to people not liking you have they actually said this??? If I were you I'd ask why or whether or not is true. I find it hard to believe that people can't like you when they don't even know you...
I mean I'm not really sure how to deal with that just ignore them...maybe you can mix with people from another sixth form/ college or even those in the younger years (most likely year 12 some of them may even be retaking the year so could be your age).
Maybe join some clubs in your school or do some extra curriculars??? You can mix better that way. I sometimes play football with the guys cos they have a game every Friday and lots of new guys have been able to make friends that way.
Its hard in sixth form esp. during the last year but you could always just join some clubs outside of school and that, create some friendships there...do you have a local youth club or something???

Hope this helps you :smile:

Wel ever since I've been there some people have been quite rude when I try to talk to them and stuff.
Thanks for the advice
Reply 9
Original post by pinkpenguin
I know this feeling, echoed into University for me too.

But it's part of growing up too - how many true friends do your parents have? Probably less than 5. So don't worry about some of these people as they won't be part of your life forever!

Focus on what you need to do at Sixth Form, and maybe think about joining a club or something outside of Sixth Form to meet people that way.

Well my parents have a lot of friends unlike me.
Does this continue into uni? I hope not lol I thought being in uni where you lived with people it'd be a lot easier?
When you go into uni, you will make you're proper friends for life. Who you'd probably progress with career wise. 6th form friends ain't all that important. Just focus on your a-levels to get into the top universities i'd say
Reply 11
Original post by Abdul-Karim
When you go into uni, you will make you're proper friends for life. Who you'd probably progress with career wise. 6th form friends ain't all that important. Just focus on your a-levels to get into the top universities i'd say

Hope this is true
Original post by Maid Marian
I didn't have any proper friends in year 13 either, I only had a couple of acquaintances. Just busy your time with your work, it'll pay off.

Awful advice lol, I'd rather have Us and be happy with a few mates.
Reply 13
Original post by Iuare
Well ever since I've been there some people have been quite rude when I try to talk to them and stuff.
Thanks for the advice

Define 'rude'.
I see, I guess all you can do is try not much else really. But honestly its good to have a social life but it really isn't that important they're obviously not interested in getting to know you and ya seem like a nice guy that would be fun to hang out with :smile: Their loss tbh. Like I said just try making friends outside of school.
I think just focus on your studies, I mean we don't go to school for friends...you'll make a ton of friends at uni don't worry :smile:
You are most welcome!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Little Boots

Are you kidding me? You're the one giving awful advice, mate.
Are you kidding me? You're the one giving awful advice, mate.

I disagree. Happiness is more important than grades. I'm a little surprised you don't agree, seen as you got amazing grades and you're really really miserable in life.
Reply 16
force yourself to meetup with people.
I disagree. Happiness is more important than grades. I'm a little surprised you don't agree, seen as you got amazing grades and you're really really miserable in life.

Yeah, but you need good grades to get anywhere in life. I'd rather have no friends and good grades than have friends (who will probably forget you anyway) and crap grades.

Friends come and go, grades are forever.
Yeah, but you need good grades to get anywhere in life. I'd rather have no friends and good grades than have friends (who will probably forget you anyway) and crap grades.

Friends come and go, grades are forever.

Ladies and gentlemen of TSR, consider this post, and make your responses known. Are these the words of a sheltered madwoman, or a wise and informed young woman? The choice is yours.

Some are lucky enough to have good grades and good friends.

it's about finding a balance I think - you can't go too far either way. OP, work hard and at the same time, try to be friendly, chatty and outgoing with those around you. If you're lucky enough to be around genuinely nice people, you will automatically make friends. There is a bit of luck involved - if you feel like it just isn't happening right now, then don't lose heart. Things are likely to brighten up once you either go to uni or find a job. Don't beat yourself up about it, and best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest