The Student Room Group

Not at uni, how to get out of tenancy agreement.

Hey

So i signed for a house back in May... didnt pay a bond of anything... when i moved out of my other house i moved some things over to my new place to keep over the summer so i didnt have to take everything home... I was meant to move into my new place in september but i found out from the uni that i couldnt carry on with my next year and had to take a year out before i could retake my 2nd.... so i moved my stuff back home and havent been living in the student house however i have just gotten a letter off the landlord stating he wants the full years rent and all that... im just wondering what my options are as i have no money as im currently looking for a job.. and surely there should be some sort of protection against this if your told to leave University...
Reply 1
I'm not sure about any "protection" you're covered by due to being told to leave Uni. but you signed a contract that ties you to the property, and its rent for however long stated (usually just under the year). Therefore, you, or your guarantor (if you have one in this contact) are personally responsible to pay the full amount. You may be able to get out of it if you find a replacement tenant, but your landlord may reserve the right to dismiss anyone you find for multiple reasons. This is the general gist as to how it works from what I've seen/heard over the past couple years. Your best bet is to talk to the landlord to see if there is anyway or sorting it out, as if you just drop out of the contract then they will have lost a potential full year of rent. Other than that I suggest talking to your Student Union, or the Accommodation Services at the Uni.
If you signed a contract with a private landlord unfortunately you have to still pay it even if you leave. You might be able to find someone who can take over the contract for you (if you advertise on facebook groups and the like) but it's quite late in the academic year now. Worth a try though. Keep posting because sometimes students come over for half a semester so even if you can't find someone until Christmas, you may get someone to take it over from you for the next semester.
Unless your contract specifically states that you don't have to pay if you leave uni, then you still have to pay I'm afraid.

You've signed a contract, and you're bound by it unless you can find a replacement, I'm afraid. If you don't pay up then the landlord can
- take you to court, where he will win; if you still don't pay up you'll get a CCJ which will destroy your credit rating for 6 years
- take your guarantor to court where he will win; if they still don't pay up they'll get a CCJ which will destroy their credit rating for 6 years
- if you're on a joint and several tenancy, take your housemates to court where he will win; if they still don't pay up they'll get a CCJ which will destroy their credit rating for 6 years, and destroy your friendship.

Sorry, but you have to pay up.
Having read all the issues of students being forced into paying rent for a room that they don’t want due todifferent problems arising whilst at university THE LAW MUST CHANGE how is an out of work ex student expected to pay a years rent to these SHARKS who won’t release them from their contracts, it’s wrong, these SHARKS get the students to sign months before they need to, anything can happen before the end of term, 1) fail their exams 2) get kicked out of university 3) or other unforeseen circumstances, but yet the SHARKS hold them to a years rent, the SHARKS receive £ 85.00 a week approximately £4000 per year off each student, big profits so one or two drop outs should not be a problem but they are greedy, I’m on to my MP to get these contracts changed so the students can stop worrying about entering these ridiculous contracts with these SHARKS and be allowed to get on with their lives without being hounded.
Original post by Alan Nickle
Having read all the issues of students being forced into paying rent for a room that they don’t want due todifferent problems arising whilst at university THE LAW MUST CHANGE how is an out of work ex student expected to pay a years rent to these SHARKS who won’t release them from their contracts, it’s wrong, these SHARKS get the students to sign months before they need to, anything can happen before the end of term, 1) fail their exams 2) get kicked out of university 3) or other unforeseen circumstances, but yet the SHARKS hold them to a years rent, the SHARKS receive £ 85.00 a week approximately £4000 per year off each student, big profits so one or two drop outs should not be a problem but they are greedy, I’m on to my MP to get these contracts changed so the students can stop worrying about entering these ridiculous contracts with these SHARKS and be allowed to get on with their lives without being hounded.

Aside from the fact that this is a crazy old thread...

Why should a landlord loose £4-6k off their yearly income. Especially when they could have filled the room with anotehr student and made that money.

Welcome to the adult world. You also have to sign to pay rent (usually with a minimum term) and you could still lose your job, break up with your boyfriend or whatever else could cause living problems. If you make a commitment to pay something you have to pay it.

Landlords are not sharks. They are people running a business. A BUSINESS not a charity.

If you want to be safe as a student then wait and sign up for whatever free room you can find in August/September when you're sure you'll be going back.
Original post by doodle_333
Aside from the fact that this is a crazy old thread...

Why should a landlord loose £4-6k off their yearly income. Especially when they could have filled the room with anotehr student and made that money.

Welcome to the adult world. You also have to sign to pay rent (usually with a minimum term) and you could still lose your job, break up with your boyfriend or whatever else could cause living problems. If you make a commitment to pay something you have to pay it.

Landlords are not sharks. They are people running a business. A BUSINESS not a charity.

If you want to be safe as a student then wait and sign up for whatever free room you can find in August/September when you're sure you'll be going back.

Yeah I completely agree with this. What do you think happens in the real world when you get a mortgage and then have to give up work to care for a relative etc? Sadly life just isn’t fair but the mentality of a lot of students seems to be an entitled one where others should bend the rules and put themselves out of pocket just to cater for them? If you didn’t get the grades to get back in then that’s your problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending